Predict the OL for week 1 of reg season

GreggTX

LT - Dawkins,  LG - Long, C - Morse, RG - Feliciano, RT - Ford.  Backup T is Nsekhe.  Long, Feliciano, and Nsekhe are safely on the roster based on their contracts.  Spain and Waddle not given much signing bonus.  Sirles and Waddle battle for 4th Tackle spot.  Spain and Teller battle for backup guard.  Bodine might be safe as the backup C.  

LT- Dawkins Nyske

LG- Spain Teller

C- Morse Bodine

RG- Long Feliciano 

RT Waddle Ford

That's what I expect the line to look like in the first preseason game.  Dawkins will have to beat out Nyske for LT.  At the meantime Waddle will push Ford.  If Ford struggles and Dawkins plays well Nyske will than move to RT.  Teller will have to have a hell of a camp to beat out Spain.  Power scheme they are going to favors Spain imo.  Morse is the only guarantee.  I could see a scenario where any lineman on the roster not named Morse could be starting at RG week one.  

On 4/27/2019 at 9:35 PM, Peace Frog said:

LT Nsekhe

LG Spain

C Morse

RG Dawkins

RT Ford

This is exactly my prediction 

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Guaranteed money for the OL free agents:

Morse - $20.4m

Nsekhe - 6.2m

Feliciano - 3.9m

Long - 1.9m

Waddle - 400k

Spain - 200k

Spain got very little money.  Can’t see him starting over Feliciano unless Beane is really bad at giving out contracts.  

He paid them before they actually competed... What's done is done contract wise. Now if Spain plays better at guard than anybody else, will Beane say, hey hey hey, we can't start him, he doesn't get paid enough?

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Why would you move Dawkins to guard when Ford can play guard? Basically all you need to do is put Ford in at LG...why move players to 3 different positions on the line when you only need to change 1??

Nsekhe plays his best at LT, Beane notes that as well as Nsekhe himself, they clearly stated that they will start Ford at RT and he was a high second round pick meaning he will start and if he can handle RT he will. Dawkins struggles at LT last year and Beane mentioned him being unimpressed. Dawkins was a guy who was thought to be a Guard coming into the league. 

The whole thing is going to be new anyways. Idk that your argument for continuity at positions hold up anyways. If you bring in 7 new guys chances are things are going to be shuffled around 

Edited by gonzo1105

On 4/27/2019 at 6:31 PM, Dkollidas said:

LT- Dawkins- Waddle

LG-Spain- Teller

C-Morse- Long

RG-Ford- Feliciano

RT-Nsekhe- Ford*

They keep nine offensive lineman. Ford starts at guard, if an injury happens to Dawkins, Nsekhe goes to LT, Ford to RT, Feliciano or Long to RG.

they have a lot of nice options 

That is how I see it playing out. Teller is going to have to play great to justify keeping him as our 9th oline, he is on the bubble for sure. I also think Bodine has a chance to make it over Teller as the backup C.

21 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Nysecki, Dawkins, Morse, Spain, Ford 

This would be my second choice. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Guaranteed money for the OL free agents:

Morse - $20.4m

Nsekhe - 6.2m

Feliciano - 3.9m

Long - 1.9m

Waddle - 400k

Spain - 200k

Spain got very little money.  Can’t see him starting over Feliciano unless Beane is really bad at giving out contracts.  

Forget the money. Go watch the tape. Feliciano isn't in the same stratosphere as Spain as a player. He took a 1 year prove it contract because he wants to have another go at FA next time around after spending 2018 in a scheme that didn't fit him as well. Zach Brown once did that here and then majorly cashed it.

• Like (+1) 1

As far as the Tackles go based on Beane's comments:

1.  Ford's first position is going to be RT.  This does not mean he will run with the 1's although if he shows he can he will.

2.  Ty can play both.

3.  Dion's at LT.

4.  We will go with the best two tackles.

Now with that information to me it all depends on how Ford holds up at RT.  If he can take that spot, the battle at LT is going to be a good one and I have Ty winning it with his length, footwork and technique.  Dawkins has a tendency to drop his head at times and his hand technique could use a lot of work.  So to me I'm going to say IF Ford shows he can handle RT I'd go with:

Ty, Spain, Morse, Dawkins,Ford

But if Ford cannot handle the RT spot then I'll have to think a little more about this.

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Long-Ford

Agree with Gunner 100%. Feliciano is a coach Johnson guy, but I think Long is the more talented player. Who ever loses the job becomes the main interior backup. Feliciano can also play center. That said, I think it makes some sense to keep Bodine on the roster as the backup center so that Feliciano and Long can focus on being guards. People are definitely sleeping on Long. 

Nsehke will will be the swing. People need to get off the Dawkins to guard bandwagon. Beane said in his presser that they will have Dawkins at LT that they will try Ford at RT and that he's could also play guard, and the Nsehke gives them some felxibilty becuase he can play both left and right tackle,He said the best two tackles will start, acknowledging that Ford cannot play right. He did not mention Waddle. So in theory the only way all three of those guys starts is if Ford moves to guard...At least in the eyes of Beane. Our regime wants Dawkins and Ford to be the starting tackles imo. 

I read it this way but didn't.  In the end he said we will go with the best two guys at Tackle.  He mentioned we have Dion at left.  And shortly afterwards said we will go with the best two guys at the Tackle spots so to me that's open competition.

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing I'm sure of is that Morse will be at Center.

