Buffalo Bills Confirmed UDFA Signing. (2 Left)

MAJBobby

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sills sounds like a practice squad guy to me,  McKenzie impressed me.  Sills is gonna have to really play well while McKenzie regresses in order for him to make the team imo,  

I think it depends on how well Duke Williams plays. If he is going to make the 53 there is a lot less chance that Sills does. McKenzie made some plays last year and has decent chance to stick, but his chances took three serious blows with the addition of Beasley, who will start, Roberts, who kills McKenzie's chance of sticking as the PR, and to a smaller extent Yeldon, who is likely going to be used as a pass catcher on underneath routes.

Brown, Beasley, Foster and Roberts are locks. That leaves Zay, Williams, McKenzie, Sills and Easley along with 3-4 remaining guys from last year fighting for what is likely two slots. But we do need a big guy that can win jump balls because the team wants a complementary group of receivers and I strongly think we are keeping one of them. Sills will have to beat out Duke for one of those two spots. And Zay, McKenzie and Easley will fight it out for the other, with Zay having a huge advantage although I think he stinks. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

28 scrimmage touches, 245 yards and 2 touchdowns in 7 games with only 1 start. I think the way they used him too in that gadget role has value. Not sure there is anyone else on the roster who can really be used that way. Beasley will pass McKenzie as the starter in the slot but he is a more conventional slot receiver he isn't the bubble screen, end around, jet sweep, out of the backfield type that McKenzie was used as. He just allows the Bills to get creative. He averaged about 30 offensive snaps a game after signing last season - now I would expect that to be lower.... more in the 15-20 snaps per game in 2019 if Beasley is healthy.... but you have to keep him and keep some packages in there for him to use his skill set. Gives defenses a whole extra wrinkle in the game plan that they have to prepare for each week. 

I like him, too, especially for those reasons you mentioned. But as I said above the addition of Beasley like you said, plus Roberts, plus Yeldon even though they don't play the same position hurts his chances. If it were up to me, because of his quickness and ability of those sweeps which adds a new dimension to the offense, I would take McKenzie over Zay. We just don't need Jones skill set in this group. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think it depends on how well Duke Williams plays. If he is going to make the 53 there is a lot less chance that Sills does. McKenzie made some plays last year and has decent chance to stick, but his chances took three serious blows with the addition of Beasley, who will start, Roberts, who kills McKenzie's chance of sticking as the PR, and to a smaller extent Yeldon, who is likely going to be used as a pass catcher on underneath routes.

Brown, Beasley, Foster and Roberts are locks. That leaves Zay, Williams, McKenzie, Sills and Easley along with 3-4 remaining guys from last year fighting for what is likely two slots. But we do need a big guy that can win jump balls because the team wants a complementary group of receivers and I strongly think we are keeping one of them. Sills will have to beat out Duke for one of those two spots. And Zay, McKenzie and Easley will fight it out for the other, with Zay having a huge advantage although I think he stinks. 

I like him, too, especially for those reasons you mentioned. But as I said above the addition of Beasley like you said, plus Roberts, plus Yeldon even though they don't play the same position hurts his chances. If it were up to me, because of his quickness and ability of those sweeps which adds a new dimension to the offense, I would take McKenzie over Zay. We just don't need Jones skill set in this group. 

Fair. They could certainly try Yeldon as that gadget type guy. Not sure Yeldon is a lock either mind you. At the moment I see them keeping all 4 backs but if Singletary lights up pre-season and they are committed to the two vets then does he have any value as a 4th back? He didn't play teams in Jacksonville. Keeping McKenzie as a swiss army knife who could play some RB and some slot WR and plays teams might have more value. 

It is just worth reiterating again that what we know about this regime is if you are the 5th and 6th receiver or the 4th back or the 4th tight end or the 4th safety or anyone towards the bottom of the roster then you sure darn better play teams. Because if you don't they will take someone who may be a tick below you as a scrimmage guy but who plays in the 3rd phase. 

14 hours ago, Lurker said:

Absolutely!   He understands the passing game as a former WR.  I wonder if he's fast enough to play safety if he can't cut it at OLB...

I was thinking he could play a hybrid role at LB/Safety. He's quick, hits and can jump routes. Hopefully he can translate it and turn heads in camp

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think he's a guy that his QB will have to "throw open" at the NFL level.     Allen did not display a lot of touch on his throws last year.    Guys who can really separate and big targets who can high point the ball match better.    Right now....if you need an out ball thrown on a rope.....Allen has a heater for that...........and if you need a ball dropped in the bucket.....Allen has a heater for that.     Maybe that changes and he develops his game to more like what his idol TB12 does but I expect not.

Hmm, ok, will keep an eye on that.

I personally think (hope) Josh can and will develop that talent over the next couple of years as he grows into being a pro franchise QB.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Fair. They could certainly try Yeldon as that gadget type guy. Not sure Yeldon is a lock either mind you. At the moment I see them keeping all 4 backs but if Singletary lights up pre-season and they are committed to the two vets then does he have any value as a 4th back? He didn't play teams in Jacksonville. Keeping McKenzie as a swiss army knife who could play some RB and some slot WR and plays teams might have more value. 

