Is it time to give up future assets, to stack our deck for a SB run?

LEBills

Just continue to build the way they are doing.  Next year they will have good cap space again and can add a few pieces or a big one or two.  Slow and steady til they know for sure what Josh Allen is.  They on paper shored up the line and he should have much better skill guys to start with.  Lets see if he can get close to 60% completions and up to 230 passing a game

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The whole premise McDermott sold the Pegulas was to build a perennial contender by gutting the team of high-cap underperformers and building the roster with draftees and "lunchpail" high-character hard-working guys.  I don't know if it's the right choice, I don't know if it's the wrong choice, but having gone this far into it I think they should "stay the course" and see how it works.

If we trade Dawkins, who do you see as our starting OL?

I don't think we want to trade a 1st for a 31 year old WR in his 9th season who has missed significant playing time 2 of the last 3 years.

Im going to go ahead and ask....

Why do you think the start of the process is the same as the end of the process? 

And does beane know about this rule given his interest in brown?

13 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

No way this fits under the cap. 

We have 25-30m. We could do pretty much anything we dream of at this point if we really want to

21 hours ago, LEBills said:

It almost feels unthinkable posing this question. And we all hate giving up draft picks. But I had to watch the Eagles win a Super Bowl last year from the confines of South Jersey...

I know it may seem surreal to think about us making that type of jump, but if the Eagles could do it would it be that crazy to think we could pull off something similar?

While you were spending "last year" in your sensory deprivation chamber, the Eagles, under THIRD year and yet again injured QB were going nowhere until the backup (the one who they actually won the NFCC and SB with 2 (two) seasons ago came in (again) and go them to them playoffs...where they lost.  Going into next year, that "crammed with talent" team will struggle to win its division again.

But to answer your question, no.  This team isn't a Clowney, an AJ Green, and a backup TB TE from the SB.

Edited by Mr. WEO

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Im going to go ahead and ask....

Why do you think the start of the process is the same as the end of the process? 

And does beane know about this rule given his interest in brown?

We have 25-30m. We could do pretty much anything we dream of at this point if we really want to

We have 30.5 million in cap space per spotrac. Minimum 4.5 million comes off for rookies. That leaves us with 26. That TE costs 7M, A J Green another 15. That leaves us with 4 M for Clowney+ any we need during the season. Clowney will likely costs 20 million at least. With that we are 16 million over, and we need to keep some money for mid season emergencies. 

7 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

We have 30.5 million in cap space per spotrac. Minimum 4.5 million comes off for rookies. That leaves us with 26. That TE costs 7M, A J Green another 15. That leaves us with 4 M for Clowney+ any we need during the season. Clowney will likely costs 20 million at least. With that we are 16 million over, and we need to keep some money for mid season emergencies. 

With new contracts for any (or all) you could fit them if you wanted

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

With new contracts for any (or all) you could fit them if you wanted

That would be a very cheap new contract for Clowney. I've seen ideas of up to 30 Million a year for him. Reasonably, it would be more like 24 million. Obviously you can make cuts, but Beane likes to have 10 million left for the season. I'm sorry, but it's quite obvious that this won't work.

2 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

That would be a very cheap new contract for Clowney. I've seen ideas of up to 30 Million a year for him. Reasonably, it would be more like 24 million. Obviously you can make cuts, but Beane likes to have 10 million left for the season. I'm sorry, but it's quite obvious that this won't work.

A 20m signing bonus counts 4m against the cap. Just for instance.

Forget those players mentioned.

I'd rather see the Bills trade a late round 2020 pick for Gerald McCoy to the Bucs to stop the run better. Then sign Ziggy Ansah (if he is fully healthy) to help with the pass rush rotation. 

As far as the offense goes I'd rather trade with the Vikes for TE Kyle Rudolph. Otherwise I'd like to see what the five new additions the Bills already have will do for the 2019 Bills WR corps.

23 hours ago, LEBills said:

It almost feels unthinkable posing this question. And we all hate giving up draft picks. But I had to watch the Eagles win a Super Bowl last year from the confines of South Jersey...

They has a second year QB who played out of his mind, bolstered by a team that Howie Roseman crammed with talent by giving away players and draft picks for upgrades at positions of weakness. (You can read some of the highlights here: http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/24219/the-seven-days-that-transformed-eagles-into-super-bowl-contenders)

We are at the same point in a similar rebuild. And so I ask the question, is it an opportunity for us? 

We have a supposedly weak schedule, a budding 2nd year QB that gives us great cap flexibility and not that many holes to fill. Here are some moves I think could help us mirror the Eagles success:

1. Trade for Jadeveon Clowney. Houston’s lack of OLine talent could feed into our favor. Plus it seems Houston doesn’t want to meet the contract Clowney’s side wants. Trade them Dawkins and a 2nd for Clowney and a 6th?

2. Trade a 6th for Cameron Brate. TB has OJ Howard starting and are paying Brate, a backup TE a pretty penny. He would immediately be a very good pass catching TE for us and their is no guaranteed money on his contract after this year. He had a drop off in production last year as he played all 2018 with a hip injury but should be cleared by training camp.

3. Trade our first for AJ Green. The Bengals are entering a rebuild and having a second 1st round pick to maneuver around and get their top QB in 2020 may be too much for them to say no to.

I know it may seem surreal to think about us making that type of jump, but if the Eagles could do it would it be that crazy to think we could pull off something similar?

#1 I'd be OK with trading for Clowney,  Maybe one of the Oline just signed and while I somewhat hate to part with him, would offer Lawson as he'd become a bit more expendable with signing Clowney

#2  Why would you trade even a 6th rounder for a guy who at best would be the number three TE behind Kroft and Dawson.  And personally I think Croom is better than many here think so not certain Brate wouldn't fall to the #4 TE

#3  I'd trade for Green too, but think he could be had for less than #1.  Teams only give up #1's for true superstars and don't think he's at that level.  I know Dallas gave up a #1 for Cooper, but that was a mid-season trade and most felt at the time they overpaid.  I'd offer Zay Jones and a 3rd or something similar.