The impending question mark/void on our team NEXT offseason

DE/"Edge Rusher"

Jerry Hughes is still an absolute wrecking ball, but his contract is up this off-season, he turns 31 in August, and there might be some question marks over whether he's really a "McDermott guy" character wise considering how prone he is to getting flagged for 15 yards. The Bills only have 5 guys remaining on the team from before McDermott arrived and Hughes will still be considered in the prime of his career as the season ends, even if it's the back end of his prime. Should Beane and McDermott give Hughes the big contract this offseason? I think they should. Will they? 

Lorenzo Alexander isn't a DE, but I think he qualifies as "Edge Rusher." McDermott clearly loves the guy, so I could easily see another one year contract next season if he's still producing on the field, but that's definitely a question mark because of his age.

Shaq Lawson hasn't been a bust, but he's really been a disappointment for where he was drafted and expectations coming in. Last year wad his best year so far, but with just a month left to decide on whether we pick up his 5th year option, Beane said he hasn't decided:

I don't think they pick it up.

That's 3 more guys from before McDermott arrived potentially gone and all 3 playing similar positions.

So... do we keep one, two or all of these guys or do we go into NEXT year's draft with the glaring DE/Edge Rusher need?

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's a good question, fact is elite pass rushers do not reach FA very often. We also only have 2 players now under contract for the DL in 2020 - regardless it is a big need.

This is a topic I definitely want to and plan on pondering, but I'm looking at our roster right now and looking at who sticks on OL/WR. D is pretty set with the exception of CB2

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

Define “big contract” for Hughes 

thats where it it all starts, right? I assume we’d all keep him for peanuts, but where does each of us reach our max. I’m not sure but think that’s the much more productive way to have the discussion 

• Like (+1) 2

Someone explain the downside of picking up Lawson's option?  Since the shoulder injury he has not had any career threatening injuries. They will have a ton of cap space either way.  He is solidly above average against the run. Lined up next to Oliver he might be a bit better in rushing the passer this year.  He rarely is beaten to the outside. He hustles and doesn't seem to take plays off like Star.  Has not been a liability in terms of penalties that I recall.  Honestly other than being chosen by Whaley what has he done or not done that Beane would not pick up the option?

As to the OP premise, I agree edge is the biggest need. It was the biggest need this year, that is why I wanted Allen.  An inside pass rush from Oliver would be great.  I hope he pans out. But if he most compares to Aaron Donald, well he disappeared in the playoffs and was completely neutralized by the Patriots.  That said, with today's NFL offenses, I'm not sure there are a lot of pass plays that even allow the time for an edge rusher to get home.  And pushing the pocket up the middle does force the QB to move and that byes the DE or OLB a bit more time.  

I would pick up the Lawson option, and target OLB in FA or draft next year.  In today's defense the 4-3 Strong side OLB is really a hybrid guy.  He needs to play up in the base defense and move to DE in the nickel or dime packages.  He needs to be stout enough in the run especially against teams that have quality TE's than can run the ball effectively out of a 3 or 4 WR set.  Hard to find, but they are out there.  Allen or Sweat woudl have been great fits.  

But I'm down with the Oliver pick now.  Hope his "first step" is better than Maybin's famed first step.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm keeping an eye on Clowney. Even if we don't trade for him this year he is a free agent next year. I was surprised we didn't go after an edge rusher early in this year's draft, and I wonder if we already have a plan in place. Maybe they feel good about Ansah.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

DE/"Edge Rusher"

Jerry Hughes is still an absolute wrecking ball, but his contract is up this off-season, he turns 31 in August, and there might be some question marks over whether he's really a "McDermott guy" character wise considering how prone he is to getting flagged for 15 yards. The Bills only have 5 guys remaining on the team from before McDermott arrived and Hughes will still be considered in the prime of his career as the season ends, even if it's the back end of his prime. Should Beane and McDermott give Hughes the big contract this offseason? I think they should. Will they? 

Lorenzo Alexander isn't a DE, but I think he qualifies as "Edge Rusher." McDermott clearly loves the guy, so I could easily see another one year contract next season if he's still producing on the field, but that's definitely a question mark because of his age.

Shaq Lawson hasn't been a bust, but he's really been a disappointment for where he was drafted and expectations coming in. Last year wad his best year so far, but with just a month left to decide on whether we pick up his 5th year option, Beane said he hasn't decided:

That's 3 more guys from before McDermott arrived potentially gone and all 3 playing similar positions.

So... do we keep one, two or all of these guys or do we go into NEXT year's draft with the glaring DE/Edge Rusher need?

Give this a rest, please....he was our best defensive player last year

• Like (+1) 1

Unless Hughes regresses this year, I'd like to keep him. Add an even better DE on the other side and add a gamebreaker at both WR and RB. I'll have to see how much better Levi Wallace can get in year 2 before committing to a new CB. We pretty much know that EJ Gaines is an average CB and excellent depth.

39 minutes ago, nucci said:

Give this a rest, please....he was our best defensive player last year

Give what a rest?

I said Hughes was an absolute beast and should be resigned, I just don’t know if McBeane will.

No need to get triggered so quickly about something that’s been a valid criticism of Hughes from day 1 in Buffalo.

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

They will likely sign Hughes before the season. 

I hope this is what happens.

Hughes is still in his early thirties and he seems to be a locker room guy that we should be able to re-sign. Ziggy could be added on a long contract or we could go hard at someone in UFA next year as still have plenty of cap room. Bigger need might be starting RB but might be able use a 1st Rounder on that.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Define “big contract” for Hughes 

thats where it it all starts, right? I assume we’d all keep him for peanuts, but where does each of us reach our max. I’m not sure but think that’s the much more productive way to have the discussion 

He's on the wrong side of 30, which is why I'd love to trade for Clowney. That would give us the flexibility to pass on Hughes if the price tag is too high. As far as I'm concerned, even Hughes is not enough. I think they need to sign Ansah or make a move.

This indeed remains an area of concern going into next season. Oliver was a great pick and I believe he will bring heat from the interior. I'm not convinced there will be enough pressure coming from the edge. A stout defense is nice, but a defense wreaking havoc on the QB is the best way to create turnovers and turn 2nd and 6 into 3rd and 16. 

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

DE/"Edge Rusher"

Assuming Hughes has a good to decent season, can't see him then agreeing to a one year deal, why would he if other teams will sign him for two or three years?  He's not that old that with another good season behind him some team will give him a better than one year deal.

So what would be the impact of signing the 5th year option for Lawson, and then turn around next Feb and cut him.  Thought I read a couple months back that was an option?  Is there a cap hit to do that?  And how much of a hit?

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

They should extend Hughes before this season.  Two more years with a good portion of gauranteed money involved.  I believe he gets nine million a year now, shouldn't be much more than that.  But he is still very effective.

Hughes frustrates the heck out of me , as im sure he does everybody..with the personal foul stuff ,   but love the attitude and more important his play.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

DE/"Edge Rusher"

Jerry Hughes will be extended by mid-season.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 2