Ed Oliver - Introductory Press Conference

Gugny

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Aaron Donald is kind of meek in his pressers too, at least in the past. He's pretty quiet and polite off the field, and a terror on the field. Of course, I haven't listened to him lately. Not sure if that has changed now that he is so established as an elite defender.

Oliver seemed kind of coached, which is not a bad thing!  I hated how the reporters kept pushing the "Kyle Williams replacement" storyline, and I loved how he had a pat answer "he's great in his own right, I just want to come in and compete"  and just kept broken-recording it.  Whether that's natural or whether he's been coached to those responses, it's not at all a bad thing for a rookie to be kind of a boring interview and do his talking on the field.

I also loved he said KW reached out to him.  From everything I read, Oliver was very dependent on the mentoring of his older brother to help him learn what was expected at the college level, so I think it's probably key for him to find some good mentors (Zo maybe?  Horrible Harry?) who can ease his transition here.  I loved that he seemed so impressed by KW's long career and wanted to pick up some tips how to stay that long.

I have a tip for him: hire a dog nanny so his dog is well-cared for and happy to see him, but not wired or frantic.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was ecstatic that we got Oliver at 9.  I think he could be an absolute beast and a major contributor out of the gate.

Maybe I'm letting a little paranoia creep in, I don't know.  But I have a couple small concerns with regard to this presser.

I really hope he gives up the whole horseback riding thing.  One fall could mean significant injury.  If this is his way of de-stressing, I seriously hope he finds another avenue.  Everyone knows the risks that come with horseback riding and I just hope this isn't indicative of an, "I don't care what you think," attitude.  Especially after the whole coat debacle on the sideline.

The only other concern I have is that his demeanor and verbiage seem to say that he's not very confident.

I don't want some arrogant jerk saying he's going to conquer the league.  He just seems a little meek with his answers.  Maybe he's just trying to be polite, but it does concern me.

Other than that, I think he seems like a great kid and I'm glad we got him!

GO BILLS!!!!

Your concerns will be taken care of right after he makes life miserable for Darnold in our first game.   Seriously though,  he's learning how to deal with the press here as a rookie, he'll be fine.  

7 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It’s the severity of injury... ankle/acl vs head/spinal. I’m sure they’ll bring it up during negotiations. If it results in a clause is anyone’s guess. It’s kind of similar to the motorcycle clauses...

Im sure they don’t want him racing horses or breaking wild mustangs. Taking older horses out for a trot will probably be fine. 

I had the same thought - there's horseback riding, then there's horseback riding.  Show jumping or hunting is pretty dangerous.  A trail ride on a responsive but well trained horse is probably no big deal.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was ecstatic that we got Oliver at 9.  I think he could be an absolute beast and a major contributor out of the gate.

Maybe I'm letting a little paranoia creep in, I don't know.  But I have a couple small concerns with regard to this presser.

I really hope he gives up the whole horseback riding thing.  One fall could mean significant injury.  If this is his way of de-stressing, I seriously hope he finds another avenue.  Everyone knows the risks that come with horseback riding and I just hope this isn't indicative of an, "I don't care what you think," attitude.  Especially after the whole coat debacle on the sideline.

The only other concern I have is that his demeanor and verbiage seem to say that he's not very confident.

I don't want some arrogant jerk saying he's going to conquer the league.  He just seems a little meek with his answers.  Maybe he's just trying to be polite, but it does concern me.

GO BILLS!!!!

He seemed a little meek by twice saying that he thought he could play in the NFL after he was a freshman and just had to wait two years? 

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He seemed a little meek by twice saying that he thought he could play in the NFL after he was a freshman and just had to wait two years? 

I think it was the unusual meekness of repeating that Kyle Williams is great in his own right and he (Oliver) just wants to come in and compete?

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had the same thought - there's horseback riding, then there's horseback riding.  Show jumping or hunting is pretty dangerous.  A trail ride on a responsive but well trained horse is probably no big deal.

Yup. It’s going to be interesting to see the contract details. You want the kid to maintain his enthusiasm and personality. You don’t want him to end up like Christopher Reeve; from Superman to Autobot. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He’s like Superman! No way he get hurt just riding a horse....

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

I was a fan of Ed Oliver before most had heard his name.  He was an absolute beast in my earliest recollection and he remains so.  Please don't let his country charm fool you hardened city dwellers.  

Ed Oliver will be just fine.

Link please. 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I want more horseback riding. Like him entering the stadium while standing up on a bison and riding a lap around field. 

Fixed it

52 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I want more horseback riding. Like him entering the stadium while standing up on his horse and riding a lap around field. 

This is Ed Oliver; not Wade Boggs!  Abusing animals by forcing them to run out in front of 60,000 screaming people is another thread idea that I want no part of.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is Ed Oliver; not Wade Boggs!  Abusing animals by forcing them to run out in front of 60,000 screaming people is another thread idea that I want no part of.

So you want no part of horseback.... no part of bareback.... but you are all about brokeback?

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

I see your point, but I'd call it humility, not meekness. I interpreted it as, "I know my place right now, and I'll show swagger when I've earned it."

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes, I don't thinks he lacks confidence. He thinks he's gonna blow things up in the NFL. Here's hoping.

18 hours ago, Gugny said:

GO BILLS!!!!

Yes saying he was ready for the NFL after his freshman year is a definite lack of confidence.?

He almost seems like he is being very cautious with his comments and wanting to say the correct things.  He is a very emotional guy and from what Ive read this morning he is trying to learn to control that without his big brother around to keep him in check.

It is also a good thing if he feels he hasnt accomplished anything yet.

He doesnt look comfortable in front of the media at this point.

He doesnt seem to like the small school talk and may have extra motivation to embarrass Big school players.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it was the unusual meekness of repeating that Kyle Williams is great in his own right and he (Oliver) just wants to come in and compete?

He usually exudes unbridled enthusiasm. He looked to me like he was coached by his agent or Bills brass to tone it down a notch, and just say I am here to compete. I actually liked his answers a lot.