Is it time to give up future assets, to stack our deck for a SB run?

LEBills

i don't agree with this post at all.  I honestly feel that we do have the right pieces in place to win.  We obviously brought in a ton of FAs and now some drafted players, so they may not gel right away, but they'll get there.  We're not that desperate for Clowney.  We need stability on our OL so that trade is just absurd.  And we have to stop thinking that our WR corps is awful.  It's not.  Foster has shown us what he can do.  and now with the addition of Beasley, Brown, and Sills, I truly think that we'll be a lot better in the passing game this year.  I believe in what the FO has done so far with this organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lets see how the season goes first.

50 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Yes, but I would give two 1st rounders for AJ Green.  That would be sick.  And I would trade Josh Allen now that we have TJ. 

Trade Allen ??? Jackson will be lucky to become a decent QB ... Please stop.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't think we're ready for a SB run this year, so no, I wouldn't give away a first round pick in 2020 for a pipe dream in 2019.  Also not real excited about a trade for Clowney; I suspect too many are over-rating him.

Yeah - stay put & enjoy the ride

The Eagles won the Super Bowl through years of good drafting  especially on both sides of their line (Lane Johnson, Fletcher Cox, Vinny Curry, Jason Kelce, Zach Ertz, Jaylen Mills), landing key free agents (Jeffrey, Jenkins, Bradham, Ellerby, Blount, Wisniewski), aggressive trading (Darby, Jerrigan, Ajayi), adding a lot of depth on both sides of the line, and hiring the right coaches (Peterson, Reich, Schwartz).  They also had to move up and get their quarterback in Wentz and struck gold by snagging up Foles in free agency.  There was a lot of wheeling and dealing in the draft, through trades, and free agency. 

I think McBeane are building the roster in a similar way.  Prioritizing the o and d-lines through the draft and free agency, not being afraid to trade up to land your guy (Allen and Edmunds), making aggressive trades for picks and salary cap relief (Watkins, Darby, Glenn, Dareus), and creating good depth at both sides of the lines.  I agree somewhat with the OP that the time to be aggressive is now and I would be open to trade for and pay for Clowney only if the Texans panic and we get him for favorable compensation (a 2nd rounder or lower).  Kyle Rudolph is another player I wouldn't mind trading for.

• Like (+1) 5

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Wentz completed 63% of his passes as a rookie and threw for more TD than INTs with an average group of recievers.  I’m pretty sure they knew what they had and went out and got him Alshon Jeffrey etc.  

Wentz recievers, who he completed 63% to were Zack Etta (good) Jordan Mathews (not good) Darren Sproles (very old) Trey Burton and Nelson Agahlor.

Speaking of the Eagles I wonder if they would part with Dallas Goedert for a 2nd and 4th next yr I'm even willing to give them 1 of the guards we signed.  

I could see doing this if Beane et al felt that the Bills were close and just needed a player or two at key spots... as others have said, let's see how the QB develops, how the O line gels and what about the recievers and D line.  Yes there is talent there and I expect progress, but no the Bills are at least a year from even talking about SB, this is not hockey where a hot goalie and a couple key additions can get you to the SC final.  The O and D lines are too critical to success and with the Bills they are still unknowns.  I hope for the playoffs this year... and Brady to break both legs... but we shall see...

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The whole premise McDermott sold the Pegulas was to build a perennial contender by gutting the team of high-cap underperformers and building the roster with draftees and "lunchpail" high-character hard-working guys.  I don't know if it's the right choice, I don't know if it's the wrong choice, but having gone this far into it I think they should "stay the course" and see how it works.

If we trade Dawkins, who do you see as our starting OL?

I don't think we want to trade a 1st for a 31 year old WR in his 9th season who has missed significant playing time 2 of the last 3 years.

Building a team like that is pretty common, but once the foundation is built it would make sense to be aggressive to finish it off.  I have no problem with the Bills doing that when they think they’re ready.  If the right move was out there I’d like them to jump at it. None of the OP’s moves seem like the right one though.  AJ Green is the closest.  I’d actually want them to do this deal if we could negotiate a long term deal (that wasn’t obscene) with him first. I’m not giving up a first round pick for a one year rental though.  The real is is that Cincy isn’t trading him. They’ll make him play out his deal and then maybe franchise him one more year, or trade him then.

This year is still too soon. Even if you look back at the ‘90’s Bills it took a few years before they were ready to make their run at it. Allen didn’t even play the entire season last year. The current regime is on at least a three year building program (not counting the hold over Tyrod year). They’ll hope to be ‘In The Hunt’ this year and then make some noise in 2020.

52 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Building a team like that is pretty common, but once the foundation is built it would make sense to be aggressive to finish it off.

Is it?  I dunno Barley.  It seems to me that most of the recent cellar-to-stellar turn arounds have featured the new coaches and GM keeping and utilizing the talent from the previous regime with a handful of strategic trades or non-signings, not grabbing a broom and sweeping it all out the door.  I'm hoping you're right, but I can't think of examples.

It used to be more common - but that was before the salary cap and FA, when more homegrown key players could be kept on a team for longer.  That's the real problem - you get your great players and in 4-5 years you got to get out the checkbook and show them the winning or they're gone

Whatever the situation, I agree with @SoCal Deek that it's too soon.  We have promising pieces in place, but there are too many unknowns to tell whether we're only a couple of pieces away - whether the OL will gel and allow a good run game, whether Allen will take that needed step as a passer, whether this round of WR-corps rehab will pan out better than the two previous, and whether the flaws in the D that allow half of our losses to be ugly blowouts have been fixed.