Bills dont draft a WR

Next year is considered to be a good draft year for WRs.  And also there are a lot of WRs in free agency, and we have a ton of cap space yet again next year.  So just as Beane addressed the O line by bringing in a ton of guys this off season, I expect he would do the same at the WR position if he and Sean are not happy with performance at the position this year.

Of course, if he does so the same folks carping and moaning that he didn't draft a WR this year will then carp and moan that he didn't draft a (name your position) next year.  But that's another story.

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Reminds me a lot of the 2008 draft. We were clamoring for a WR and there were a bunch coming out, but zero went in the 1st round and most of the guys picked in the 2nd didnt amount to much, even though we had high hopes for Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas, Jerome Simpson, Malcolm Kelly, Early Doucet, and even our own pick James Hardy. Jordy Nelson and DeSean Jackson were the only guys to come out of that group of 10 WRs to go in the 2nd and the ultimately 35 total picked in the entire draft.

I know, I know..........the WR's fell FOR A REASON..........but Cody Ford didn't fall because of questions about his ability to play OT.......it was because Beane is a witch.:rolleyes:

How often do 5'7" RB's who run a 4.6 40 and have virtually no tape in the passing game get drafted early in round 3?:flirt:    

And isn't the Dawson Knox pick reminiscent of the Shawn Nelson pick from 2009?   Remember he was the icing on the Eric Wood-cake from the "heist" pulled off by Russ on the Eagles for Jason Peters.  Except of course that Knox was much less productive and from a different Mississippi school, of course.

To say the least there were some leaps of faith on Beane's half..........at some point you gotta' throw some coins in the fountain for WR help.

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know, I know..........the WR's fell FOR A REASON..........but Cody Ford didn't fall because of questions about his ability to play OT.......it was because Beane is a witch.:rolleyes:

How often do 5'7" RB's who run a 4.6 40 and have virtually no tape in the passing game get drafted early in round 3?:flirt:    

And isn't the Dawson Knox pick reminiscent of the Shawn Nelson pick from 2009?   Remember he was the icing on the Eric Wood-cake from the "heist" pulled off by Russ on the Eagles for Jason Peters.  Except of course that Knox was much less productive and from a different Mississippi school, of course.

To say the least there were some leaps of faith on Beane's half..........at some point you gotta' throw some coins in the fountain for WR help.

I dont think anyone is arguing that we are all set at WR and the unit doesnt need help. Heck, in the Julio/Clowney thread Im currently arguing that WR needs to be addressed over DE given the current roster.

As far as this thread goes, you can only do so much in a single draft. Beane knows this as well, hence him bringing in a crew of WR FAs and being active in the Antonio Brown talks.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think anyone is arguing that we are all set at WR and the unit doesnt need help. Heck, in the Julio/Clowney thread Im currently arguing that WR needs to be addressed over DE given the current roster.

As far as this thread goes, you can only do so much in a single draft. Beane knows this as well, hence him bringing in a crew of WR FAs and being active in the Antonio Brown talks.

How about this rationale........you sign 6 mostly interior OL in UFA and 3 RB's and then you use second round pick on a guy who is best suited to guard and your third pick on a RB.:lol:

You can definitely see the non-positional Gettleman-fluence in Beane's board.

6 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Whenever they score 67 TD’s in 3 years?

I'm sure you think that list puts him in elite NFL company but very few of the top 20 TD scorers in NCAA history became even useful NFL RB's.

There is a handful of studs (Ricky Williams, Faulk, Dorsett)..........and then not even many serviceable NFL backs at all.   

I think he's good........RB1 in a bad class.........but you can get "good" RB production all over the draft.     Is he a producer like Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt?   Doubt it but would love it.   

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm sure you think that list puts him in elite NFL company but very few of the top 20 TD scorers in NCAA history became even useful NFL RB's.

There is a handful of studs (Ricky Williams, Faulk, Dorsett)..........and then not even many serviceable NFL backs at all.   

