What are some post-draft moves that you hope Buffalo explores?

SCBills

I think Bodine may have some value. I'd wait and see how he and Long look in camp. If Long can backup center then you can try and move Bodine. 

Backup MLB seems like spot of most need at this point.

Never liked the Murphy signing but they didn't do much to address edge pass rush so I think he gets another year to earn a paycheck and get hurt.

Ziggy probably has seen his chance come and go.

I think I'm ok with the WR group. It was the last of the five needs going into the draft.(TE, OT, DT, DE,WR).  

If they are to make any move it would have to be for a pass rushing OLB

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No on WR and TE.  We are set with great competition at both spots for now.  Agholar may not even be 4th in the depth chart here.  

Clowney or Ansah I can see, and I think Ansah is much more plausible.  

Outside of that, I think we are mostly going to be done until camp and other cuts start happening.  We are setup with deep competition at just about every area of this team.  Starters are only locked at Safety, LB, KR, and QB.  

DE - Shaq, Murphy and the rookie will compete to play opposite Hughes.

DT - Ed, Jordan and Harry will compete to start next to Star, with Ed being a big favorite to start week 1.  But all will likely rotate in.  

LB - this is set, competition will be for backup spots.

CB - A fun area to watch as there will be a legit battle to start opposite Tre and at nickel.  Levi, Taron, Gaines, Johnson all have legit shots here.

S - All set, battle will be for backups.  

Offense:

QB - Set, no real battles here other than Tyree trying to hang on as a 3rd or PS QB.

RB - McCoy is the starter, but what will be the pecking order?  Does Gore make this final roster?  Does Singletary play his way into the rotation?  How will they use Yeldon?  So still some intrigue and competition here.

WR - Might be the most exciting and funnest competition of them all, it’s truly wide open.  Cole is the only locked in guy as the primary slot WR.  Foster and Brown are penciled in starters, but will they be week 1?  Can Zay make a claim to a big spot on the depth chart or will he fall back with stiff competition?  Duke and Sills are wildcards who not only could challenge for roster spots,  but relevant playing time.  Still have McKenzie and Roberts there too.  

TE - Kroft is penciled in as the starter, but I expect Knox is going to be strong competition to Croom as the #2 and wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Knox play a lot in the passing game this year.   Croom and the other rookie will also be an interesting battle to watch.

OL - The other very exciting battle!  So many options here...who is LT, Ty or Dion?  Does Cody win the RT job or slide to guard?  How those battles play out will greatly impact both guard spots competition too.  Morse is the only locked in guy out of the 5 spots.

I think this board is really underestimating Zay.  His bad first year left a bad taste in people’s mouth but he made serious strides last year especially towards the end of the season as he and Josh developed some chemistry.  They did not have the luxury of working together a lot offseason last year unlike Foster.   I think Zay will make the typical year 3 receiver leap and break a 1000 yards.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

I think this board is really underestimating Zay.  His bad first year left a bad taste in people’s mouth but he made serious strides last year especially towards the end of the season as he and Josh developed some chemistry.  They did not have the luxury of working together a lot offseason last year unlike Foster.   I think Zay will make the typical year 3 receiver leap and break a 1000 yards.

Two things.  

1.  There is no such thing as a 3 year leap.  Odds are higher a WR breaks out in year 1 than year 3.  Odds are higher a WR breaks out in year 2 than year 3.  And the odds a WR breaks out sometime in first 2 years overall are more than double that of year 3.  This year 3 myth originated in fantasy football and it’s been disproved many times.  

2.  His “improvements” is grossly over exaggerated and almost all his relevant production came in the two Miami games.  His catch rate was still bad.  Weeks 14, 15, and 16 were all utterly terrible.  People like to look at stat totals and it leads them to false conclusions.  

He can can certainly improve this year despite what I just said, but his “big improvement” last year is quite exaggerated.  He was pretty much irrelevant in most games, even dominated by opposing corners in several.  Not to mention, an UDFA out played him.

• Like (+1) 1

Trade Zay Jones and maybe Shaq Lawson. Get what you can in 2020 picks. I like Shaq but not sure the will take that fifth year option and I think there are teams out there who might. Not a fan of Zay ano I think he some value and could use a change of scenery...Chargers. 

See if anyone desperate for line help would throw us a 2020 7th for Vlad Ducasse and a 2020 6th for Russell Bodine. Both are on cheap deals and might be upgrades in other places. I'd be a bit hesitant to move Bodine, but if someone's offers some value you have to take it. 

Sign Shane Ray as a reclamation project who has some nice pass rush abilty and needs a second chance and a chance to just play defensive end. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

3 more observations:  1. Many people are writing Zay Jones off way too easily. 2. Cody Ford is our starting RT for the forseable future. 3. We're still a year away from being a heavy weight contender and even that's questionable until Allen can learn how to aim a football. PFF ranked him like 32nd in ball placement and noted that even many of his short throws were well off the mark. That's probably the single biggest reason why we suffered so many dropped passes last year. I'm tired of hearing "good enough" on this board. I want the Bills to win a SB while I'm still around to see it and "good enough" usually means 2nd best in my experience.

