Trust the Process

COACH85

Other than not being able to Draft D.K. Metcalf when he started to slide to the end of the 2nd Round or at least get Hakeem Butler in the 3rd Round, I really liked the Bills Draft AGAIN this year, especially the first 4 picks.  The Bills probably end up with two immediate starters in Oliver and Ford with possibly two other starters (Singletary and Knox) by the end of the year if things play out right.  In 2018 we had another AWESOME Draft where we FINALLY secured our Franchise QB in Josh Allen, a Stud MLB in Tremaine Edwards, Taron Johnson was a Beast when healthy and WR Robert Foster was a Surprising and Spectacular Undrafted Free Agent.  Oh, by the way, we TRADED UP TWICE to get those TWO key cogs in Allen and Edwards to lead our Off and Def respectively for easily the next decade.  Both of these Drafts under the McDermott and Beane Combo have been solid (although our 2019 picks still have to prove themselves on the NFL field). 

Our GM and Head Coach have spent their entire first two years together trying to clean up the COMPLETE MESS they inherited from Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan with regards to Contracts and Overall Talent.  I would say they are doing an Excellent job in BOTH these areas so far.    What I can't understand is when a Report comes out the day before the Draft that the Bills might be interested in moving up in the Draft to #3 to get Quinnen Williams, why does a WGR Talk Show Host (Schoop) go on a Negative Rant for HOURS comparing a possible move like this with EVERYTHING that has transpired with the Bills over the past 20 so years and he goes on to complain that the Bills don't have a clue what they're doing and never will with moves like this??? 
Isn't he a talk show host?   Its a different time, different players involved, different organizational leaders at GM and Head Coach, etc.......AND more importantly, these two guys have done nothing but put the Bills in a much better position both with Talent AND Cap Situation than we've ever had in the past 20 years.  They did NOT make the Trade to move up because they DO know what they are doing BUT if they did, I would believe in their professional judgement because up until this point, most of their decisions (other than Peterman and Benjamin) have been pretty spot on and I'm happy with where the Bills Team is right now.  Trust the Process!   Thoughts????  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Whether one trusts it or not doesn't matter. Everyone has to deal with it because the process is happening no matter how unhappy they may be with it.

There's an element of truth with this, though I believe they're playing with fire by not doing what Cleveland's done to help Mayfield.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Great post OP! This time of year tends to bring out the Chicken Little sky is falling types, precisely because the draft is such a subjective science and every draftnik out there thinks their take is the best one, and any deviation therefrom equals sure failure. I agree with your hesitation re DK or Butler slides, but overall I think they did a great job with once again improving our roster significantly from where we were before. That’s the key—by any objective measure, we are better than we were before the draft/FA.  Take some deep breaths my cynical many times burned fellow Bills fans! 

• Like (+1) 1

The draft came out pretty much as I predicted. The Bills got one and half picks that anybody has ever heard of and then a whole bunch of guys that the Board immediately said “who”? I’m hoping the professionals know what they’re doing. They spend way more time at it then I do. But...at first glance I’m thinking this one will be a semi-dud. 

Go Bills

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

There's an element of truth with this, though I believe they're playing with fire by not doing what Cleveland's done to help Mayfield.

So because they didn’t draft a WR they didn’t help Allen? I think Ford might be helpful. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, nucci said:

so will Beasley and Brown

Don't forget an offensive line that can let Allen drop back and plant his feet, or a defense that can limit the opponents scoring even more.

Edited by Woodman19
  • Like (+1) 1

While I understand your arguments here, @chris heff, @nucci and @Woodman19, I'll say this again: I look at what Cleveland's done to help their young QB. I compare it to what Beane and McDermott have done. There really isn't a comparison, unless you're willing to claim that one of the legion of guys they've brought in compare with ODB and Jarvis Landry. You could say Cleveland has two #1 guys, and we have 3-4 #2s at best, not to mention better RBs and TE.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

While I understand your arguments here, @chris heff, @nucci and @Woodman19, I'll say this again: I look at what Cleveland's done to help their young QB. I compare it to what Beane and McDermott have done. There really isn't a comparison, unless you're willing to claim that one of the legion of guys they've brought in compare with ODB and Jarvis Landry. You could say Cleveland has two #1 guys, and we have 3-4 #2s at best, not to mention better RBs and TE.

We are trying to build a championship team and maximise draft value by taking what's there, not help a single player by drafting what we wish was there.  He still gets help indirectly a strong supporting cast and the team as a whole benefits from the improved depth.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

lol anointing Cleveland the team you copy your draft with after 1 year with no playoffs.