I think he's good........RB1 in a bad class.........but you can get "good" RB production all over the draft.     Is he a producer like Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt?   Doubt it but would love it.   

I think this season is a training year for him. Shady's contract is up after this season. I think he's a pretty good prospect -- he does look terrific in the field (and doesn't fumble!) -- and I liked the pick (partly because I trust Kirby J!).

20 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Whether or not this rookie class is bad is of course an opinion. It’s about projection and value. When evaluating the talent, it appears that this class lacks elite top end WRs. And that’s exactly what the Bills are missing. They have a bunch of WR2s and WR3s. Why after you have evaluated the talent would you reach and draft someone that you already have on your roster with less talent when there is a starting RT and other players you have a higher grade on? Because it’s something you think they need more and should prioritize? 

Do you know where the majority of WR1s are drafted? I’ll give you a hint it’s not between picks 25 and 67.

No one says just wait til next year, maybe with a QB. You draft what’s in front of you, you can’t fix every problem in one draft. 

Great post.

16 hours ago, the skycap said:

My question is next year's WR class better than this year's?  Better yet, who in next year's draft do you want to see the Bills acquire at WR? I, for one, wanted the Bills to draft DK Metcalf/Hakeem Butler. Who's next year's version of DK Metcalf/Hakeem Butler?

There are a lot of articles out there spelling out how next year's WR draft is 1996- and 2014-level with regard to the talent. I'm not a fan of Walter Football, but check out the pick and the rationale re: 2019. https://walterfootball.com/draft2020.php

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, I don’t think the TD’s alone will make him elite, but I do think that the skills he displayed in college will make him an effective RB in the NFL, especially the “intangibles” like vision and elusiveness. 

Like you, I hope for Kamara or Hunt like production, but in reality, the way NFL teams use RB’s now, he can still add value with production below that bar.

16 hours ago, the skycap said:

My question is next year's WR class better than this year's?  Better yet, who in next year's draft do you want to see the Bills acquire at WR? I, for one, wanted the Bills to draft DK Metcalf/Hakeem Butler. Who's next year's version of DK Metcalf/Hakeem Butler?

Honestly, I doubt Metcalf or Butler would be in the conversation of top 10 WRs in next year's draft...

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Honestly, I doubt Metcalf or Butler would be in the conversation of top 10 WRs in next year's draft...

I know this much.......Hollywood Brown is a fraction of the prospect that CeeDee Lamb is.    

The disparity reminded me of watching Adarius Bowman at Oklahoma State and seeing Dez Bryant as his younger counterpart on the other side.   Bowman got all the love because he was an upperclassman but Bryant made the better plays.    I don't expect to see Hollywood in the CFL anytime soon but Lamb is the real deal.   He'd have easily been WR1 this year.   And next year he might be WR4 or WR5 so you might be right.

That doesn't help Josh Allen get off the mat as a passer this year though.   This is probably the most pivotal season of his career the way the NFL is set up now.  And with completion % in the 50's and more INT's than TD's his passing stats were horrible...........he needs a quantum leap otherwise he's going to be RB1 again this year trying to move the football.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Whenever they score 67 TD’s in 3 years?

Where did these guys get drafted:

Donnel Pumphrey late 4th

Justin Jackson 7th

Miles Gaskin 7th

Ken Dixon late 4th

Jahwan Edwards UD

Jarvion Franklin UD

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know this much.......Hollywood Brown is a fraction of the prospect that CeeDee Lamb is.    

The disparity reminded me of watching Adarius Bowman at Oklahoma State and seeing Dez Bryant as his younger counterpart on the other side.   Bowman got all the love because he was an upperclassman but Bryant made the better plays.    I don't expect to see Hollywood in the CFL anytime soon but Lamb is the real deal.   He'd have easily been WR1 this year.   And next year he might be WR4 or WR5 so you might be right.

That doesn't help Josh Allen get off the mat as a passer this year though.   This is probably the most pivotal season of his career the way the NFL is set up now.  And with completion % in the 50's and more INT's than TD's his passing stats were horrible...........he needs a quantum leap otherwise he's going to be RB1 again this year trying to move the football.   