PFF will never be complimentary of Allen.  Multiple weeks he was their highest rated QB last year.  It was if, and buts away.  They went so hard that the analytics said he would not be good they look for anything to be proved right.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No on WR and TE.  We are set with great competition at both spots for now.  Agholar may not even be 4th in the depth chart here.  

I highly disagree. While he's better suited as a #2 WR, he would be our #1 WR. He's more talented than all of our WRs.

4.4 speed. Great hands. Great route runner. Good separation. Good YAC.

1,500+ yards and 12 TDs the last two seasons. Played all 16 games both seasons. Still only 25 years old.

I would definitely like the Bills to look into him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

I highly disagree. While he's better suited as a #2 WR, he would be our #1 WR. He's more talented than all of our WRs.

1,500+ yards and 12 TDs the last two seasons. Played all 16 games both seasons. Still only 25 years old.

Yet an Eagles team that needs a WR for their young QB like that is willing to move him after losing both Tate and Mathews in free agency. 

I think he is decent WR, and agree a number 2 type guy.  Not convinced he beats out Foster, Brown, Zay, Duke, and Sills to be a starter here.  Duke and Sills are obviously long shots, so not saying he can’t beat them out, just quoting the 5 guys he would be in competition with overall.  

Clearly his main competitors would be Brown and Foster, but honestly Foster has a leg up already having been here a year before and Brown was signed to be a regular weapon for Joshs big arm.

Just don’t see Beane trading for him with so much healthy competition in our WR room already.  I won’t hate getting him by any means, but I think it’s unrealistic.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think Bodine may have some value. I'd wait and see how he and Long look in camp. If Long can backup center then you can try and move Bodine. 

Backup MLB seems like spot of most need at this point.

Never liked the Murphy signing but they didn't do much to address edge pass rush so I think he gets another year to earn a paycheck and get hurt.

Ziggy probably has seen his chance come and go.

I think I'm ok with the WR group. It was the last of the five needs going into the draft.(TE, OT, DT, DE,WR).  

If they are to make any move it would have to be for a pass rushing OLB

If we can trade Marshall Newhouse...

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Is he available?

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Two things.  

1.  There is no such thing as a 3 year leap.  Odds are higher a WR breaks out in year 1 than year 3.  Odds are higher a WR breaks out in year 2 than year 3.  And the odds a WR breaks out sometime in first 2 years overall are more than double that of year 3.  This year 3 myth originated in fantasy football and it’s been disproved many times.  

2.  His “improvements” is grossly over exaggerated and almost all his relevant production came in the two Miami games.  His catch rate was still bad.  Weeks 14, 15, and 16 were all utterly terrible.  People like to look at stat totals and it leads them to false conclusions.  

He can can certainly improve this year despite what I just said, but his “big improvement” last year is quite exaggerated.  He was pretty much irrelevant in most games, even dominated by opposing corners in several.  Not to mention, an UDFA out played him.

A player will develop as they develop.  There isn't a designated time of development a player should have.  For some players it takes longer.  Moulds was year 3, Welker was year 3, Edelman was year 5 and the list goes on and on.  Sometimes all it takes is for fans to show a little patience and let the coaching staff work with the young fella.  But ya know, the whole instant gratification thing has hit everyone really hard so...here we are.  

6 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

A player will develop as they develop.  There isn't a designated time of development a player should have.  For some players it takes longer.  Moulds was year 3, Welker was year 3, Edelman was year 5 and the list goes on and on.  Sometimes all it takes is for fans to show a little patience and let the coaching staff work with the young fella.  But ya know, the whole instant gratification thing has hit everyone really hard so...here we are.  

I didn’t say any of that.  I said there is no such thing as the myth of WRs breakout in year 3.  It’s statistically lower than years 1 or 2 but people keep stating this false fact that WRs most often break out in year 3 and it’s statistically been proven false multiple times.  

They can breakout any year, but it keeps decreasing each year, not “increasing” the likelihood in year 3 like some claim.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just to add on Shane Ray, he is similar to Jerry Hughes. Similiar in size and story. He's a 4-3 defensive end who got forced into a 3-4 OLB conversion becuase of his lack of size and never really developed. The dude is 25 years old and I think there is still upside if he's allowed to just be a defensive end. He was known for his blazing fast quick step and I feel like he is a guy who has something to prove. That's the move I would make on the defensive line. 

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

Not sure why everyone is so down on Shaq. 

He has improved every year. 

I expect him to make a big leap in 2019. 

I like Shaq. I just don't see them picking up the fifth year option which is a great indication that they don't really want him long term. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2