What does our defensive line base look like?

Virgil

53 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I get it and I have.  Again, it’s not against Oliver.  It’s how we use defensive lineman.  Will McD adjust his rotations and let the kid stay out there?  If so, then I’m great with it. 

If the rotation continues like it has, that’s where I’m concerned.  

Am I taking crazy pills for thinking that way?

I think that you are right on. Just the fact that Beane explored the possibility of Frank Clark, Ziggy Ansah and perhaps Clowney, tells me that the Bills want to address the Dline and edge further. I would like to see another player that has a similiar skill set of Olivers. Someone to compliment Hughes as well. The current group is simply not good enough. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I hope that’s not true. Because that’s a big pick for someone who’s going to rotate and share with 3 guys for 2 spots 

DTs are always rotational and we got one that can make a big impact in that rotation immediately. 

you are also overrating Harrison Phillips 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I get it and I have.  Again, it’s not against Oliver.  It’s how we use defensive lineman.  Will McD adjust his rotations and let the kid stay out there?  If so, then I’m great with it. 

On some level I’ve got to ask if you are really concerned about the shift in about 5 or so snaps a game between 2-3 guys?

1 hour ago, Juice_32 said:

I don’t think so, simply because of the snap counts from last season at DT. They were on a pretty even rotation.

Oliver is essentially replacing Kyle. All 4 of them will be getting a ton of snaps, no less than last season.

We all love Kyle, but let's be honest, Oliver at nine is vastly different than Kyle Williams at the end of his career.

I think Oliver should be in every sub package as long as he’s not winded.  He’s amazing in short yardage situations and that actually might be his best sub package

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

With McD primarily running a nickel defense, what does our starting defensive line look like (also taking rotation into effect). 

Granted, I know we run different packages, short yardage, etc, but I’m still curious how we are going to use all of these guys in a way that justifies what we gave up for them. 

Oliver - #9 overall 

Star - Big Contract 

Harrison Phillips - 3rd rounder just last year 

Jordan Phillips - Just re-signed 4.5 mil

I’m assuming 

Base D - Star (2 man clog) Oliver (Rush)

Short Yardage - Star/Jordan

Pass Rush - Oliver/Harrison 

There’s also a wide 9 they sometimes run which might have Harrison - Star - Oliver.  

In any case, it seems like Harrison just got the short end of the stick to me.

Does Oliver line up at DE on some plays with Lorax beside him?  Lorax - Oliver - Harrison - Star - Hughes

Am I interpreting this the right way?

Oliver can line up anywhere.  He’s that good. Keeping him fresh will allow him to be more impactful.  He’s in the perfect situation. 

Oliver is a smidge undersized. Buts he’s crazy quick for the position. Less is more with him. His snaps will be quality snaps. He will be defining the game from the inside. Kyle was slightly above average the last couple of years. He made pro bowls the last two years more out of respect for the man than his actual body of work. Go back and watch him even 3 or 4 years ago and you see a big difference. I didn’t reply to piss on Kyle. I replied to say that I think Oliver is going to make this defense a lot better, especially Star @ Jerry. And he doesn’t have to be in there every play. My guess would be 60-65%.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

you are also overrating Harrison Phillips 

I think many Bills fans have been guilty of over estimating the role and potential impact of Phillips, which is perhaps the cause of so many being down on him now.  He is not an elite penetrator and was not drafted to be one.  In fact the Bills did not draft him as a 3-tech, although they have used him there at times.  I think he will be a very productive player for the Bills but he is certainly not in Oliver's class, or Kyle's for that matter.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

On some level I’ve got to ask if you are really concerned about the shift in about 5 or so snaps a game between 2-3 guys?

I guess it’s about investment to me.  We paid a bunch for Star. A 3rd round pick isn’t a throw away.  Jordan hasn’t been a lot, thankfully. And now a 9th overall. 

From that perspective, I really would hope to see this line dominate and free up our DE’s and LBs

32 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

We all love Kyle, but let's be honest, Oliver at nine is vastly different than Kyle Williams at the end of his career.

