Must be Jim called in a favor to Frank (Chad Kelly)

MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You would think Chad was the next Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Aaron Hernandez and Rae Carruth all rolled into one, with the way he is maligned on this board.

If he didn't have the talent to play in the NFL, he wouldn't be getting these "2nd chances" in college or in the NFL.  It was nothing to do with who his Uncle is.

With all respect, I think your viewpoint is a bit naive. 

There are many guys who have talent, but who derail their chances by getting cut from a college program, then suffering serious injury just before the draft, and who don't get "2nd chances" after continuing with the same problems that saw them cut from a HS team/cut from a college team/cut from an NFL team.  Yes, if Chad didn't have talent, his Uncle wouldn't open the door, but if he had talent and no Uncle and the same history, it doesn't seem like a stretch that he'd be out of football because that's just what happens to guys with talent, character issues, and no Uncle.

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You would think Chad was the next Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Aaron Hernandez and Rae Carruth all rolled into one, with the way he is maligned on this board.

If he didn't have the talent to play in the NFL, he wouldn't be getting these "2nd chances" in college or in the NFL.  It was nothing to do with who his Uncle is.

Sure it does. The only two organizations that is talent has got him chances with are ones with Jim’s friends in a prominent role. 

Ooo and this is a league so drained in QB talent that Ryan Fitzpatrick keeps getting shots. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With all respect, I think your viewpoint is a bit naive. 

There are many guys who have talent, but who derail their chances by getting cut from a college program, then suffering serious injury just before the draft, and who don't get "2nd chances" after continuing with the same problems that saw them cut from a HS team/cut from a college team/cut from an NFL team.  Yes, if Chad didn't have talent, his Uncle wouldn't open the door, but if he had talent and no Uncle and the same history, it doesn't seem like a stretch that he'd be out of football because that's just what happens to guys with talent, character issues, and no Uncle.

....excellent assessment Hap......because of WHO you know, there is NO such thing as 9 lives.....this is a privileged membership afforded to 1,696 annually, not a RIGHT of passage..high payiong Big Boyz League requires big boyz pants.....he's a diaper dandy stuck in a hi-chair.....Walmart now hiring at $12.75 an hour.....

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At least he's got a coach who can look him in the eye and say "I played with Jim Kelly. I know Jim Kelly. Jim Kelly is a friend of mine. And Chad, you're no Jim Kelly.  Now LISTEN UP!"

Great reference and spot on. I Hope the kid doesn't "Manziel" what could be his last opportunity.

19 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not making any accusations, but let's just say that J often may have looked like he just got punched in the face with a powdered doughnut.

I have heard that elsewhere, but my question is more around Chad Kelly's other history which imply he is not able to keep his issues in some kind of control.

1) cut from his first high school team due to "unexplained disciplinary issues"

2) dismissed from his first college team due to "conduct detrimental to the team" after an altercation with coaches during a spring game, and statement by the head coach indicating it wasn't an isolated incident " He has had a pattern of behavior that is not consistent with the values of our program"

3) arrested outside a bar for disorderly conduct just after being given a "second chance" at another program

4) arrested for criminal trespassing after entering a woman's residence uninvited (presumably while drunk)

Just one of those things has been raised as a serious red flag for other NFL prospects.  It's not just if he's drinking, it's that he seems like a loose cannon who consistently can't follow rules and keep his behavior within bounds - and it looks like a pattern from HS to College to 2nd College to NFL.

Did Jim Kelly have a worse track record than the above?

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have heard that elsewhere, but my question is more around Chad Kelly's other history which imply he is not able to keep his issues in some kind of control.

2) dismissed from his first college team due to "conduct detrimental to the team" after an altercation with coaches during a spring game, and statement by the head coach indicating it wasn't an isolated incident " He has had a pattern of behavior that is not consistent with the values of our program"

3) arrested outside a bar for disorderly conduct just after being given a "second chance" at another program

4) arrested for criminal trespassing after entering a woman's residence uninvited (presumably while drunk)

Just one of those things has been raised as a serious red flag for other NFL prospects.  It's not just if he's drinking, it's that he seems like a loose cannon who consistently can't follow rules and keep his behavior within bounds - and it looks like a pattern from HS to College to 2nd College to NFL.