Or you dont reach based off your board and you do what you need to do for THIS team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, COACH85 said:

Other than not being able to Draft D.K. Metcalf when he started to slide to the end of the 2nd Round or at least get Hakeem Butler in the 3rd Round, I really liked the Bills Draft AGAIN this year, especially the first 4 picks.  The Bills probably end up with two immediate starters in Oliver and Ford with possibly two other starters (Singletary and Knox) by the end of the year if things play out right.  In 2018 we had another AWESOME Draft where we FINALLY secured our Franchise QB in Josh Allen, a Stud MLB in Tremaine Edwards, Taron Johnson was a Beast when healthy and WR Robert Foster was a Surprising and Spectacular Undrafted Free Agent.  Oh, by the way, we TRADED UP TWICE to get those TWO key cogs in Allen and Edwards to lead our Off and Def respectively for easily the next decade.  Both of these Drafts under the McDermott and Beane Combo have been solid (although our 2019 picks still have to prove themselves on the NFL field). 

Our GM and Head Coach have spent their entire first two years together trying to clean up the COMPLETE MESS they inherited from Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan with regards to Contracts and Overall Talent.  I would say they are doing an Excellent job in BOTH these areas so far.    What I can't understand is when a Report comes out the day before the Draft that the Bills might be interested in moving up in the Draft to #3 to get Quinnen Williams, why does a WGR Talk Show Host (Schoop) go on a Negative Rant for HOURS comparing a possible move like this with EVERYTHING that has transpired with the Bills over the past 20 so years and he goes on to complain that the Bills don't have a clue what they're doing and never will with moves like this??? 
Isn't he a talk show host?   Its a different time, different players involved, different organizational leaders at GM and Head Coach, etc.......AND more importantly, these two guys have done nothing but put the Bills in a much better position both with Talent AND Cap Situation than we've ever had in the past 20 years.  They did NOT make the Trade to move up because they DO know what they are doing BUT if they did, I would believe in their professional judgement because up until this point, most of their decisions (other than Peterman and Benjamin) have been pretty spot on and I'm happy with where the Bills Team is right now.  Trust the Process!   Thoughts????  

Had to stop there ?

34 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Whether one trusts it or not doesn't matter. Everyone has to deal with it because the process is happening no matter how unhappy they may be with it.

Doesn’t mean you can’t complain about it. That’s what the forum is for. To agree/disagree in a conversational way. 

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Doesn’t mean you can’t complain about it. That’s what the forum is for. To agree/disagree in a conversational way. 

Agree/Disagree, yes. Complain like a child, no.

People love to think complaining everyday about the same ***** is (Agreeing/Disagreeing)

Edited by Boca BIlls

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I understand your position and I think most of us would have loved to have added a true #1 receiver to the team. I personally would have loved DK or Harry. However:

(1) I think the comparisons to Cleveland are a little unfair as I believe they are probably a year or so ahead of the Bills in building their team and had better overall talent on their team when they selected Mayfield, as opposed to Allen.

(2) I am not sure Beane is done, as he has given every indication he would love to find upgrades at WR - in particular an upper echelon talent. Yet, even if it doesn't happen this year, they have done a considerable amount of work to improve the passing game. I've said it over and over: building a strong offensive line and strong running game is the quickest path to improvement for Allen. It allows him to utilize his strengths (play action, time in the pocket to go downfield, etc) while working on improving areas he needs to improve on. It also makes the receivers they have even better.

All indications are that next year's draft is probably going to be much deeper at receiver than this year. I think that is when you will see the big additions at the receiver position. In the meantime, there is absolutely no reason to think they will not be much better this year as they are.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Boca BIlls said:

Agree/Disagree, yes. Complain like a child, no.

People love to think complaining everyday about the same ***** is (Agreeing/Disagreeing)

Wait until you get married.....

17 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I agree with you. But I also don’t think that’s the system we are going to run.  We aren’t going to rely on one or two guys. It’s going to be a spread like the Pats. Also, we aren’t going to have a roster where 4-5 guys eat our entire cap.  

I like our WR situation now.  There wasn’t a clear #1 guy available this year.  And no, I didn’t want OBJ. 

We will see how this season goes with 3-4 decent starters and next year’s draft is very offensive heavy. 

4 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

So you are the wife? That is your excuse?

Are you flirting with me?

• Like (+1) 1