2 year clock?

I will spare a long list of reasons. Just using what I feel the pace is set at. It’s almost impossible to see any leadership changes happen after 2019. That said, if we meddle for two years I see the fans out for blood and the leadership doesn’t survive after 2020. Curious if people think they get more time?

Edited by KzooMike

2 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I will spare a long list of reasons. Just using what I feel the pace is set at. It’s almost impossible to see any leadership changes happen after 2019. That said, if we meddle for two years I see the fans out for blood and the leadership doesn’t survive after 2020. Curious if people think they get more time?

What?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, TH3 said:

What?

I think he's referring to the coaching staff? In which case I agree, if you don't see a big jump in year three you need to begin evaluating what's going wrong. Is it personnel or coaching? If we have a similar record this year it's because Josh Allen isn't becoming what we think he's going to be, and then you start looking at the coaching first and foremost.

• Thank you (+1) 1

At this point neither coach nor gym need worry about their jobs. Both came in and said it’d be 2 years before they’re able to start building “their roster” 

Beane has gotten the cap and bad contracts under control. 2019 & 2020 are both ready to compete years 2021 and beyond are ready to contend for championship years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nickrage said:

At this point neither coach nor gym need worry about their jobs. Both came in and said it’d be 2 years before they’re able to start building “their roster” 

Beane has gotten the cap and bad contracts under control. 2019 & 2020 are both ready to compete years 2021 and beyond are ready to contend for championship years. 

So you would say they survive 2020 (two more seasons) if the Bills miss the playoffs both years?

7 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I'm so sick of this BS.  Go post somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

On a weekend bender?

this is the best trajectory the Bills have been on in years and years. Who cares if the fans like blood.

What has the fans feelings of trajectory done in the past? Hence why I was intrigued by the subject. 

2 minutes ago, Original Byrd Man said:

I'm so sick of this BS.  Go post somewhere else.

I have posted once in 5 months. Sorry to water it down.

Edited by KzooMike

Truthfully, honest evaluations of past years doesn’t show much except for the Super Bowl years. As a fan since 1963, we really never had a front office give us much of anything to look forward to. It can be argued that was the way it was designed by Ralph. Either way, the Super Bowl teams were the exception to the rule until Beane. Time will tell, but the correct steps are clearly being taken. I fully expect it to show on-field.

Edited by clayboy54
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Truthfully, honest evaluations of past years doesn’t show much except for the Super Bowl years. As a fan since 1963, we really never has a front office give us much of anything to look forward to. It can be argued that was the way it was designed by Ralph. Either way, the Super Bowl teams were the exception to the rule until Beane. Time will tell, but the correct steps are clearly being taken. I fully expect it to show on-field.

Don’t confuse my post for a lack of faith in the front office and coaching staff. My subject was actually derived from the exact opposite. The opposite view tends to intrigue me especially if the topic has validity. We have murdered coaches and GM’s for 20 years after the appearance of things moving in the right direction. Clearly if we have success as many anticipate the subject is not relevant. That said what if we don’t? Our recent, two decade history shows a pretty consistent pattern of high expectations being met with compete overhauls in short order. These guys seem to be the best so far, so does that buy them past 2020 with no playoffs? The answer would be no if recent history is any indicator. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Year 1 one was playoffs, even when they started to clean house and stock pile picks. 

Year 2 was all about drafting Allen and Edmunds.  They gutted the team to clear salary and restart.   Thankfully, and despite fielding a very low talent and very young team, Coach McD pulled a decent season out of the second half.  

Year 3 Buffalo is making moves in free agency and the draft and they still will have plenty of cap space to work with. I see the fans 100% behind Beane and McDermott.  I see us winning 8 min, and  more likely 10 games which includes playoffs.  The fans willl be happy with this progression from last year. 

Year 4 we go to solid playoff team status. 

Beane and McD are on solid ground.  The Bills are on an upswing.  No one Is talking about any leadership changes.  That would be bad.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We have't had a strategic approach like this since Polian was building the Super Bowl teams. Everything since then has been a reaction/gut feeling and over meddling owner. Every move here is calculated. Your question about what if and firing if we don't do x is exactly the mindset that led us to the playoff drought. Sit back and relax and watch this team form into a legitimate contender.

34 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I'll bite (although the timing of this feels a bit wonky -- and just after posting this read your later post and believe you meant it in a positive way and it's an interesting mind experiment, but still you zigged a bit from where i would expect posts to be :)). 

I agree that they've probably already bought themselves a fourth year as GM/coach just due to the fact that they have laid out a distinct plan, and a noticeable culture change. If they have a losing record in 2019 & 2020 and it's not due to everything going wrong in ways no one could predict, then, yes, that's probably it for at least one of them. 

However, while I tend to be overly optimistic, this may be the most confident yet that I've felt about this team. It truly feels like there is a unique plan in effect and it has led to a pre-season where instead of trying to find 53 players to cobble together a roster, they are going to have to spend a lot of time whittling down and making painful cuts to get down to 53. They also seem to have made it a destination -- both Oliver and Ford seemed delighted to be coming here and it's telling that we drew some of the top names in UDFA (but also signed fewer than usual b/c there just wasn't room -- and we still have tons of cap space). So, hopefully, the arrow is indeed up, and we will see a coach and GM make it into (and through) that fifth year for the first time since the (Coach) Levy days.

Edited by thurst44
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s a reasonable assumption. Not sure who is going to “ meddle” on the Bills, but if the on field performance is middling, I’d imagine changes would be considered. If they go 9-7 consecutive years or say 8-8 then 10-6 but miss the playoffs , ownership may still feel the team is on the right path. Thus far, we have one playoff berth with an average QB, then a rookie QB and a predictable step back. A bad cap situation led to a weak roster , especially on offense. I’d expect some improvement this year, but the team is taking shape in the vision of Beane and McD. I think they will definitely get through the 2020 season before the possibility of major change  would arise. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The supreme leaders are the Pegulas. This won't change for quite a while.

And the Pegulas probably see the huge difference between the Rex years and the current staff. They also hear the great things being said around the league about Beane and McD.

These guys will be in Buffalo for a while too.

• Thank you (+1) 1