It was a different time. Things chad is doing now most likely would have been brushed off as “boys will be boys” back then. Like I said there wasn’t video of everything so if It did get out it for the most part was his word against someone else’s word. Actually seeing a video makes it much worse. Also star athletes got away with a ton.

If Jim played now he would have been kicked out of the league. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Chad getting another chance is the same reason coaches in this league get multiples ones.

The issue with Chad is that he has yet to prove himself as a competent NFL starter. There isn’t enough film on him in a starting role to prove that. We hear all about his immense talent on this board, but he has yet to prove himself at the pro level. Somehow he keeps getting chances. Most unproven guys would have been out of football long ago with his track record. If he were a proven NFL talent then I’d understand. 

Edited by SirAndrew

He's had multiple chances.  Personally, I hope he falls flat on his effed up face so someone who actually DESERVES a chance gets one.  

I'm tired of this punk's pathetic story.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It was a different time. Things chad is doing now most likely would have been brushed off as “boys will be boys” back then. Like I said there wasn’t video of everything so if It did get out it for the most part was his word against someone else’s word. Actually seeing a video makes it much worse. Also star athletes got away with a ton.

It was a different time in some regards - sure, drunkenness and disorderliness were more apt to brush off as "boys will be boys" or to never be heard about pre-social-media.

But was it really a different time as regards getting dismissed from multiple programs for discipline issues?  If anything, I think that sort of thing (mouthing off to a coach in public etc) was LESS tolerated then.

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Private lives were for the most part private back then. Everybody didn’t have a camera that instantly shares pics or video with the entire world.  

Private lives are still private for the most part.   If I get into a street fight with a bouncer, that's no longer my private life, right?

But it seems to me that getting cut from multiple programs for "discipline issues" or "conduct detrimental" (the latter involving coaches) has been a big red flag for a long time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

But isn't knowing there will be cameras and still repeatedly acting like a dick the problem?  Jim at least had the foresight to build a bar in his basement away from the prying eyes of the public.    

10 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

15 pages is way too much to shift through.  Can you give me a readers digest version?

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/23/broncos-qb-chad-kelly-arrested/

It's kind of a comedy of errors.  Chad Kelly got incoherent drunk at Von Miller's Halloween party and entered a private residence uninvited, where he frightened the mother of a young child and was sent off when the Man of the House beat him up with a vacuum cleaner tube (I'm not kidding, see above).

Both Kiko Alonso and Jim Bob Cooter have a similar incident in their past they had to live down.   The problem with Chad Kelly is it's the latest in a long line of incidents.  If it were the first/only, it would probably be seen as funny, but even then, when you're the QB and expected to lead the team, trespassing and getting run off by a guy waling on you with a housecleaning tool is not a good look.

2 minutes ago, stony said:

But isn't knowing there will be cameras and still repeatedly acting like a dick the problem?  Jim at least had the foresight to build a bar in his basement away from the prying eyes of the public.    

Rob Gronkowski built himself a "Party Bus".  Lots of guys manage to get drunk even in public and have a hired driver/wingman see them safely home.

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am pretty sure that I remember hearing Vic Carucci, who is close to the Kelly family, that even with Jim’s connection and influence the idea of Chad going to the Bills has allegedly never been broached seriously.  Only because it was believed that having him in Buffalo close to all of the riff raft and enablers from his past, would be a giant distraction.  

I know there was a lot of optimism for him getting a fresh start in Denver.  He seemed to be doing fairly well.  It’s a shame things unraveled because on his way to getting some playing time.  

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

He's had multiple chances.  Personally, I hope he falls flat on his effed up face so someone who actually DESERVES a chance gets one.  

I'm tired of this punk's pathetic story.

I’m kinda in this camp.  Never heard a positive word about him from Buffalo people but still hoped he’d get it together because he was from here.  But he’s on his 16th chance because of his uncle when most people won’t get a second. 

• Like (+1) 1