Bills dont draft a WR

On 4/28/2019 at 3:22 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i hope so. This is my boy right here.

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Colorado_logo.gif

Colorado_logo.gif Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado 
Height: 6-2. Weight: 220. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.52. 
Projected Round (2020): 1-3. 

2/8/19: Shenault was one of the top wide receivers in 2018, totaling 86 receptions for 1,011 yards with six touchdowns. The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder is the No. 1 receiver for Steven Montez and has made the Buffaloes quarterback look good at times.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php#ixzz5mN9M6EPe

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php#qJWptlSzoKgXIiFt.99

I love you, BB, but if you really take Walter Cherepinsky seriously...

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019WR.php

Walter Cherepinsky...

4AD49C54-FFCE-4C17-9686-B56229C85ACE.png

29 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

As am I, but that seems to be an unpopular position around these parts.

Not really, I share the same opinion. I just don’t think the talent was there in the draft this year. I think they would have come out at best with a WR2. 

The past 2 draft classes haven’t yielded a 1000 yard receiver in their rookie years, so it’s also unlikely they would have been much help to Josh this year.

Ive wanted the Bills to trade for that talent, it was the only way it was going to happen. Tried with AB and my guess was the price was too high for OBJ. 

2 hours ago, XABI64 said:

I mean the front office is banking on their current WR's to take the next step, the free agent starting caliber wide receivers they brought in free agency,  and for Allen to really improve his game next season

if both of those things don't happen they could lose their jobs in the next 2 years 

Fixed it for you

58 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I've wanted the Bills to trade for that talent, it was the only way it was going to happen. 

There's still time to do that as teams move on from the draft and lay out their plans for the season.   

I expect Beane to stay aggressive and work the phones and waiver wire in the weeks ahead.   He's not sugar coating his desire to improve the WR group--and the draft was only one way to accomplish that....  

On 4/27/2019 at 6:47 PM, JustWinPlease said:

I just find it weird that every other team drafts a young WR to go with their young QB, so they can grow together.

I guess Allen has that with Foster, but he doesn't strike me as having a #1 WR ceiling.

Meh.  Passing game is way over-rated in today's NFL.

It's all about run and stop the run.  And we got a heck of a good DT.

Who needs receivers anyway?

;)

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Senator said:

I love you, BB, but if you really take Walter Cherepinsky seriously...

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019WR.php

Walter Cherepinsky...

4AD49C54-FFCE-4C17-9686-B56229C85ACE.png

its not Walter, i was just looking for next years rankings.

Shenault is insanely talented but wasnt eligible this year. If he performs well next season he will be at the top of the list.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Shenault is insanely talented but wasnt eligible this year. If he performs well next season he will be at the top of the list.

Fair enough. I understand. Just pointing out that D.K. Metcalf was #1 on Cherepinsky’s list, ahead of 5 others WRs that were picked before Metcalf.

• Like (+1) 1

While I'm over here drooling over the 2020 draft WR crop, has anyone else looked at the list of WRs that are scheduled to be UFAs in 2020?

Oh. My. Word.

AJ Green

Amari Cooper

Julian Edelman

Robby Anderson

Josh Gordon

Michael Thomas

Tyler Boyd

(and Tyreek Hill, but I have a feeling nobody is going to want to touch him, especially McDermott and Co.)

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

As am I, but that seems to be an unpopular position around these parts.

It's more popular than you think. People just don't want to take the EJ approach to WR and pass up top talent at premium positions for the sake of taking a mediocre WR to say you did.

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

While I'm over here drooling over the 2020 draft WR crop, has anyone else looked at the list of WRs that are scheduled to be UFAs in 2020?

Oh. My. Word.

AJ Green

Amari Cooper

Julian Edelman

Robby Anderson

Josh Gordon

Michael Thomas

Tyler Boyd

(and Tyreek Hill, but I have a feeling nobody is going to want to touch him, especially McDermott and Co.)

