Is it time to give up future assets, to stack our deck for a SB run?

LEBills

It almost feels unthinkable posing this question. And we all hate giving up draft picks. But I had to watch the Eagles win a Super Bowl last year from the confines of South Jersey...

They has a second year QB who played out of his mind, bolstered by a team that Howie Roseman crammed with talent by giving away players and draft picks for upgrades at positions of weakness. (You can read some of the highlights here: http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/24219/the-seven-days-that-transformed-eagles-into-super-bowl-contenders)

We are at the same point in a similar rebuild. And so I ask the question, is it an opportunity for us? 

We have a supposedly weak schedule, a budding 2nd year QB that gives us great cap flexibility and not that many holes to fill. Here are some moves I think could help us mirror the Eagles success:

1. Trade for Jadeveon Clowney. Houston’s lack of OLine talent could feed into our favor. Plus it seems Houston doesn’t want to meet the contract Clowney’s side wants. Trade them Dawkins and a 2nd for Clowney and a 6th?

2. Trade a 6th for Cameron Brate. TB has OJ Howard starting and are paying Brate, a backup TE a pretty penny. He would immediately be a very good pass catching TE for us and their is no guaranteed money on his contract after this year. He had a drop off in production last year as he played all 2018 with a hip injury but should be cleared by training camp.

3. Trade our first for AJ Green. The Bengals are entering a rebuild and having a second 1st round pick to maneuver around and get their top QB in 2020 may be too much for them to say no to.

I know it may seem surreal to think about us making that type of jump, but if the Eagles could do it would it be that crazy to think we could pull off something similar?

• Haha (+1) 3

You might be on to something here.  After we trade our #1 for a (nearly) 31 year old receiver who's played 16 games only twice in the last 5 years, then maybe we could send our 2nd round pick to Seattle for Janikowski to shore up our kicking game.

• Like (+1) 3

While the QB is going into his second year, the similarities to that PHL team end there. I’d guess a minimum of one more season before the Bills are at anything near a win now at all costs mode. Find out if the QB is any good first. This season should tell a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

This post has me thinking about the Chicago Bears, Khalil Mack, and their playoff run. 

I think on this forum it will be scoffed at as blasphemy, yet there is a method to the madness.

I don't agree with the players you've chosen.

For the right combination of players though, I think it would at least be considered.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Wentz completed 63% of his passes as a rookie and threw for more TD than INTs with an average group of recievers.  I’m pretty sure they knew what they had and went out and got him Alshon Jeffrey etc.  

Wentz recievers, who he completed 63% to were Zack Etta (good) Jordan Mathews (not good) Darren Sproles (very old) Trey Burton and Nelson Agahlor.

I don't think we're ready for a SB run this year, so no, I wouldn't give away a first round pick in 2020 for a pipe dream in 2019.  Also not real excited about a trade for Clowney; I suspect too many are over-rating him.

47 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Wentz completed 63% of his passes as a rookie and threw for more TD than INTs with an average group of recievers.  I’m pretty sure they knew what they had and went out and got him Alshon Jeffrey etc.  

Wentz recievers, who he completed 63% to were Zack Etta (good) Jordan Mathews (not good) Darren Sproles (very old) Trey Burton and Nelson Agahlor.

Let's not forget Nick Foles in the Eagles success.

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

It almost feels unthinkable posing this question. And we all hate giving up draft picks. But I had to watch the Eagles win a Super Bowl last year from the confines of South Jersey...

They has a second year QB who played out of his mind, bolstered by a team that Howie Roseman crammed with talent by giving away players and draft picks for upgrades at positions of weakness. (You can read some of the highlights here: http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/24219/the-seven-days-that-transformed-eagles-into-super-bowl-contenders)

We are at the same point in a similar rebuild. And so I ask the question, is it an opportunity for us? 

We have a supposedly weak schedule, a budding 2nd year QB that gives us great cap flexibility and not that many holes to fill. Here are some moves I think could help us mirror the Eagles success:

1. Trade for Jadeveon Clowney. Houston’s lack of OLine talent could feed into our favor. Plus it seems Houston doesn’t want to meet the contract Clowney’s side wants. Trade them Dawkins and a 2nd for Clowney and a 6th?

2. Trade a 6th for Cameron Brate. TB has OJ Howard starting and are paying Brate, a backup TE a pretty penny. He would immediately be a very good pass catching TE for us and their is no guaranteed money on his contract after this year. He had a drop off in production last year as he played all 2018 with a hip injury but should be cleared by training camp.

3. Trade our first for AJ Green. The Bengals are entering a rebuild and having a second 1st round pick to maneuver around and get their top QB in 2020 may be too much for them to say no to.

I know it may seem surreal to think about us making that type of jump, but if the Eagles could do it would it be that crazy to think we could pull off something similar?

The whole premise McDermott sold the Pegulas was to build a perennial contender by gutting the team of high-cap underperformers and building the roster with draftees and "lunchpail" high-character hard-working guys.  I don't know if it's the right choice, I don't know if it's the wrong choice, but having gone this far into it I think they should "stay the course" and see how it works.

If we trade Dawkins, who do you see as our starting OL?

I don't think we want to trade a 1st for a 31 year old WR in his 9th season who has missed significant playing time 2 of the last 3 years.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So you want to trade for Clowney and give him a mega deal when he has never had double digit sacks......you know Ansah can be given a good 2 or 3 year deal and he has had multiple double digit sack seasons. 

Trade a first for Green is crazy talk. Green is a fine WR but he is not going to put the Bills over the top and he is on the tail end of his career. Next years draft could have multiple Greens in it and you want to go into that draft with no #1 and no #2. Why would TB take a 6th for Brate? That is essentially saying I will give you a practice squad player.

Super Bowl run this season is pipe dream. Build the team. Draft good players and sign free agents. Josh Allen is the key to it all. His development will be the key the Bills playoff runs

2 hours ago, LEBills said:

Love your optimism bro, but no. We don’t even know if we have a NFL caliber QB yet homie. Let’s give it another year or two.