It is just worth reiterating again that what we know about this regime is if you are the 5th and 6th receiver or the 4th back or the 4th tight end or the 4th safety or anyone towards the bottom of the roster then you sure darn better play teams. Because if you don't they will take someone who may be a tick below you as a scrimmage guy but who plays in the 3rd phase. 

Yep. Agree with all of that. Yeldon, IMO, signed a two year deal because Shady and Gore are gone next year. I see them using him only as a third down back and mostly as a pass catcher out of the backfield, and Gore will take a chunk of those third down plays because he is a fierce pass blocker. It's both hard to imagine how they activate Singletary and equally hard they imagine not having him as a third round pick, but I'm sure he was thought of as the guy next year, too, to some degree. It's also possible they get rid of the fullback and let Gore get those few plays (Badol suggested perhaps even Dawson could do some of that if we wanted to scrap the fullback). I like that idea and get Gore in there and the defense doesn't know if he or Shady/Singletary would get the ball. 

And yes, Yeldon cannot at all do what McKenzie can do, other than run the underneath routes, the sweeps were really the unique value McKenzie added. I want that in the arsenal. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. Agree with all of that. Yeldon, IMO, signed a two year deal because Shady and Gore are gone next year. I see them using him only as a third down back and mostly as a pass catcher out of the backfield, and Gore will take a chunk of those third down plays because he is a fierce pass blocker. It's both hard to imagine how they activate Singletary and equally hard they imagine not having him as a third round pick, but I'm sure he was thought of as the guy next year, too, to some degree. It's also possible they get rid of the fullback and let Gore get those few plays (Badol suggested perhaps even Dawson could do some of that if we wanted to scrap the fullback). I like that idea and get Gore in there and the defense doesn't know if he or Shady/Singletary would get the ball. 

And yes, Yeldon cannot at all do what McKenzie can do, other than run the underneath routes, the sweeps were really the unique value McKenzie added. I want that in the arsenal. 

Im not sure Gore makes it through camp. Just a feeling/hunch. I like having him and Shady around to show the young guys how to be pros, but not sure he holds up to stick around this year.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Im not sure Gore makes it through camp. Just a feeling/hunch. I like having him and Shady around to sow the young guys how to be pros, but not cure he holds up to stick around this year.

nah b, they've asked every draft pick how it feels to play w/ the two current player-coach RBs. He might not play a tonne, he's gonna be here at the beginning of 2020 though. 

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Im not sure Gore makes it through camp. Just a feeling/hunch. I like having him and Shady around to sow the young guys how to be pros, but not cure he holds up to stick around this year.

Yep. Although people have been saying that five years running. His tape from last year is pretty surprising. He still runs extremely hard and doesn't look his age at all. Plus we need a short yardage back. I'm not sure you can count on Singletary doing that as a rookie but hard to tell. His tape is incredible. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There'll be none of that around here.

2 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Really liking the Kicker. Perfect 79-79 on extra points. Touchbacks at 70% last year. Very good from 40-49 yd's. Handles 50+ yds pretty well. Played in the northern climate...wind/cold,etc. Could see him pushing HouseMoney in camp

apparently he can punt also

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. Although people have been saying that five years running. His tape from last year is pretty surprising. He still runs extremely hard and doesn't look his age at all. Plus we need a short yardage back. I'm not sure you can count on Singletary doing that as a rookie but hard to tell. His tape is incredible. 

Oh, I sure hope so. But it's the NFL, and every year there are things that dont work out like we expect them to. This is just one of those things I have a hunch about.

Just like it's basically statistically impossible that every OL we brought in will work out well. More like maaaaaybe half of them when real life kicks in.

I think the equivalent combos are Shady/Gore :: Singletary/Yeldon. Singletary being quick and shifty like Shady, and Yeldon being more of our power runner like Gore.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

There'll be none of that around here.

Ha, not sure what happen, that post was littered with typos

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh, I sure hope so. But it's the NFL, and every year there are things that dont work out like we expect them to. This is just one of those things I have a hunch about.

Just like it's basically statistically impossible that every OL we brought in will work out well. More like maaaaaybe half of them when real life kicks in.

I think the equivalent combos are Shady/Gore :: Singletary/Yeldon. Singletary being quick and shifty like Shady, and Yeldon being more of our power runner like Gore.

Ha, not sure what happen, that post was littered with typos

what's the rush to put Yeldon and Singletary on the field this year?

do you think we are currently in a position to win the super bowl?

this is a development year.

Edited by c-troop

1 minute ago, c-troop said:

what's the rush to put Yeldon and Singletary on the field this year?

do you think we are currently in a position to win the super bowl?

this is a development year.

I'm not trying/wanting to rush it. Just how I see it playing out.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not trying/wanting to rush it. Just how I see it playing out.

yeah that's not happening man, Gore and Shady are this years' 1/2 punch,

next year will be Yeldon/Singletary/X back

7 minutes ago, c-troop said:

yeah that's not happening man, Gore and Shady are this years' 1/2 punch,

next year will be Yeldon/Singletary/X back

I dont think anyone can speak in absolutes about what is going to happen in the future in the NFL. We'll see.

I think duke Williams makes the team in that marcus Easley roll.  Could become our special teams ace. Zay Jones is in real danger of not making the squad.  McKenzie offers a unique Jack of all trades roll. Zay is in trouble. 

Edited by Rufridr101