The impending question mark/void on our team NEXT offseason

On 4/28/2019 at 3:31 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

DE/"Edge Rusher"

Jerry Hughes is still an absolute wrecking ball, but his contract is up this off-season, he turns 31 in August, and there might be some question marks over whether he's really a "McDermott guy" character wise considering how prone he is to getting flagged for 15 yards. The Bills only have 5 guys remaining on the team from before McDermott arrived and Hughes will still be considered in the prime of his career as the season ends, even if it's the back end of his prime. Should Beane and McDermott give Hughes the big contract this offseason? I think they should. Will they? 

Lorenzo Alexander isn't a DE, but I think he qualifies as "Edge Rusher." McDermott clearly loves the guy, so I could easily see another one year contract next season if he's still producing on the field, but that's definitely a question mark because of his age.

Shaq Lawson hasn't been a bust, but he's really been a disappointment for where he was drafted and expectations coming in. Last year wad his best year so far, but with just a month left to decide on whether we pick up his 5th year option, Beane said he hasn't decided:

I don't think they pick it up.

That's 3 more guys from before McDermott arrived potentially gone and all 3 playing similar positions.

So... do we keep one, two or all of these guys or do we go into NEXT year's draft with the glaring DE/Edge Rusher need?

All i know is I want Hughes extended immediately. I'd give him a 2 year extension this year, restructure contract, plenty of edge rushers play in their prime til their mid 30s. Hughes has less NFL tread as he rarely played in his first 3 yrs. He was the leading edge rusher in the NFL in amount of pressure on QBS, ridiculous motor and just caused mayhem in the backfield on a consistent basis. If Oliver is close to the player we think he is, and gets a lot of pressure up the middle, that is going to do wonders for Hughes sack and FF numbers.

We will have a ridiculous amount of cap space entering next year too

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

All i know is I want Hughes extended immediately. I'd give him a 2 year extension this year, restructure contract, plenty of edge rushers play in their prime til their mid 30s. Hughes has less NFL tread as he rarely played in his first 3 yrs. He was the leading edge rusher in the NFL in amount of pressure on QBS, ridiculous motor and just caused mayhem in the backfield on a consistent basis. If Oliver is close to the player we think he is, and gets a lot of pressure up the middle, that is going to do wonders for Hughes sack and FF numbers.

We will have a ridiculous amount of cap space entering next year too

Completely agree, especially now that we've officially declined Shaq Lawson's 5th year option, not that this is much of a surprise.

• Like (+1) 2