Bills dont draft a WR

There was a reason why they got aggressive with FA WR signings without doing something stupid like trading for a prima donna, and over spending. I also feel that this years Offense will be considerably better without a drafted WR in the mix, so all is good and the rebuild is doing well IMO

Next year is a better draft for WR's. This years draft had strength in other positions. They took BPA and managed to fill some pretty big needs with players that fell to them.

The Bills are being built well... It will really come down to Josh Allen maturation at QB and not a drafted WR this year

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Chemical said:

People who complained about the lack of WR after last year’s draft and before the season were proven correct. We will see if they are right again. 

Completely different circumstances, though. Last year was the cap fix. We were deficient at just about every position. This year we paid a number of WR's in FA to come in and bolster the position, but the focus has been on fixing the oline.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Are you really trying to criticize people for caring about the Lines? The game is won and lost in the trenches.

If your line cant block, then your passer cant pass, your runners cant run, and your receivers cant get open downfield. The entire game starts in the trenches.

Show me a team with a good OL that didnt make the playoffs.

and a decent Oline makes JA even more dangerous when he sees an opportunity to keep it and rush for a first or td?

14 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Bills need a #1 WR, I don't think there was one of those in this draft so I'm fine with no WR.

Any WR that came in here was battling for the 5th spot.  The top 4 is set.  What's the point of drafting a 5th WR early?

Pretty much how I see it too

And OF COURSE I want the Bills to win NOW. But Beane and McD have a longer vision. There is a lot of cap room for 2020. If the current offense works great in 2019, and Allen emerges as a true star and Mr Cannon Arm Deep Passer, great wideouts will want to come here!

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Completely different circumstances, though. Last year was the cap fix. We were deficient at just about every position. This year we paid a number of WR's in FA to come in and bolster the position, but the focus has been on fixing the oline.

There were still people saying Benjamin was a borderline 1/2 WR and Zay could improve. A lot of ifs just like now. 

They signed two 30 year old WR and have one 1000 season between them. Other teams with much better wr corps drafted multiple receivers to go with their young qb. Cards drafted one last year and butler and Isabella this year.

I say we will be making the WR excuse for Allen again after this season. You disagree I’m guessing. Your camp was wrong last year. We will see about this year. 

22 minutes ago, McBean said:

I’ll admit, I’m a little upset we didn’t get Josh 

Allen more weapons at the WR position

As others have noted, there really werent any high-powered weapons available in this draft. We're talking about guys that would compete for the 4th/5th WR spot, not the #1 spot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Chemical said:

There were still people saying Benjamin was a borderline 1/2 WR and Zay could improve. A lot of ifs just like now. 

They signed two 30 year old WR and have one 1000 season between them. Other teams with much better wr corps drafted multiple receivers to go with their young qb. Cards drafted one last year and butler and Isabella this year.

I say we will be making the WR excuse for Allen again after this season. You disagree I’m guessing. Your camp was wrong last year. We will see about this year. 

We allocated more resources to fixing the OL.  The cards allocated them to WR.  I’d prefer to make sure our OL is fixed as opposed to WR.  Next years WR class is stacked,  this year, there weren’t any WRs worth a top 20 pick.  The broken neck guy that had a cult following was drafted at the end of rd 2 and bypassed by basically the entire league.  We have solid, yet unspectacular WRs, meanwhile our OL is completely revamped with a chance that we don’t have one returning starter at any position (if Dawkins ends up at guard or just gets beat out).  

I get why folks here wanted to add a top available option at WR this offseason.  We tried to land Brown.  Didn’t work out (luckily imo).  We missed on obj.  I’m ok with that too.  Who else are we so upset about missing out on? Tyrell Williams?  Donte moncrief?  Golden Tate? Just more #2 and 3 WRs.  We weren’t taking any of these QBs in rd 1 over Oliver.  We took the BPA in rd 2 that just so happens to be versatile enough to play tackle or guard,  should we have taken a broken neck wr instead?  

Our Rbs are ancient,  Singletary is the most elusive RB in the draft and proven TD machine.  Was it a bigger need than WR some argue?  Maybe for this season, but Singletary could be our starting rb for the next several years.  He’s dam good.  

We could have the worst TEs in the league and trade up for a guy that many view as having significant upside.  Problem?

Vosean Joseph could end up being the best pick of the draft.  He fills a huge need and has remarkable upside.  

Jaquan Johnson is where I could have seen us taking a WR.  I don’t love this pick, but I do love the player.  Emotional leader and hits hard.  Probably a PS player imo.  I would’ve liked us to draft Kelvin Harmon.  

7th rd picks, meh.  Which 7th rd wr was going to turn our WR unit around?  David Sills? Nick Easley?  We got them.

• Like (+1) 3

It wasnt flashy but Buffalo had a solid draft in my mind.  They seemed to solidify both lines with Oliver and Ford.  After that who do they pick?  The undrafted guy from WV Sills is about the same as any of the guys drafted in rd 3 and on.

