Bills dont draft a WR

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

We'll see how they feel about positional value come 2020.  I have a feeling that what they're saying now and what they do 11 months from now may not be in concert with each other.

Yeah they've already adapted to quicker/faster WR who can separate after initially trying to build a corps of lumbering WR's.

I think their plan is malleable........which is a reason for optimism.

2 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

Don't forget about Duke Williams.  I know highlight reels don't show the bad plays, but Duke looks like he has developed into an exceptional receiver in the CFL.  Check out these catches - he tracks and high-points the ball better than any Bill's receiver in recent memory.  If we drafted a guy in this draft with these highlights, would you be excited?  I like Duke much, much more than David Sills.

Duke Williams Highlights

...posted this earlier FWIW.......

...read an article where McBeane said the Duke Williams signing reduced the top priority/high draft pick necessity in 2019 Draft....must have pretty high expectations....interesting....

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah they've already adapted to quicker/faster WR who can separate after initially trying to build a corps of lumbering WR's.

I think their plan is malleable........which is a reason for optimism.

I was happy they didn't take Metcalf. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but we're talking about who guy who can probably run as fast as Robocop, but changes direction about as slowly as Robocop. I just don't see guys like him as the answer these days. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

Where did these guys get drafted:

Donnel Pumphrey late 4th

Justin Jackson 7th

Miles Gaskin 7th

Ken Dixon late 4th

Jahwan Edwards UD

Jarvion Franklin UD

And maybe one of them, if any, had 67 TD’s in 3 seasons.  Again, as I stated above, it is his running style, vision etc that I believe makes him a good pick in round 3, not just the TD’s alone.  Time will tell.

Keep in mind here we took that TE pretty high and he is a duel threat guy.......not a lot of college production because behind highly drafted WR's.

That has to figure into the mix here.

TJ Yeldon - Pass catching ability

Shady - Pass catching material

Gore - Pass catching ability

Singletary - showed he could catch.

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For what it's worth...

This is a brutally dishonest statement by Bobby Belt.

If you do the math on it, not only is he counting the 2 WRs that were picked last week, he's cutting off his analysis with the last one of the 5 WRs selected in the first round of the 2014 draft--the best WR draft in history.

Here are the last 19 receivers picked in the first round:

Marquise Brown

N'Keal Harry

DJ Moore

Calvin Ridley

Corey Davis

Mike Williams

John Ross

Corey Coleman

Will Fuller

Josh Doctson

Laquan Treadwell

Amari Cooper

Kevin White

DeVante Parker

Nelson Agholor

Breshad Perriman

Phillip Dorsett

Kelvin Benjamin

If Belt wanted to make such a point while still being intellectually honest, he'd have left Brown and Harry off the list, and cut it off at Dorsett.  In that case, he could've said only 1 of the last 16, and the point would've been both relevant and uncontrived.

Instead, he drew an arbitrary line.  If he wants to include someone from the 2014 class, how about all of them? I know the answer: because then you get into guys like Cooks, Beckham, Evans, and Watkins, who are actually really good.

Okay, I'm calm now that I got that off my chest.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is a good point. It will be nice to have some more data points to fully see this approach, Beane has had 2 full offseasons now. 

I have a feeling that they'll try to go after Tyler Boyd next offseason.

He really broke out last year, topping 70 receptions and 1,000 yards with 7 TDs, this despite missing 2 games, playing half a season without AJ Green across from him to draw coverage, and catching passes from Jeff Driskell.  He had a very-solid 70% catch rate and averaged a respectable 9.5 yards per target (good for 23rd in the NFL).

Compare his 2018 season with that of a popular offseason target 'round these parts, Tyrell Williams:

Boyd: 108 targets, 76 receptions, 1,028 yards, 7 TDs

Williams: 65 targets, 41 receptions, 653 yards, 5 TDs

Boyd also ranked 12th in FO's DYAR and 4th in DVOA.

