Buffalo Bills Confirmed UDFA Signing. (2 Left)

MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would like nothing more than to revert to "Hopeful" about the Bills!

Make the choice to be happy and hopeful.  We've spent the last 10 years seeing monsters under the bed (turns out they were under there too, unfortunately).  I'm choosing to expect this team to compete for a championship this year.  It'll be more fun for me that way :)

Just now, akm0404 said:

Make the choice to be happy and hopeful.  We've spent the last 10 years seeing monsters under the bed (turns out they were under there too, unfortunately).  I'm choosing to expect this team to compete for a championship this year.  It'll be more fun for me that way :)

Haha!  It was an allusion to my former screen name which was, in fact, "Hopeful"  I can tell you exactly when I changed.  It was Week 2 of 2015 vs NE Patriots. 

Rex Ryan was ballyhoed as our new savior.  A #4 Defense with our personnel in 2014 was disappointing.  He was going to neuter the NE offense and put it on film.  And that TRUCK!  That truck was so cool.

Now I had been skeptical of the hire, although my preferred choice might well have been equally gawdawful or even worse, which is why I'm not working in the NFL and we can all be thankful.  But I had some very respected football minds talking me around that spring and summer, and I'd eventually bought in.

The whistle blew, and the game was a total CF in all three phases.  Undisciplined, tons of stupid penalties, and not nearly as close as the final score would indicate - one of the few games where I would agree the 19 points we scored in the 4th were true "garbage time".  That's when I changed my screen name.

While I'm happy and hopeful in most areas of life, I am still a "Hapless Bills Fan" until it is proven the franchise is now on the right path.  And while I see positive signs, I also see troubling decisions so my personal jury is still out.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

500 UDFA/32 teams means 15-16 UDFA per team.  Given the average NFL career of 3.3 years, that would be roughly 4-5 players per draft.

I saw a statistic a couple years back that there were 64 (rookie) UDFA on opening day rosters across the NFL, or 2 players per draft.

It doesn't surprise me that there would be a significant pool of UDFA in the NFL, given it's a much larger labor pool than the draft and that work ethic/"fire within" can outdo a talented guy who gets paid and slacks, but 4-5 players per draft seems high, unless they're counting the scout team.

Per Shefter on Sept 5,  2016 there were 481 undrafted players on NFL rosters and 480 combined first and second rounders.

Naturally the numbers that stick on rosters decrease per round so 1 and 2 are the highest combo of any two rounds.

I'm pretty sure the number toward the end of the season increases significantly due to attrition of front line players(I believe it was 530 or so at the end of last year) so the low point for rostered UDFA's in any year should be opening week.

Where people get confused is that it's not just the guys that were signed by that team as a UDFA and made the team and stuck there the entire time.   It's anybody on the roster who wasn't ever drafted by an NFL team.   So the Eddie Yarbrough types that we just think of as "free agents".  

1 hour ago, akm0404 said:

IMO, I can embrace the following approach to building a competent NFL offense:

1. Acquire a good QB

2. Protect said QB

3. Acquire weapons for said QB

Sometimes you try to shortcut the process and and get the weapons first (*cough watkins*), but this is how I'd approach things.  #3 becomes easier in free agency when you take care of #1 and #2 as well.  Not saying we 100% have accomplished #1 and #2, but I have reason to be optimistic.

YES! We invested heavily in the OL, its the right approach. Giving Allen more time will allow him to see plays develop longer by standing in the pocket which will help him read defenses instead of taking off running all the time. Plus with another second or two receivers, even average ones, get open.

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

does anyone know if khalil hodge lb from ub was picked up by any team? i can't seem to find any up to date info.

Thanks for bringing us back to the point of the thread...I can not find any indication he has been picked up or invited to minicamp, and his Twitter says nothing.

I would think he's a guy who would at least get a look.

Anthony Johnson retweeted  something from UB Football that he signed a FA contract with the Buccaneers.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

According to this Forbes article, 13.6% of NFL starters in 2014 were UDFAs. Only 1st and 2nd round draft picks had more starters. Who knew?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/

That is an interesting stat. I have always felt that 6th and 7th rounders were the equivalent in talent and potential as hundreds of UDFA. It should be noted, however, that there are maybe 300 UDFA each year and only 32-40 in the rounds 3-7.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That is an interesting stat. I have always felt that 6th and 7th rounders were the equivalent in talent and potential as hundreds of UDFA. It should be noted, however, that there are maybe 300 UDFA each year and only 32-40 in the rounds 3-7.

