I now understand why the Bills passed on DK Metcalf

HOUSE

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Did you send letters to each team #40 to #61 and tell them they were incompetent? 

If he SHOULD have gone before #40 he would have.

I think he means getting his willie wet.

A bit harsh there. Everyone has opinions. Didnt Beane just say (on WGR radio) that Sills should have been drafted over a  bunch of WRs that were actually drafted.  Or Tyree Jackson. We are not asking him to send letters to all those teams saying they were incompetent. The whole fun of being on this forum is that we can second guess picks and offer our opinions, no? FWIW,  I made it clear with "IMO" that what I said was opinion, not fact. 

51 minutes ago, the skycap said:

DK's flaw was being a competitor and running the cone drills. He should've done like Julio and Calvin and said thanks, but no thanks to the cones

I'm hoping, for the Bills sake, that Crabbs and crew are wrong about him. 

You raise a good point about skipping the cone drills, I hadn't thought of that. The decision to do the cone drills most likely cost him a good chunk of change.

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I actually didn’t want Metcalf but I really thought they’d get a WR in the 3rd or even in the 2nd. Now that the dust has cleared I’m going to really watching to see how our 2, 3, and 4 picks pan out. This year’s draft grade will hinge on those three guys.

Cody Ford is going to make this a A just by himself

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Not many that I've been to...

Image result for dk metcalf

Its a good thing that football play is not solely based on this.......

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

None are the physical specimen that DK is. 

He is your 50/50 guy. The guy who can go up and get the ball..... he may flame out but I'd much rather they take a shot with him and at least make a better attempt at putting the recievers around Allen.

Josh Brown and Beasley are essentially slot recievers/borderline number 2's. 

Love what they did with the offensive line but if Foster comes back down to earth or any substantial injuries to the WR corps and they are right back where they were last year.... Having Allen pass to a boat load of trash.

Brown is not a slot.....is is an outside deep threat guy

All these people here saying "he has a high ceiling". What makes you think that? Because the guy has big muscles? Or is it from being imprinted by the media frenzy around him?

Perhaps claiming a guy has a high ceiling amounts to saying he's either gonna make it or he's not. But thats not what a high ceiling means.

DK is a gym rat, has big muscles & can run really fast, in a straight line. Maybe its his muscles that hurt his agility, isn't that kind of the rub on big guys like that? They don't have the flexibility to make quick lateral moves or twitches? His production at Ole Miss was decent but nothing many other wr's havent had more of. As a specimen, he mustve dominated most others at his level, yet he didnt dominate at Ole Miss, but people expect him to in the NFL? And like many have mentioned, he doesn't run the full route tree.

So once again, why do people still insist he has a high ceiling? I'd really like to know.

Its the muscles isn't it? That picture of him shirtless really made an impact :P

Here is the question.  

Did he really fall?  Or did he get selected where he was always going to be selected and hence never attended the Draft?  

Was the Social Media barrage part of a Agent strategy to make the NFL teams see him for what he and they know that he wasn’t??

the is why I always like people losing their minds over the “falls”. Just like The Butler WR. Is there really a big push for a WR that can catch?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

David Boston....zzzzz

Not a DK guy, but using Boston as the counter-point doesn't really do what you think it does.

Boton's athletic gifts ABSOLUTELY translated to the NFL, as evidenced by his 2001 season where he caught a hundred passes for 1600 yards and 8 TDs - the 22nd best single season for any receiver in NFL history.

His failings, unfortunately, were more of a personal nature than a physical one, and he never got to fully live his potential.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

John brown has that straight ahead speed. That’s all dk has. Dk is like one of those racing semis. They go fast straight ahead but they can turn.  