If I had to guess I'd go

LT Dawkins

LG Spain

C   Morse

RG Long

RT Ford

From what I've read Ford is a better pass blocker than run which will come in handy against edge rushers that don't traditionally come off the left side.

In the current NFL landscape, the overwhelming majority of top pass rushers play left defensive end or linebacker, which means they line up across from the right tackle. That includes J.J. Watt, Von Miller, Khalil Mack, Justin Houston, Joey Bosa, Vic Beasley, Cameron Wake, Cliff Avril, Markus Golden, Ryan Kerrigan, Carlos Dunlap, Cameron Jordan, Jason Pierre-Paul and Danielle Hunter, a 22-year-old rising star who recorded 12.5 sacks for the Vikings last year. Ford is a massive upgrade over Mills.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

The only thing we know for sure is that Mitch Morse will be our starting Center.

I really think they are going to give Dion Dawkins another crack to start at Left Tackle.  He will probably start there when training camp begins.  Hopefully he will run with the opportunity.  But if his 2018 struggles start to pop up, the leash will not be a long one.  We have too many other options.  If Dawkins can't lock-down LT, then he probably slides into the Left Guard spot.  What happens with Dawkins will begin a domino effect on the rest of the line...

The reason Ty Nsekhe signed here, was because he saw an opportunity to start (which he wasn't going to get in Washington).  His versatility is key, and I think Beane/McDermott see him as a chess piece who can move around to where he's needed.  At the same time, his age keeps him from being a long-term answer.  Personally, I think he starts training camp at Right Tackle.  But if Dawkins struggles - see above - then Nsekhe will immediately slide to the left side.

As a rookie, Cody Ford will need to earn his place in the starting lineup.  I think he starts training camp as a backup, and will need to wait for opportunities to open up.  If Dawkins wins the job at LT, then Nsekhe stays at RT and Ford will probably start his career on the bench or at Right Guard.  If Dawkins ends up at LG and Nsekhe at LT, then Ford will become our starting Right Tackle - which is where I think the staff ultimately sees him.

Based on starting experience and talent level, I think Quinton Spain has the best chance to win the final spot.  I think he starts training camp at Left Guard, but could end up on the right side if all the other pieces get shifted around.  Spencer Long will probably start training camp as the Right Guard.  But ultimately, I believe he becomes the first interior OL off the bench.  Jon Feliciano had a great path into the starting lineup in March, but now I think he and Wyatt Teller are fighting for backup roster spots.

So ultimately:

C - Morse

LT - Dawkins or Nsekhe

RT - Nsekhe or Ford

RG - Long, Spain or Ford

LG - Spain or Dawkins

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:59 AM, White Linen said:

Relax and don't tell me what to do.  I merely meant we're not desperate anymore to be playing these games anymore.  There's real competition and hoping on top of hope things work out seems in the rearview.

Oh wow is it the off season?  

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:24 AM, Boatdrinks said:

Well, that is what will happen of course. In the meantime , it’s the offseason ! As fans hanging out on a message board, possibilities will be discussed. If you find this practice pointless, check back in when the season starts. 

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:38 PM, White Linen said:

No need to predict.  We have a FO that competition is very important.  Let them compete and the best players play.  

White Linen you came out with a very bold comment when people are just having fun predicting. If you don't like predicting don't do it but your comment "no need to predict" is borderline rude to the others here that are just having fun predicting. telling people on a forums who like to have fun predicting things and say no need to predict.. that comes out bold.

I am sure you didn't mean it that way but you need to lighten up a little.

I dunno why everyone here seems to have Long as the consensus RG, 

He's more of a backup C/LG and hasn't played on the right side. 

He also has a much worse PFF than our other guards. 

In my mind, it would only make sense that if Mr. Nsekhe was our RT before the draft and Cody Ford was able to move from RG to RT, yet we are keeping him at RT,
Mr. Nsekhe would look to be the obvious best available RG on our current roster and not Spencer Long. 

On 4/27/2019 at 10:03 PM, Boatdrinks said:

Dawkins 

Spain

Morse

Feliciano

Ford

This is what I'm thinking.   I think the G position is going to be a battle.  If Ford does not impress early at one of the tackle positions, he could also be thrown into the guard competition.  Nsehke is the swing unless Ford loses the job to the veteran.  Pretty sure management wants Ford to win the Tackle job, leaving Spain, Teller and Long to duke it out for the 2 guard spots and leaving Nsehke at swing where he has been most of his career.

I suppose it's also possible that Dawkins could lose his spot as well.  Leaving Nsehke and Ford as the Tackles and Dawkins becomes the swing.  So many possibilities. However they do it, Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Teller, Long and Nsehke should all be active on game day.  5 starters and 2 as backups.

Edited by Rockinon
just additional thoughts

19 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

This is what I'm thinking.   I think the G position is going to be a battle.  If Ford does not impress early at one of the tackle positions, he could also be thrown into the guard competition.  Nsehke is the swing unless Ford loses the job to the veteran.  Pretty sure management wants Ford to win the Tackle job, leaving Spain, Teller and Long to duke it out for the 2 guard spots and leaving Nsehke at swing where he has been most of his career.

I suppose it's also possible that Dawkins could lose his spot as well.  Leaving Nsehke and Ford as the Tackles and Dawkins becomes the swing.  So many possibilities. However they do it, Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Teller, Long and Nsehke should all be active on game day.  5 starters and 2 as backups.

Nsekhe is listed as a guard on PFF and his rating is waaay higher than every other guard we have.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ty-nsekhe/7636