Here's another version from 2016 that's even more favorable for UDFAs:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/one-staggering-stat-shows-how-important-undrafted-players-are-in-the-nfl-090516

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, there are more undrafted players in the NFL right now than there are first- and second-rounders combined.

ycm8ibEE_normal.jpg

Hope for underdogs: There are more undrafted free agents on NFL rosters today (481) than 1st- and 2nd-round picks combined (480), per Elias.

image.thumb.png.08b1b26e26d870ed60cf2ba0c95a12b3.png

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Lurker said:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/one-staggering-stat-shows-how-important-undrafted-players-are-in-the-nfl-090516

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, there are more undrafted players in the NFL right now than there are first- and second-rounders combined.

Hope for underdogs: There are more undrafted free agents on NFL rosters today (481) than 1st- and 2nd-round picks combined (480), per Elias.

Yep, thanks for that. Although the numbers remain the same, hundreds for every 32 (plus compensatory) in each round. The other factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is they are super cheap. So a veteran making decent money who was a draft pick from any round that is in his 5th+ year and isn't a star or good player will often be replaced by an UDFA who has some potential and is dirt cheap for three years.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep, thanks for that. Although the numbers remain the same, hundreds for every 32 (plus compensatory) in each round. The other factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is they are super cheap. So a veteran making decent money who was a draft pick from any round that is in his 5th+ year and isn't a star or good player will often be replaced by an UDFA who has some potential and is dirt cheap for three years.

Actually, I'm not sure it would be hundreds vs. 32 per round.     There are probably one (maybe 2) UDFA per team per year that make a roster.    No different than if there was an 8th round of the draft.   And yes, they are cheap!

The encouraging thing for guys like Sills and Easely is that 17% of the snaps by WRs since 2006 have gone to UDFAs.    Those are pretty good odds in the grand scheme of things... 

24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

ycm8ibEE_normal.jpg

image.thumb.png.08b1b26e26d870ed60cf2ba0c95a12b3.png

This is great news!!! I’m def hitting the wait room at lunchtime 

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Actually, I'm not sure it would be hundreds vs. 32 per round.     There are probably one (maybe 2) UDFA per team per year that make a roster.    No different than if there was an 8th round of the draft.   And yes, they are cheap!

As I mentioned earlier..........people tend to equate UDFA's as guys that were from that years class or were originally signed by that team.

The roughly 500 UDFA's on rosters throughout the season include a lot of players who aren't with the team they originally signed with or who worked their way onto a roster thru the practice squad over a period of time or after playing in other league's etc..

If all you take into account are the guys that make the roster outright in their first try you are missing the majority of them.

3 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

does anyone know if khalil hodge lb from ub was picked up by any team? i can't seem to find any up to date info.

By Rachel Lenzi|Published April 28, 2019|Updated 5 minutes ago-BUFFALO NEWS

After the draft ended Saturday, five UB players signed with NFL teams as undrafted free agents: Jackson and cornerback Cam Lewis with the Bills, wide receiver Anthony Johnson with Tampa Bay, center James O’Hagan with the New York Giants and defensive end Chuck Harris with Chicago. Cornerback Tatum Slack was invited to Detroit’s rookie minicamp in May. Khalil Hodge, a linebacker, has not yet announced if he has signed with an NFL team or if he will attend a rookie minicamp.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

UDFAs also have some say in where they go, and (all things equal) choose opportunities where they may get a better shot, whether it's because of depth at their position, the scheme they're running, the position coach who'll be working with them, etc.  It would make sense (to me, at least) that a relatively "free" market would lead to better long-term outcomes...

• Like (+1) 4

My sense is that you'd rather be a UDFA than a 7th round pick for precisely the reason Coach Tuesday espoused above.  Picking your landing spot is huge.  My gut tells me this is probably true for 6th rounders too, but I don't have evidence to support that.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

By Rachel Lenzi|Published April 28, 2019|Updated 5 minutes ago-BUFFALO NEWS

After the draft ended Saturday, five UB players signed with NFL teams as undrafted free agents: Jackson and cornerback Cam Lewis with the Bills, wide receiver Anthony Johnson with Tampa Bay, center James O’Hagan with the New York Giants and defensive end Chuck Harris with Chicago. Cornerback Tatum Slack was invited to Detroit’s rookie minicamp in May. Khalil Hodge, a linebacker, has not yet announced if he has signed with an NFL team or if he will attend a rookie minicamp.

I think WR Anthony Johnson will  make a final roster this year, I am surprised he wasn't drafted.

• Like (+1) 1