If you want to be over-simplistic about it, that's all Megatron had too. He wasn't agile at all.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I can’t believe this guys still being talked about this much on here, receiver was not a huge need and definitely not as much as some make it out to be. D.K. might very well turn into a great receiver but they just didn’t want him. Doesn’t make it a bad decision, we’re already breaking in a ton of new players on offense. If they feel we’re a receiver away from a serious run I’m sure Beane will pay the price to get one. The team is setup nicely, to the point they can spend a lot of draft capital and make a huge move if they need to or someone becomes available. This season is not going to make or break on a rookie receiver 

Good post especially the bolded.  The NEED for a #1 receiver seems to me at times to be overhyped.

The Bills have not had a QB and a game plan to give enough attempts to any WR to put him into #1 status.

The 1,000+ yards a season threshold that many use always makes me wonder is this more fantasy football or NFL.

The older conventional wisdom of a #1, #2, #3 ranked receiver on a team is not something carved in stone in todays NFL.

This will be the first real year to see what Daboll's system will be with Josh Allen.

If this years WRs do not "cut it" talent wise then I expect new ones next year.

Improvements to the OL/RB/TE were made this year and I am hoping next year the Bills can find their DeAndre Hopkins.

I don't think DK Metcalf is going to be Hopkins.

4 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Hype or not, as a combine warrior alone, I would have been thrilled with DK in the 3rd round. Far more than a RB. It’s not like D.K. didn’t produce when not injured. 

If his neck is healthy he is going to be a great WR for the Seahawks. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was the best WR in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

#87 in the NFL Rule Book: Stay away from diva WR and you end up with the Bills 2018 WR corps.

Not that I thought they should draft DK high.

1) Right on. 

2) Rule #1.........do what it takes to maximize production from the QB position.   Especially for a YOUNG QB.

I like Cody Ford and he will be a swell guard or maybe even RT and Singletary was my favorite RB in a D grade class.........but job #1 of the organization is to prop up a young QB.

Sounds nice to say the running game is a young QB's best friend.........has a very retro, 90's feel to it..........but wasn't that the point of signing 6 OL and 2 RB's in UFA?

Compare what the Rams did for Goff to what the Bills are doing for Allen.   It's sink or swim for JA by comparison.

We can talk all we want about the value of picks..........it felt great to get Ed Oliver because it filled a need with a talented player........ but here's the reality.........McD has made 4 first round selections and 3 have been defenders.

It's not going to change itself.

Until they become more QB-centric then long term success is going to remain out of reach.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

None are the physical specimen that DK is. 

He is your 50/50 guy. The guy who can go up and get the ball..... he may flame out but I'd much rather they take a shot with him and at least make a better attempt at putting the recievers around Allen.

Josh Brown and Beasley are essentially slot recievers/borderline number 2's. 

Love what they did with the offensive line but if Foster comes back down to earth or any substantial injuries to the WR corps and they are right back where they were last year.... Having Allen pass to a boat load of trash.

Everyone seems to be hung up on the idea of the so called #1 WR. You don’t have to have one player like a Julio Jones to have an effective  pass offense. Look at the Rams. I would not call any of their receivers a #1. They are all very good but none of them compare to Julio, OBJ, or Hopkins. My opinion is that you can have a good passing game with a collection of players that can do some things well but aren’t able to do everything well. A group of receivers that complement each other is easier to create than finding the next Julio Jones. I will settle for a group of complementary receivers until we have the next OBJ, Hopkins, or Julio land on our roster. Those guys don’t come around very often.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I wanted Metcalf, and would have been happy with him in rd2, especially without trading up.

I have always understood he has a high "bust factor", but his ceiling is just so freakin' high. Because of his size/speed, if he could clean up his release and work on catching with his hands he has a chance to be top 3 in the league.

I know it's a long shot, but he seems like the WR version of Allen.

At this point, I understand Beane's route, and am ok with who he drafted. He does know worlds more than I do when it comes to football, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little worried about DK becoming a marquee player that we passed on.

Don't torture yourself with woulda coulda shoulda's as far as draft picks are concerned if we were to get really caught up in THAT kind of drama passing on Khalil Mack for Sammy, passing on Patrick Mahomes u catch my drift you can look at most any draft and do that its basically pointless and depressing lol