45 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We allocated more resources to fixing the OL.  The cards allocated them to WR.  I’d prefer to make sure our OL is fixed as opposed to WR.  Next years WR class is stacked,  this year, there weren’t any WRs worth a top 20 pick.  The broken neck guy that had a cult following was drafted at the end of rd 2 and bypassed by basically the entire league.  We have solid, yet unspectacular WRs, meanwhile our OL is completely revamped with a chance that we don’t have one returning starter at any position (if Dawkins ends up at guard or just gets beat out).  

I get why folks here wanted to add a top available option at WR this offseason.  We tried to land Brown.  Didn’t work out (luckily imo).  We missed on obj.  I’m ok with that too.  Who else are we so upset about missing out on? Tyrell Williams?  Donte moncrief?  Golden Tate? Just more #2 and 3 WRs.  We weren’t taking any of these QBs in rd 1 over Oliver.  We took the BPA in rd 2 that just so happens to be versatile enough to play tackle or guard,  should we have taken a broken neck wr instead?  

Our Rbs are ancient,  Singletary is the most elusive RB in the draft and proven TD machine.  Was it a bigger need than WR some argue?  Maybe for this season, but Singletary could be our starting rb for the next several years.  He’s dam good.  

We could have the worst TEs in the league and trade up for a guy that many view as having significant upside.  Problem?

Vosean Joseph could end up being the best pick of the draft.  He fills a huge need and has remarkable upside.  

Jaquan Johnson is where I could have seen us taking a WR.  I don’t love this pick, but I do love the player.  Emotional leader and hits hard.  Probably a PS player imo.  I would’ve liked us to draft Kelvin Harmon.  

7th rd picks, meh.  Which 7th rd wr was going to turn our WR unit around?  David Sills? Nick Easley?  We got them.

Good Post - It’s no secret I wanted and expected a WR in first three picks.  However, I more wanted and expected the Bills to stay true to their board and I love our draft.  

You cant fix or upgrade every position in one draft. Beane got studs for both trenches, and RB not easy to tackle, and a very exciting TE prospect in this first 3 rounds.  

No complaints for me, especially since my main goal was getting Josh help, and all 3 of those guys will help Josh.  Ford on the line, Singletary as young legs in an old backfield, and Knox as a potential weapon.  

Plus, the WR I really wanted in that 4th to 7th round range was David Sills V and we got him as an UDFA which is even better.  The kid is as good of a prospect as anyone taken between rounds 3 and 7 and we got him for nothing!  

Beane is the man and a witch!  Love it!!!!

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This season will be a “show me” year for a number of receivers on our team: Zay, Foster, Brown, Duke. 

If they can’t take the next step, we’ll be conveniently walking into a deep WR class in 2020.  I think Beane played it perfectly by recognizing this draft wasn’t laced with all around guys who can separate and mitigated that by getting some guys in FA and giving one year for other guys to prove something. 

If it doesn’t work out, great - we’ll be using a first rounder on a Jeudy, ceedee Lamb, tee Higgins, laviska shenault next year. 

I trust the process. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Who did the Browns, Jets, Cards/Dolphins, Ravens draft to go with the rest of the QBs from last year?

The Browns had already acquired Jarvis Landry, the Cards had Fitz but drafted 3 WRs this weekend, the Phins had Stills and Parker, the Ravens had John Brown and acquired Crabtree in free agency.

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lets see how many of the wide receivers are good in the NFL. Easy to dismiss them all right now for Bills fans, but before the draft it was considered one of the deepest WR classes ever. 

My problem with RB in the third is first of all he’s second/third string this upcoming season with McCoy and Gore. You can say they’re looking to the future, ok fine but what about taking a RB next year when those guys are gone?

Dip your toe in the deepest wr class in years and if you hit on a #1 WR it’s much more valuable than if you hit on a RB. The WR can be bust but so can the RB. Y’all act like there’s no chance of that happening. 

Edited by Chemical

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I can't wait to bump this thread around week 4.

We have a 2nd year QB with a C+ receiving corps. 

Thats a pretty narrow look at the situation.  

We have a borderline elite Defense, and on Offense - a strong stable of RBs, a legit OL and 2 solid Tight Ends.  So, sure, maybe our WRs are C+ heading into the season but there’s also potential there given the youth of Foster and Jones. 

Maybe we run more 2-TE sets with Kroft and Knox, and run the ball down people’s throats with our new OL and Shady/Gore/Singletary/Yeldon.  

If teams have to stop the run, I trust Allen to find tight ends up the seam and Foster/Brown over the top. 

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The Browns had already acquired Jarvis Landry, the Cards had Fitz but drafted 3 WRs this weekend, the Phins had Stills and Parker, the Ravens had John Brown and acquired Crabtree in free agency.

Okay, we now have John Brown and acquired Beasley in free agency. I wanted DK, but it's not an automatic fail situation.

47 minutes ago, McBean said:

I’ll admit, I’m a little upset we didn’t get Josh 

Allen more weapons at the WR position

Who would they have drafted in round 2-7 that would of beaten out Brown or Foster?  I don’t think any of them would have.  I’m glad they didn’t take one just for the sake of taking one.  They invested in Brown and Beasley and probably are very excited for what Foster showed them in the second half of last season.  Allen seemed to have a good rapport with Foster.