Bills dont draft a WR

18 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think they're banking more on the idea that their hand-picked QB can raise the level of play of a rather mediocre group of WRs, each of whom have a single thing that they do pretty well.

And that's not necessarily wrong per se, but I'm a much bigger fan of the Rams/Chiefs approach that says "stack the roster with ridiculously talented pass catchers and give my QB the best chance I can" 

He should have good protection & good run support. I think seeing if he can elevate the receivers when given time and allowing him to work through progressions will be good for his development. Then get him a stud or 2 next year. The market wasn't great this year, but they still got some nice pieces.

17 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Not really, I share the same opinion. I just don’t think the talent was there in the draft this year. I think they would have come out at best with a WR2. 

The past 2 draft classes haven’t yielded a 1000 yard receiver in their rookie years, so it’s also unlikely they would have been much help to Josh this year.

Ive wanted the Bills to trade for that talent, it was the only way it was going to happen. Tried with AB and my guess was the price was too high for OBJ. 

Not picking on you, Wayne, but everyone here states that this was a bad WR class--as if that's an established fact.  And it's true that the first WR wasn't taken until pick 25, and yet between pick 25 and pick 67 (which is historically is a very productive part of the draft for taking WRs) there were 11 WRs taken, including some very interesting prospects, like Parris Campbell, Mecole Hardman, and Andy Isabella.  I'm happy with the Bills' draft, but it's still a little disappointing that they didn't prioritize this position and jump back in at the end of the second or early third.  I just don't buy the "wait till next year" refrain on WRs.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills stuck to their board and didn’t want to reach. If they took a WR , it may have meant no fixing of the RT position that has long been a weakness. While I wanted a WR, I think the best fit was Nkeal Harry and he was gone. Could they have moved up for him in round one? We know the cost was high because they tried to do this for Ford, but waited. Fixing the OL isn’t as enticing as drafting a WR, but it is vital. The OL was not up to NFL standards last year, and they are following that formula of building from the inside out. There are still possibilities for a trade to upgrade the WR position, but it has been improved overall from last years group. The biggest holes on the team were OL, WR, DT and TE. They managed to address all 4 this offseason to some degree. If Allen makes big strides this season, WR is sure to be the priority position next offseason/ draft. 

20 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think they're banking more on the idea that their hand-picked QB can raise the level of play of a rather mediocre group of WRs, each of whom have a single thing that they do pretty well.

And that's not necessarily wrong per se, but I'm a much bigger fan of the Rams/Chiefs approach that says "stack the roster with ridiculously talented pass catchers and give my QB the best chance I can" 

I hear you but don't forget that the Chiefs had a good O-line (we got their centre) and the Rams spent two years going from maybe having the worst to maybe having the best O- line in the whole league before things started to come together for them on offence. My only regret this year is that we couldn't get both Ford and Risner (but that is a pipe dream, overkill and wasn't going to happen anyway). As others have said WR will probably be at the top of our agenda in 2020 and there will be some good ones available. Let's make sure we put the horse before the cart. In the meantime if we are lucky Zay will make a big leap and maybe Williams will be that big bodied physical receiver that can play inside and out that we so badly need. But no doubt WR (and I would add RB even after Devin) is a pressing need going forward.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

There hasn't been an offseason in recent memory that was as primed for adding WRs as the 2020 offseason

Any chance that NO is going to let Michael Thomas walk?

I’d be SHOCKED. I don’t see it. They will make a lot of other decisions before Thomas. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I hear you but don't forget that the Chiefs had a good O-line (we got their centre) and the Rams spent two years going from maybe having the worst to maybe having the best O- line in the whole league before things started to come together for them on offence. My only regret this year is that we couldn't get both Ford and Risner (but that is a pipe dream, overkill and wasn't going to happen anyway). As others have said WR will probably be at the top of our agenda in 2020 and there will be some good ones available. Let's make sure we put the horse before the cart. In the meantime if we are lucky Zay will make a big leap and maybe Williams will be that big bodied physical receiver that can play inside and out that we so badly need. But no doubt WR (and I would add RB even after Devin) is a pressing need going forward.

