What does our defensive line base look like?

Virgil

With McD primarily running a nickel defense, what does our starting defensive line look like (also taking rotation into effect). 

Granted, I know we run different packages, short yardage, etc, but I’m still curious how we are going to use all of these guys in a way that justifies what we gave up for them. 

Oliver - #9 overall 

Star - Big Contract 

Harrison Phillips - 3rd rounder just last year 

Jordan Phillips - Just re-signed 4.5 mil

I’m assuming 

Base D - Star (2 man clog) Oliver (Rush)

Short Yardage - Star/Jordan

Pass Rush - Oliver/Harrison 

There’s also a wide 9 they sometimes run which might have Harrison - Star - Oliver.  

In any case, it seems like Harrison just got the short end of the stick to me.

Does Oliver line up at DE on some plays with Lorax beside him?  Lorax - Oliver - Harrison - Star - Hughes

Am I interpreting this the right way?

Edited by Virgil

I don’t think so, simply because of the snap counts from last season at DT. They were on a pretty even rotation.

Oliver is essentially replacing Kyle. All 4 of them will be getting a ton of snaps, no less than last season.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Juice_32 said:

I don’t think so, simply because of the snap counts from last season at DT. They were on a pretty even rotation.

Oliver is essentially replacing Kyle. All 4 of them will be getting a ton of snaps, no less than last season.

I hope that’s not true. Because that’s a big pick for someone who’s going to rotate and share with 3 guys for 2 spots 

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I hope that’s not true. Because that’s a big pick for someone who’s going to rotate and share with 3 guys for 2 spots 

Yeah I’d be willing to bet that heavy rotation goes out the window now. 

Edited by CaptnCoke11

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If the concern is the number of snaps Oliver is going to get I wouldn’t worry about it. He will be out there a lot and used to his strengths. Oliver is going to be a superstar because of that athleticism whether he’s plays 50% of the snaps, 60% or 100%. His impact won’t just be felt by his numbers either. You’ll see an uptick in production from the edge guys and in turnovers because he will be living in the backfield.

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If the concern is the number of snaps Oliver is going to get I wouldn’t worry about it. He will be out there a lot and used to his strengths. Oliver is going to be a superstar because of that athleticism whether he’s plays 50% of the snaps, 60% or 100%. His impact won’t just be felt by his numbers either. You’ll see an uptick in production from the edge guys and in turnovers because he will be living in the backfield.

YOu do know he wont care people have been saying this since the moment he was drafted and Virgil cannot understand... Well refuses to b.c they didnt get the guy HE wanted.

10 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

YOu do know he wont care people have been saying this since the moment he was drafted and Virgil cannot understand... Well refuses to b.c they didnt get the guy HE wanted.

I actually didn’t have a specific guy I wanted.  But thanks for reading my mind. And now that it seems you have a personal thing for me, which is absolutely adorable, let me explain. 

The Top 10 pick should be an immediate impact player. Someone who should be a consistent starter.  

I didn’t think we stood a chance to get Bosa or Josh Allen.  Those, to me, were the biggest impact players.   When Allen fell past 5, I immediately wanted them to trade up.  Anything higher than that wasn’t worth what we’d have to give up. 

Once he went, I wanted Hock as that’s a huge need on our offense. 

So yes, I’m disappointed in Oliver.  Not because I don’t like the kid. In fact, I loved how he’s reacted and handled himself since being drafted.  My issue is how he will be used.  I don’t want any player at 9 that isn’t a full time starter.  If he’s going to make Harrison take a back seat, okay.  But it not, then I’m not a fan.  I’d have rathered a trade back, OLB, TE, or OT.  

I’m happy we got Ford in the 2nd. I’m not sure how I feel about Knox as his production didn’t show up in college.  Foster’s one of the few players I can think of that’s found a way to turn it on in then NFL. 

So, please pick your fight elsewhere.  I overall know that the organization knows 1000% more than anyone else on this board and their drafts the past two years have the best I’ve seen.  

Also, please utilize grammar.  Reading your horrific syntax makes me go cross-eyed

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Kyle was 35,Oliver is ,what 21 22? Might move him outside at times,too

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I actually didn’t have a specific guy I wanted.  But thanks for reading my mind. And now that it seems you have a personal thing for me, which is absolutely adorable, let me explain. 

The Top 10 pick should be an immediate impact player. Someone who should be a consistent starter.  

I didn’t think we stood a chance to get Bosa or Josh Allen.  Those, to me, were the biggest impact players.   When Allen fell past 5, I immediately wanted them to trade up.  Anything higher than that wasn’t worth what we’d have to give up. 

Once he went, I wanted Hock as that’s a huge need on our offense. 