Tyreek Hill is not going to be playing football in the NFL for a long while, imo. The broader point really is that next yr has the bonanza of wr talent available in free agency and the draft. Folks can complain all they want about not getting an alpha WR this yr, but the talent pool dictated otherwise. Meanwhile, the Bills had arguably a spectacular off-season, basically rebuilding the o-line from almost scratch and adding quality depth throughout the roster. Edge and WR remain areas that need improvement. Allen has enough this yr to work with. If he makes a leap this yr, we will provide all the extras next year. Could be a fun ride if things work out and it's not irrational to think they might.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Tyreek Hill is not going to be playing football in the NFL for a long while, imo. The broader point really is that next yr has the bonanza of wr talent available in free agency and the draft. Folks can complain all they want about not getting an alpha WR this yr, but the talent pool dictated otherwise. Meanwhile, the Bills had arguably a spectacular off-season, basically rebuilding the o-line from almost scratch and adding quality depth throughout the roster. Edge and WR remain areas that need improvement. Allen has enough this yr to work with. If he makes a leap this yr, we will provide all the extras next year. Could be a fun ride if things work out and it's not irrational to think they might.

I agree that there's enough skill-specific volume in the WR group to allow Allen to develop significantly in year 2.  I don't think (and I'm assuming that you don't either) that there's enough wow-type talent to put him in the top-tier unless he really unlocks every ounce of his potential, but yeah, next year is a really, really good opportunity to add a legit WR1 (hopefully more than one). How much would you love to sign J. Clowney and Michael Thomas in free agency and then draft Henry Ruggs?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

FWIW, he’s being mocked to the Bills already. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think they're banking more on the idea that their hand-picked QB can raise the level of play of a rather mediocre group of WRs, each of whom have a single thing that they do pretty well.

And that's not necessarily wrong per se, but I'm a much bigger fan of the Rams/Chiefs approach that says "stack the roster with ridiculously talented pass catchers and give my QB the best chance I can" 

I just think it was a lousy WR draft. Next year's is supposed to be akin to 1996 and 2014.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I just think it was a lousy WR draft. Next year's is supposed to be akin to 1996 and 2014.

There hasn't been an offseason in recent memory that was as primed for adding WRs as the 2020 offseason

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, he’s being mocked to the Bills already. 

Any chance that NO is going to let Michael Thomas walk?

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

36 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I agree that there's enough skill-specific volume in the WR group to allow Allen to develop significantly in year 2.  I don't think (and I'm assuming that you don't either) that there's enough wow-type talent to put him in the top-tier unless he really unlocks every ounce of his potential, but yeah, next year is a really, really good opportunity to add a legit WR1 (hopefully more than one). How much would you love to sign J. Clowney and Michael Thomas in free agency and then draft Henry Ruggs?

Good stuff, guys -- those free agents next year will want to join a team looking to win back-to-back SBs.

Edited by eball

The 2018 draft had 4-5 top tier QB’s. That is where we got our QB in Allen. Even moved up multiple times to do it.

2018 had a lot of top end talent in the 1st Round. We had two first round picks in the 2018 draft and got ourselves a defensive blue chipper as well in Edmunds.

2019 was a draft loaded with defensive talent, particularly in the defensive line/edger rusher  category. We got ourselves a player who is ahead of his time in Ed Oliver. If you look at where QB pressure is coming from in the NFL today, more and more of the elite pass rushers are working from the interior. Oliver fits that mold, specifically in our defense, perfectly. 

Now we didn't draft a receiver, but look at what happened after N’Keal Harry and Marquise Brown. 

Metcalf fell basically to the 3rd Round.

Butler to the 4th Round

Harmon to the 6th Round 

Sills went undrafted (and was signed by us)

2020 is said to be looking like a great class for receivers and running backs. Beane has us set up perfectly to give Allen a decent surrounding cast this year, see who fits and who doesn’t, and then go out next year in the draft and get him a high end #1 level target. 

• Like (+1) 1