Well, I'm treating the two areas as mutually-exclusive.  Had there been an avenue to improve both the OL and the WR group in massive ways this offseason, I feel pretty confident they'd have done so.  As it stands, I think they did a solid job of giving themselves good odds at having sufficient OL to support their offense.

In general, I don't really worry about the logistics of improving the OL so much since there's almost always good players available.  I mean, just this offseason a guy that was one year removed from being the best guard in football got traded for less than a 7th round pick.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d be SHOCKED. I don’t see it. They will make a lot of other decisions before Thomas. 

I just wonder how they're going to fit all of Brees, Thomas, Peat, Apple, and Bell, plus their 2019 and 2020 draft picks, under the cap.  As it stands today, they'll probably be about $75M under, but once Brees gets his pound of flesh, that number will be cut by 40%.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, I'm treating the two areas as mutually-exclusive.  Had there been an avenue to improve both the OL and the WR group in massive ways this offseason, I feel pretty confident they'd have done so.  As it stands, I think they did a solid job of giving themselves good odds at having sufficient OL to support their offense.

In general, I don't really worry about the logistics of improving the OL so much since there's almost always good players available.  I mean, just this offseason a guy that was one year removed from being the best guard in football got traded for less than a 7th round pick.

I just wonder how they're going to fit all of Brees, Thomas, Peat, Apple, and Bell, plus their 2019 and 2020 draft picks, under the cap.  As it stands today, they'll probably be about $75M under, but once Brees gets his pound of flesh, that number will be cut by 40%.

Peat is almost certainly gone and may be a candidate to be traded now. He may be the 6th OL now. They drafted a potential replacement for Bell in Gardner-Johnson and Apple can go either way. They will be keeping Brees and Thomas. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Not picking on you, Wayne, but everyone here states that this was a bad WR class--as if that's an established fact.  And it's true that the first WR wasn't taken until pick 25, and yet between pick 25 and pick 67 (which is historically is a very productive part of the draft for taking WRs) there were 11 WRs taken, including some very interesting prospects, like Parris Campbell, Mecole Hardman, and Andy Isabella.  I'm happy with the Bills' draft, but it's still a little disappointing that they didn't prioritize this position and jump back in at the end of the second or early third.  I just don't buy the "wait till next year" refrain on WRs.

Whether or not this rookie class is bad is of course an opinion. It’s about projection and value. When evaluating the talent, it appears that this class lacks elite top end WRs. And that’s exactly what the Bills are missing. They have a bunch of WR2s and WR3s. Why after you have evaluated the talent would you reach and draft someone that you already have on your roster with less talent when there is a starting RT and other players you have a higher grade on? Because it’s something you think they need more and should prioritize? 

Do you know where the majority of WR1s are drafted? I’ll give you a hint it’s not between picks 25 and 67.

No one says just wait til next year, maybe with a QB. You draft what’s in front of you, you can’t fix every problem in one draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Whether or not this rookie class is bad is of course an opinion. It’s about projection and value. When evaluating the talent, it appears that this class lacks elite top end WRs. And that’s exactly what the Bills are missing. They have a bunch of WR2s and WR3s. Why after you have evaluated the talent would you reach and draft someone that you already have on your roster with less talent when there is a starting RT and other players you have a higher grade on? Because it’s something you think they need more and should prioritize? 

Do you know where the majority of WR1s are drafted? I’ll give you a hint it’s not between picks 25 and 67.

No one says just wait til next year, maybe with a QB. You draft what’s in front of you, you can’t fix every problem in one draft. 

Definitely some good points here.  Where I would disagree is your statement that most WR1's are picked higher than 25.  I can think of a ton who weren't: just off the top of my head, DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, Adam Thielen, Tyler Lockett, JuJu...all taken after pick 25.   

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Definitely some good points here.  Where I would disagree is your statement that most WR1's are picked higher than 25.  I can think of a ton who weren't: just off the top of my head, DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, Adam Thielen, Tyler Lockett, JuJu...all taken after pick 25.   