I get this, but if they're seeing a couple of Julios and a couple of Sammys (I'm still a believer!) in next year's draft, then investing your money in THAT player (and you get a fifth year if he's a first, and none really were this year) rather than the 1B guys on offer this year is the smarter play. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Draft a QB.

Protect him.

Acquire the weapons.

Simple three step process.  Step 3 is bolstered significantly by accomplishing the first two - elite free agent WRs don't pick teams with bad qbs.

Don't overthink it :)

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I get this, but if they're seeing a couple of Julios and a couple of Sammys (I'm still a believer!) in next year's draft, then investing your money in THAT player (and you get a fifth year if he's a first, and none really were this year) rather than the 1B guys on offer this year is the smarter play. 

Why not both?

Rams bought Woods and then used 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round draft picks in Goff years 2 and 3 on acquiring WR talent.    

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't disagree with you. I would love to see an elite receiving talent to help Allen progress. I think Beane and McDermott would love it as well. I just do not think there was a WR in this year's FA or Draft groups that would have provided that this year. The only two elite receivers that were openly available via trade were Brown and OBJ. Beane tried with Brown and the value to give up for OBJ was, IMO, too great, in spite of what he could have provided for Allen.

I am still hoping Beane can find a trade partner to bring in an upper echelon receiver at a reasonable cost. My guess is he has been trying and will continue to do so. However, there are not a lot of options and it may have to wait until next year's FA and draft.

If that is the way it works out, then it is what it is. I just do not happen to be of the same opinion as some regarding how detrimental it will be to Allen this year if the receiving corps stays as it is. If the offensive line turns out to be a strength of this team (which I think it will), that alone will make Allen and this group of receivers better. As a matter of fact, I will go so far as to say an offensive line that is strong from tackle to tackle provides a quicker path to Allen's improvement than a true #1. 

Have heart, my friend, I see good things coming :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Those two Alabama kids are dynamite too.  I'd take either of them on this team right now in exchange for my 2020 1st.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't expect to see Hollywood in the CFL anytime soon but Lamb is the real deal.   He'd have easily been WR1 this year.   And next year he might be WR4 or WR5 so you might be right.

The above is SO accurate!!!

I am going to go out on a limb and predict that the 2019 draft actually sucks compared to the one we will see in 2020. I know this is may sound a bit over the top but I am serious. And I do agree that this is certainly a pivotal year for Josh. That said, if these kids stay healthy the 2020 draft will be one of the best drafts EVER at the WR position.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why not both?

Rams bought Woods and then used 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round draft picks in Goff years 2 and 3 on acquiring WR talent.    

Which 1A FA receiver was out there this year who was comparable to Woods? It's arguable that the Bills got the best of the bunch in John Brown, who was on pace for a terrific season until Flacco was benched. https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/3/9/18203492/more-2019-free-agents-wide-receivers

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Those two Alabama kids are dynamite too.  I'd take either of them on this team right now in exchange for my 2020 1st.

Bandit, there are 3 that can come out.....Jeudy (perhaps a top 5 pick), Ruggs (4.25 40 dash time, and actually blocks) and Devonta Smith (a can't miss prospect with great moves, acrobatic, and glue hands).

These kids are all sensational. Btw, they also have a great soph playing next year - Jaylen Waddle. :)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

Bandit, there are 3 that can come out.....Jeudy (perhaps a top 5 pick), Ruggs (4.25 40 dash time, and actually blocks) and Devonta Smith (a can't miss prospect with great moves, acrobatic, and glue hands).

These kids are all sensational. Btw, they also have a great soph playing next year - Jaylen Waddle. :)

I haven't seen as much from Smith, but Jeudy and Ruggs are unbelievable.  I think Ruggs is going to go top-10 after seeing what Tyreek Hill did for the Chiefs (though, as I understand it, Ruggs is a really good kid).  Ruggs might have the best combination of speed, hands, and blocking I've seen in 10 years.

• Like (+1) 1