So yes, I’m disappointed in Oliver.  Not because I don’t like the kid. In fact, I loved how he’s reacted and handled himself since being drafted.  My issue is how he will be used.  I don’t want any player at 9 that isn’t a full time starter.  If he’s going to make Harrison take a back seat, okay.  But it not, then I’m not a fan.  I’d have rathered a trade back, OLB, TE, or OT.  

I’m happy we got Ford in the 2nd. I’m not sure how I feel about Knox as his production didn’t show up in college.  Foster’s one of the few players I can think of that’s found a way to turn it on in then NFL. 

So, please pick your fight elsewhere.  I overall know that the organization knows 1000% more than anyone else on this board and their drafts the past two years have the best I’ve seen.  

Also, please utilize grammar.  Reading your horrific syntax makes me go cross-eyed

Sorry Virgil but you lost me at the bolded part. With the possible exception of Quinnen Williams I’m not sure that there was a player in this draft that could make more of an immediate impact than Oliver. He’s that special and has the EXACT skill set that this team is missing. That inside pressure is the new thing in this league and he is elite at it. He’s going to be a superstar. Go back and watch the clips from early in his career (before he was misused and protecting his draft status). He was absolutely dominant. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Could you guys knock off the petty personal attacks it’s childish and annoying. 

Kirby Jackson is right, Oliver will make the entire d-line better, he is a disruptive force. He will get plenty of snaps. In today’s NFL inside rushers have become more important. The best way to counter a quick release is a guy in that QB’s face.

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Sorry Virgil but you lost me at the bolder part. With the possible exception of Quinnen Williams I’m not sure that there was a player in this draft that could make more of an immediate impact than Oliver. He’s that special and has the EXACT skill set that this team is missing. That inside pressure is the new thing in this league and he is elite at it. He’s going to be a superstar. Go back and watch the clips from early in his career (before he was misused and protecting his draft status). He was absolutely dominant. 

I get it and I have.  Again, it’s not against Oliver.  It’s how we use defensive lineman.  Will McD adjust his rotations and let the kid stay out there?  If so, then I’m great with it. 

If the rotation continues like it has, that’s where I’m concerned.  

Am I taking crazy pills for thinking that way?

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Sorry Virgil but you lost me at the bolder part. With the possible exception of Quinnen Williams I’m not sure that there was a player in this draft that could make more of an immediate impact than Oliver. He’s that special and has the EXACT skill set that this team is missing. That inside pressure is the new thing in this league and he is elite at it. He’s going to be a superstar. Go back and watch the clips from early in his career (before he was misused and protecting his draft status). He was absolutely dominant. 

Absolutely spot on. Had Oliver not sustained the knee injury and had he not been misused, he would have been a top 2 or 3 pick. He will make Star, Jerry and even Shaq better as well (not to mention the LBs behind him). 

A special player.

• Like (+1) 2

McD has always said he adjusts his Dline rotation based on in-game analysis and how his line is handling their matchups.

If Ed is consistently winning and doesnt seem gassed you can expect him to stay in.  He does that with Jerry when he gets hot.  Remember that Kyle and Star are older dudes carrying more weight.

If Ed plays like we hope he will, there isn't a sub-package I can think of that wouldn't include that guy.  Penetrating 3 techs are great vs run, pass, short yardage, goal line, 3rd and longs etc 

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I get it and I have.  Again, it’s not against Oliver.  It’s how we use defensive lineman.  Will McD adjust his rotations and let the kid stay out there?  If so, then I’m great with it. 

If the rotation continues like it has, that’s where I’m concerned.  

Am I taking crazy pills for thinking that way?

I wouldn’t say that you are taking crazy pills but you are over analyzing it. You are equating impact to snap count. Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes both played about 65% of the snaps last year. Whether it was Allen, Bosa or Oliver the Bills were looking to rush the passer. Oliver has the clearest path to the field of any of those guys because no one on the roster can rush from the inside. I’ve advocated playing Shaq at the 3 technique on certain plays over the last couple of years. This was a massive need. I’m thinking that Oliver will be somewhere between the 65% of snaps that those guys played and the 80% that a guy like Fletcher Cox played. I’m thinking he’s around 70% and they will be impactful.

• Like (+1) 3

I could post this in about three different threads, and have said it before. The road to any success for the Buffalo Bills goes through New England and Tom Brady. WRs are nice, as are TEs and OTs, but if you want to beat Brady you have to rush four or five, you have have pressure up the middle and constantly be in his face. Ladies and gentlemen I give you Ed Oliver.

• Like (+1) 3

It will be a heavy rotation. McDermott and Frazier aren't going to change their basic philosophy over a rookie. Maybe if he actually does turn into Aaron Donald they will make some adjustments but not at this point.

Edited by vincec