Cincinnati is the kind of team you may be able to pick on in free agency next offseason.  I expect that they'll be in a bit of a transition, as I can't see them keeping Dalton and his $17M cap hit when they can cut him with zero dead money, though if he looks good in Zac Taylor's system they could always extend him.  Aside from Boyd and Dalton, their list of upcoming UFAs includes:

AJ Green

Tyler Eifert

Clint Boling

Andrew Billings

Nick Vigil

Which may not look all that daunting at first glance, but consider that Green is the unquestioned WR1 there, and they can't let both he and Boyd walk out the door.  They have only John Ross with NFL experience under contract behind them, as Cody Core is also a UFA. Eifert, while injured, is the only TE on the roster aside from Uzomah with any experience. Boling played 969 snaps in 2018, and is one of the team's steadiest linemen--both he and Trey Hopkins, their other starting guard, are UFAs next offseason. Vigil and Billings both played over 600 snaps on defense in 2018; both are slated to start again this offseason.

With $45M under the cap, something has to give somewhere, so if I'm Buffalo, Boyd and/or Green are guys I'm targeting to make a big offer.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

This is a brutally dishonest statement by Bobby Belt.

If you do the math on it, not only is he counting the 2 WRs that were picked last week, he's cutting off his analysis with the last one of the 5 WRs selected in the first round of the 2014 draft--the best WR draft in history.

Here are the last 19 receivers picked in the first round:

Marquise Brown

N'Keal Harry

DJ Moore

Calvin Ridley

Corey Davis

Mike Williams

John Ross

Corey Coleman

Will Fuller

Josh Doctson

Laquan Treadwell

Amari Cooper

Kevin White

DeVante Parker

Nelson Agholor

Breshad Perriman

Phillip Dorsett

Kelvin Benjamin

If Belt wanted to make such a point while still being intellectually honest, he'd have left Brown and Harry off the list, and cut it off at Dorsett.  In that case, he could've said only 1 of the last 16, and the point would've been both relevant and uncontrived.

Instead, he drew an arbitrary line.  If he wants to include someone from the 2014 class, how about all of them? I know the answer: because then you get into guys like Cooks, Beckham, Evans, and Watkins, who are actually really good.

Okay, I'm calm now that I got that off my chest.

And of that list there are a good amount of receivers who's stock is trending up. Ridley, Moore, Williams, Davis, Fuller(if he can stay healthy) and Agholor are all trending up. The only real busts on that list are Benjamin, White, Ross and Dorsett. That's about right in line for what you would consider success in the first round for a draft pick.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

And of that list there are a good amount of receivers who's stock is trending up. Ridley, Moore, Williams, Coleman, Fuller(if he can stay healthy) and Agholor are all trending up. The only real busts on that list are Benjamin, White, Ross and Dorsett. That's about right in line for what you would consider success in the first round for a draft pick.

I have a feeling the pro bowl percentage for 1st round receivers will get a significant uptick once the 2020 class has a chance to make waves.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I was happy they didn't take Metcalf. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but we're talking about who guy who can probably run as fast as Robocop, but changes direction about as slowly as Robocop. I just don't see guys like him as the answer these days. 

I wanted DK, especially once he fell into the second, but that's damn funny. Next yrs draft has lots of wr talent at the top of the draft and quality free agents. No reason the position shouldn't be greatly upgraded soonish. Just need Allen to show growth with remade line, and modestly capable wr corp, TEs with knees that work, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

And of that list there are a good amount of receivers who's stock is trending up. Ridley, Moore, Williams, Coleman, Fuller(if he can stay healthy) and Agholor are all trending up. The only real busts on that list are Benjamin, White, Ross and Dorsett. That's about right in line for what you would consider success in the first round for a draft pick.

I agree with you and Bandit in general. But one small point, Coleman is definitely not trending up. He's been on the slide since being shipped out of Cleveland and not bothering to even try with the Bills. His only trend up is that the Giants got rid of OBJ, so that bumps him up the depth chart one spot, for now.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree with you and Bandit in general. But one small point, Coleman is definitely not trending up. He's been on the slide since being shipped out of Cleveland and not bothering to even try with the Bills. His only trend up is that the Giants got rid of OBJ, so that bumps him up the depth chart one spot, for now.

Whoops I mean Davis, haha, not sure why I typed Coleman.

21 hours ago, Forward Progress said:

Don't forget about Duke Williams.  I know highlight reels don't show the bad plays, but Duke looks like he has developed into an exceptional receiver in the CFL.  Check out these catches - he tracks and high-points the ball better than any Bill's receiver in recent memory.  If we drafted a guy in this draft with these highlights, would you be excited?  I like Duke much, much more than David Sills.

Duke Williams Highlights

Agree, but we did get a rookie with this type of reel, his name is David Sills V and it will be fun to watch these two battle the other WRs in camp and preseason.