Kyle was a 6th time pro bowl selection? Sure he had lost a few steps, and I hope Oliver is better than him, a real gem, a 95% Darnold! But so far, he is an unproven rookie, while Kyle delivered for years and years. People are so in love with draft picks. Milano is a 5th rounder that turned out pretty damn good. Many undrafted guys have been impact players. And... many 1st rounders have been "busts", and not as in Canton HoF busts.... What matters is NFL play, not potential or draft rank.

55 minutes ago, Virgil said:

With McD primarily running a nickel defense, what does our starting defensive line look like (also taking rotation into effect). 

Granted, I know we run different packages, short yardage, etc, but I’m still curious how we are going to use all of these guys in a way that justifies what we gave up for them. 

Oliver - #9 overall 

Star - Big Contract 

Harrison Phillips - 3rd rounder just last year 

Jordan Phillips - Just re-signed 4.5 mil

I’m assuming 

Base D - Star (2 man clog) Oliver (Rush)

Short Yardage - Star/Jordan

Pass Rush - Oliver/Harrison 

There’s also a wide 9 they sometimes run which might have Harrison - Star - Oliver.  

In any case, it seems like Harrison just got the short end of the stick to me.

Does Oliver line up at DE on some plays with Lorax beside him?  Lorax - Oliver - Harrison - Star - Hughes

Am I interpreting this the right way?

Base will probably be Hughes- Star-Oliver- Murphy 

Run stop Oliver- Harrison- Star- Shaq

Pass Rush- Hughes- Shaq- Oliver- Alexander

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm thinking there will be an adjustment. Kyle was 35 yrs. old. We now have a young stud(hopefully), who should be able to handle more snaps. Now if Harrison is playing well enough to keep the rotation the same as laat year, that's a good problem to have.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I guess it’s about investment to me.  We paid a bunch for Star. A 3rd round pick isn’t a throw away.  Jordan hasn’t been a lot, thankfully. And now a 9th overall. 

From that perspective, I really would hope to see this line dominate and free up our DE’s and LBs

Quality snaps over quantity.  Yes they have invested a lot up front but if they rotate and get quality snaps and quality push, why complain? You know what drives me nuts, watching a player be overused up front and they just lean on the offensive lineman essentially taking the play off.  What good is that to the defense?  

Doesn't matter if Ed gets 60% of snaps or 90% as long as he is getting quality snaps along with the rest of them.  That's the point in the rotation right?  So if he can handle 90% of the snaps and they are all quality snaps, then so be it but if he can't...let him rest and bring in another quality guy ready to make a push.  

What happens WHEN injuries hit that group?  I'd rather have quality backups than some no name that gets pushed around like we always have year after year.  Relax and enjoy the depth my friend.  Don't overthink it

47 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Can’t care too much about what guys are getting paid ( maybe at contract time) or what was given up. This FO is building something in their vision. As long as the overall cap situation is good, the compensation part doesn’t matter much. McDs scheme is a rotation , and that won’t change. They knew KE retiring left a huge hole and they got the perfect player to fill it. That was never going to be Phillips 

3 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I don’t think so, simply because of the snap counts from last season at DT. They were on a pretty even rotation.

Oliver is essentially replacing Kyle. All 4 of them will be getting a ton of snaps, no less than last season.

Also remember that College Players usually don't last a full 16-game season.  Their body is used to a 12+1 season in college and it takes them a year to adjust to a full 16 games + playoffs.   Oliver will be brought on slowly and he is very likely to hit the rookie wall!

• Like (+1) 1

Chances are, as someone else pointed out, Oliver will naturally play more snaps than Kyle did, due to being a dozen or so years younger.

Anyone who thinks that top 10 picks in todays NFL see every snap on their side of the ball, is not paying attention.

I'm sure Oliver is going to have a serious impact for the Bills D, but that impact might be lessened, if he isn't used to the best advantage, which will mean some rotation to keep him fresh.

Explosiveness has a physical cost, and for all these guys are professional athletes, it's nigh on impossible to keep up throughout a game.