Is it time to give up future assets, to stack our deck for a SB run?

LEBills

Patience grasshopper.  We have $30 million in cap space, could create much more easily if we wanted, and we have a man with a plan at charge.  It's only April.  There will be many additions to roster.  Rock on Beane

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LEBills said:

It almost feels unthinkable posing this question. And we all hate giving up draft picks. But I had to watch the Eagles win a Super Bowl last year from the confines of South Jersey...

They has a second year QB who played out of his mind, bolstered by a team that Howie Roseman crammed with talent by giving away players and draft picks for upgrades at positions of weakness. (You can read some of the highlights here: http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/24219/the-seven-days-that-transformed-eagles-into-super-bowl-contenders)

We are at the same point in a similar rebuild. And so I ask the question, is it an opportunity for us? 

We have a supposedly weak schedule, a budding 2nd year QB that gives us great cap flexibility and not that many holes to fill. Here are some moves I think could help us mirror the Eagles success:

1. Trade for Jadeveon Clowney. Houston’s lack of OLine talent could feed into our favor. Plus it seems Houston doesn’t want to meet the contract Clowney’s side wants. Trade them Dawkins and a 2nd for Clowney and a 6th?

2. Trade a 6th for Cameron Brate. TB has OJ Howard starting and are paying Brate, a backup TE a pretty penny. He would immediately be a very good pass catching TE for us and their is no guaranteed money on his contract after this year. He had a drop off in production last year as he played all 2018 with a hip injury but should be cleared by training camp.

3. Trade our first for AJ Green. The Bengals are entering a rebuild and having a second 1st round pick to maneuver around and get their top QB in 2020 may be too much for them to say no to.

I know it may seem surreal to think about us making that type of jump, but if the Eagles could do it would it be that crazy to think we could pull off something similar?

I could see upgrading DE. Not sure Clowney is the one to go after. He’s going to command a contract that will be hard to live up to. 

12 hours ago, LEBills said:

It almost feels unthinkable posing this question. And we all hate giving up draft picks. But I had to watch the Eagles win a Super Bowl last year from the confines of South Jersey...

They has a second year QB who played out of his mind, bolstered by a team that Howie Roseman crammed with talent by giving away players and draft picks for upgrades at positions of weakness. (You can read some of the highlights here: http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/24219/the-seven-days-that-transformed-eagles-into-super-bowl-contenders)

We are at the same point in a similar rebuild. And so I ask the question, is it an opportunity for us? 

We have a supposedly weak schedule, a budding 2nd year QB that gives us great cap flexibility and not that many holes to fill. Here are some moves I think could help us mirror the Eagles success:

1. Trade for Jadeveon Clowney. Houston’s lack of OLine talent could feed into our favor. Plus it seems Houston doesn’t want to meet the contract Clowney’s side wants. Trade them Dawkins and a 2nd for Clowney and a 6th?

2. Trade a 6th for Cameron Brate. TB has OJ Howard starting and are paying Brate, a backup TE a pretty penny. He would immediately be a very good pass catching TE for us and their is no guaranteed money on his contract after this year. He had a drop off in production last year as he played all 2018 with a hip injury but should be cleared by training camp.

3. Trade our first for AJ Green. The Bengals are entering a rebuild and having a second 1st round pick to maneuver around and get their top QB in 2020 may be too much for them to say no to.

I know it may seem surreal to think about us making that type of jump, but if the Eagles could do it would it be that crazy to think we could pull off something similar?

Jesus no. Let’s just wait and see what Josh Allen looks like as a starter in second year with a full offseason as starter under his belt. 

I want to see if he progresses first before I advocate start selling off future assets. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

No

I will add to that.  No.

McBeane are not about making a wild dash to win a Super Bowl followed by a decline. They're building to get on top and stay on top.  You can't stay on top mortgaging your future.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is it?  I dunno Barley.  It seems to me that most of the recent cellar-to-stellar turn arounds have featured the new coaches and GM keeping and utilizing the talent from the previous regime with a handful of strategic trades or non-signings, not grabbing a broom and sweeping it all out the door.  I'm hoping you're right, but I can't think of examples.

It used to be more common - but that was before the salary cap and FA, when more homegrown key players could be kept on a team for longer.  That's the real problem - you get your great players and in 4-5 years you got to get out the checkbook and show them the winning or they're gone

Whatever the situation, I agree with @SoCal Deek that it's too soon.  We have promising pieces in place, but there are too many unknowns to tell whether we're only a couple of pieces away - whether the OL will gel and allow a good run game, whether Allen will take that needed step as a passer, whether this round of WR-corps rehab will pan out better than the two previous, and whether the flaws in the D that allow half of our losses to be ugly blowouts have been fixed.

That’s really not what I mean. I’m not advocating for building through free agency, although the Bills just made a lot of fairly expensive moves there already.  Honestly more of those than I would’ve liked.  What I’ve seen - and would advocate for - is making one splash move.  A pick for player trade, big draft trade up next season or big FA signing for a difference maker at a position of need. I do not have a problem waiting until next season to do that.  But if the opportunity presented itself I’d sure be happy to see the Bills jump at it. 

Edited by BarleyNY

Well, first off, AJ Green and Brate aren't available for trade, this isn't Madden.

Second, while I fully support the idea of loading up when you have a rookie QB, we aren't there yet.  We have a mountain of cap space next summer too and a roster full of questions.  We need to see how many answers we have already.  Ultimately it boils down to Allen, if he proves himself it will dramatically increase our bargaining power with FAs.  I'm fine signing guys with the money we have this year, giving away future assets is a terrible idea.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, fansince88 said:

NO!!! Stay the course and make multiple SB runs

"Dad, let's run down this hill and @#$% one of those cows" the young bull said.

The old bull replied "No son, let's walk down and @#$% them all."

16 hours ago, LEBills said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7197776

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

"Dad, let's run down this hill and @#$% one of those cows" the young bull said.

The old bull replied "No son, let's walk down and @#$% them all."

Exactly how old is the young bull? He has an aweful mouth.