Hard to imagine Derek Anderson making the roster

Derek Anderson comes down with a mysterious injury that requires him to go on IR with the possibility to return, Jackson goes to the Practice squad. 

Allen and Barkley active on game days. Jackson called up if an injury Weeks 1-7, Anderson can return after week 8 

39 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Tyree will be on practice squad. Unless he's just lights out in preseason no team is going to add him to their active roster. 

I've never seen this Jackson person play, sounds like posters want him just bc he went to UB.  Not a good reason.   If he can play, fine, but sounds like people are deciding with their hearts and not their heads.  I know Anderson can play QB in the NFL if we need him to, and I want Allen seeing him preparing for game day each week, not rolling a beer belly  out of  the coaches room in shorts every day.    Jackson wasn't even drafted, which tells me all I need to know for now. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

I've never seen this Jackson person play, sounds like posters want him just bc he went to UB.  Not a good reason.   If he can play, fine, but sounds like people are deciding with their hearts and not their heads.  I know Anderson can play QB in the NFL if we need him to, and I want Allen seeing him preparing for game day each week, not rolling a beer belly  out of  the coaches room in shorts every day.    Jackson wasn't even drafted, which tells me all I need to know for now. 

That's completely wrong. He has a ton of talent. Maybe two tons. He needs some time to develop and reel that talent in. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Very raw player who is in the same mold as Allen. Huge arm (was yelled at for throwing too hard at the combine), good mobility, questionable accuracy and ball security. I’m very excited to have him on this team. I would roll with Allen/Barkley with Tyree on the practice squad. 

7 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I find it hard to imagine that Derek is on the roster week 1. He doesn't contribute anything to the gameday roster and would almost certainly be inactive 16 out of 16 weeks barring injury.  

It would make sense for the Bills to persuade him to retire and make him a coach.  Being a "valuable guy in the QB room" isn't enough to have him stick around as one of the 53.

A coach can't take actual reps in practice.  I suspect the Bills like having Anderson suited up during the week and actually showing Allen the throws, footwork, sight reads as a player would see them, not just a coach...

I can’t see any way McBeane will allow themselves to be put in a situation like last year. Allen is susceptible to injury because of his style of play. Unless Jackson just kills it in preseason, we’ll keep Anderson.

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A coach can't take actual reps in practice.  I suspect the Bills like having Anderson suited up during the week and actually showing Allen the throws, footwork, sight reads as a player would see them, not just a coach...

He might beat out Barkley for the active game day job, too. Barkley had a good game, he is not a good quarterback or backup. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is it possible that Anderson gets some guaranteed money if he "makes" the roster, then can retire to become a coach?

No idea.  I’m sure there are some loopholes we can exploit, 

24 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Im in the same boat. That said, I trust the process.

8 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I can’t see any way McBeane will allow themselves to be put in a situation like last year. Allen is susceptible to injury because of his style of play. Unless Jackson just kills it in preseason, we’ll keep Anderson.

Yet, his only injury last season was from staying in a collapsing pocket. Let us not forget that.

8 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I find it hard to imagine that Derek is on the roster week 1. He doesn't contribute anything to the gameday roster and would almost certainly be inactive 16 out of 16 weeks barring injury.  

It would make sense for the Bills to persuade him to retire and make him a coach.  Being a "valuable guy in the QB room" isn't enough to have him stick around as one of the 53.

He only needs to be here for TC once the season starts his "Coaching" days are over and Allen is Allen.

35 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Here is good Tyree from last season vs. Eastern Michigan.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I believe he’ll make the team and be inactive all year IF he refuses to become a coach.

It's an interesting question.  To put someone who is intended to be inactive all year on the 53 is clearly not the best management of the roster spot.

On the other hand, to leave Allen in the position of having no real veteran mentor who can steady him when he has a great game and help him take off his party hat and grind for the next opponent, or who can steady him and keep him from hearing footsteps when he gets beaten up (for a second season) would be completely irresponsible.  A coach is not the same as a player...coaches be doing coach things while players arrive at o-dark-hundred and hit the weights then start the film.

I really have no idea how they're going to handle the QB situation, except hopefully "not like last season".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KRT88 said:

Why would we keep the rookie on the roster? Based on the draft, no one wanted him so someone will waste a roster spot on him? He will be cut and on the practice squad. 

49 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

I see @PromoTheRobot post above, and as he said "good Tyree". I watched , i guess,  the last 4 or 5 UB games, and I thought he was just awful and regressed a bunch during the year. I think he will struggle big time in the NFL, and will be lucky to even make the practice squad. I guess you can say for $75 K, good risk, but no way is he taking a roster spot this year IMO.

Edited by plenzmd1

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Is that actually true?  I mean, I suppose a coach can't take hits, but demoing throws and footwork?  Why not?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's an interesting question.  To put someone who is intended to be inactive all year on the 53 is clearly not the best management of the roster spot.

On the other hand, to leave Allen in the position of having no real veteran mentor who can steady him when he has a great game and help him take off his party hat and grind for the next opponent, or who can steady him and keep him from hearing footsteps when he gets beaten up (for a second season) would be completely irresponsible.  A coach is not the same as a player...coaches be doing coach things while players arrive at o-dark-hundred and hit the weights then start the film.

I really have no idea how they're going to handle the QB situation, except hopefully "not like last season".

...McBeane masterfully crafted his contract with only $180,000 guaranteed, so Anderson is an easy out at any time....can then slide him onto the coaching staff as perhaps an Assistant QB Coach as a reward for being a "good soldier"...certainly bailed McBeane out after the Peterman/McCarron gaffe IMO...I believe week 1 would be the deadline before salary is fully guaranteed as a vested vet...

Derek Anderson signed a 1 year, $1,120,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $90,000 signing bonus, $90,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,120,000. In 2019, Anderson will earn a base salary of $1,030,000 and a signing bonus of $90,000, while carrying a cap hit of $735,000 and a dead cap value of $90,000.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy