Ed Oliver - Introductory Press Conference

Gugny

I was ecstatic that we got Oliver at 9.  I think he could be an absolute beast and a major contributor out of the gate.

Maybe I'm letting a little paranoia creep in, I don't know.  But I have a couple small concerns with regard to this presser.

I really hope he gives up the whole horseback riding thing.  One fall could mean significant injury.  If this is his way of de-stressing, I seriously hope he finds another avenue.  Everyone knows the risks that come with horseback riding and I just hope this isn't indicative of an, "I don't care what you think," attitude.  Especially after the whole coat debacle on the sideline.

The only other concern I have is that his demeanor and verbiage seem to say that he's not very confident.

I don't want some arrogant jerk saying he's going to conquer the league.  He just seems a little meek with his answers.  Maybe he's just trying to be polite, but it does concern me.

Other than that, I think he seems like a great kid and I'm glad we got him!

GO BILLS!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I was ecstatic that we got Oliver at 9.  I think he could be an absolute beast and a major contributor out of the gate.

Maybe I'm letting a little paranoia creep in, I don't know.  But I have a couple small concerns with regard to this presser.

I really hope he gives up the whole horseback riding thing.  One fall could mean significant injury.  If this is his way of de-stressing, I seriously hope he finds another avenue.  Everyone knows the risks that come with horseback riding and I just hope this isn't indicative of an, "I don't care what you think," attitude.  Especially after the whole coat debacle on the sideline.

The only other concern I have is that his demeanor and verbiage seem to say that he's not very confident.

I don't want some arrogant jerk saying he's going to conquer the league.  He just seems a little meek with his answers.  Maybe he's just trying to be polite, but it does concern me.

GO BILLS!!!!

Check out the Q&A starting at 1:18.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Aaron Donald is kind of meek in his pressers too, at least in the past. He's pretty quiet and polite off the field, and a terror on the field. Of course, I haven't listened to him lately. Not sure if that has changed now that he is so established as an elite defender.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

GO BILLS!!!!

I get being worried but that's not happening it's a part of who the guy is it's not really realistic to expect him to cut that part of himself out for our paranoia.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I get being worried but that's not happening it's a part of who the guy is it's not really realistic to expect him to cut that part of himself out for our paranoia.

I'm willing to bet that guys get injured far more often playing basketball in the off season than experienced riders on horses.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm willing to bet that guys get injured far more often playing basketball in the off season than experienced riders on horses.

It’s the severity of injury... ankle/acl vs head/spinal. I’m sure they’ll bring it up during negotiations. If it results in a clause is anyone’s guess. It’s kind of similar to the motorcycle clauses...

Im sure they don’t want him racing horses or breaking wild mustangs. Taking older horses out for a trot will probably be fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Aaron Donald is kind of meek in his pressers too, at least in the past. He's pretty quiet and polite off the field, and a terror on the field. Of course, I haven't listened to him lately. Not sure if that has changed now that he is so established as an elite defender.

From what he said about pre game rituals he just seems like a very self contained guy that expresses himself on the field.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Good grief do they now need to do presser ratings at the combine?  He’s a young man coming out of college and early at that.  How many of us would look good under the same set of circumstances.  Let’s let the kid have his play do the talking.

• Like (+1) 2

Some people are introverts and just aren't jazzed about being up in front of people or being the center of attention. Sometimes introversion means they have a smaller but much closer circle of friends. This personality type actually plays well into the team concept, especially those playing on either line. There's my MBTI lesson for the day.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

GO BILLS!!!!

Heard an interview with Houston's play by play analyst. He mentioned how he came in as a freshman, very humble and soft spoken and let his play speak for him. After he became more comfortable, he opened up some and allowed his personality to come out. Said we should expect the same thing from him as a rookie. But once he's comfortable in his new surroundings, and has earned the trust of his teammates, we will see his confidence day in and day out