I think you are picking nits here. Hopkins was picked 27th in the first round. Are Thielen, Lockett and Smith-Schustsr really WR1s?! I’ll give you Brown and Thomas. Hill was picked where he was because of the trouble he’s in now, not talent. He’s about to be out of the NFL because of it.

Let’s see off the top of my head... Jones, Beckham, Evans, Agholor, Cooper, Cooks, Fitzgerald...

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think you are picking nits here. Hopkins was picked 27th in the first round. Are Thielen, Lockett and Smith-Schustsr really WR1s?! I’ll give you Brown and Thomas. Hill was picked where he was because of the trouble he’s in now, not talent. He’s about to be out of the NFL because of it.

Let’s see off the top of my head... Jones, Beckham, Evans, Agholor, Cooper, Cooks, Fitzgerald...

You forgot AJ Green!?

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It was only off the top of my head haha

Its funny that I forgot him because I wanted the Bills to draft him ?

That’s ok.  I forgot TY Hilton—came off the board shortly after TJ Graham, and some other guy.?

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

There hasn't been an offseason in recent memory that was as primed for adding WRs as the 2020 offseason

Any chance that NO is going to let Michael Thomas walk?

I'd say it depends a lot on their QB situation.

Brees and Bridgewater are FAs.  Will they sign Brees again at 41?

If you're Thomas do you stay with a Bridgewater?  Maybe they tag him?

This could be NOs last hurrah.

Sean Payton is under contract until 2021.

8 hours ago, mannc said:

Totally agree, especially when you consider that it can take time for QB's and WR's to learn each others nuances, tendencies etc. Allen and Foster worked together tirelessly to try to get this right and it payed off. But as effective as Foster was at the end of the year, they still probably don't have everything down.

In a perfect world, Ford would have made it to 40 and we would have traded back into the 2nd to take a Parris Campbell, for instance.

Not particularly happy with the next year scenario when it comes to potential #1 receiver.

Foster showed potential to be a #1 WR. Other than Allen he is the biggest wildcard this year. I don't want to compare him to Tyreek Hill but that style has proven to be capable of producing like a #1. If he gets more consistent catching the ball WR won't even be a need next year.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:02 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Alright, ya got me. :thumbsup:

I mean jesus christ dude.......WTF.......google.......use it.:doh:

Gettle-Beane drafts a QB and no WR's in 2018..........then the team has an astonishingly inept passing offense in 2018...........and he doesn't draft one again. :lol:

On the plus side.........no reason Josh Allen can't lead the league in rushing now that he can run behind an OL consisting of 4 quality guards and a center.:thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I mean jesus christ dude.......WTF.......google.......use it.:doh:

Gettle-Beane drafts a QB and no WR's in 2018..........then the team has an astonishingly inept passing offense in 2018...........and he doesn't draft one again. :lol:

On the plus side.........no reason Josh Allen can't lead the league in rushing now that he can run behind an OL consisting of 4 quality guards and a center.:thumbsup:

The discussion is much more fun! :nana:

And while I conceded the point, Im still not overly impressed with the list provided. Outside of maybe what the Cards did, but jsut because they went so all-in at the position. We'll see if any of them pan out from such a weak WR class.

Reminds me a lot of the 2008 draft. We were clamoring for a WR and there were a bunch coming out, but zero went in the 1st round and most of the guys picked in the 2nd didnt amount to much, even though we had high hopes for Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas, Jerome Simpson, Malcolm Kelly, Early Doucet, and even our own pick James Hardy. Jordy Nelson and DeSean Jackson were the only guys to come out of that group of 10 WRs to go in the 2nd and the ultimately 35 total picked in the entire draft.

14 hours ago, the skycap said:

My question is next year's WR class better than this year's?  Better yet, who in next year's draft do you want to see the Bills acquire at WR? I, for one, wanted the Bills to draft DK Metcalf/Hakeem Butler. Who's next year's version of DK Metcalf/Hakeem Butler?

That is the current belief, yes. Next years class is much better. The names leading the pack right now are CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, and Laviska Shenault, with a few others close behind.

Edited by DrDawkinstein