RD 7, Pick 228: TE Tommy Sweeney, Boston College

On 4/28/2019 at 8:08 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

This goes back to that old Sammy Watkins debate, but the cost of the trade was their second fourth. They traded from 112 to 96. The right to move up that many spots cost them 131, which is nothing. And they jumped the Patriots to grab him.

Still amazes me how hard it is for people to grasp the actual "cost" to trade up.  Nicely worded :)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Still amazes me how hard it is for people to grasp the actual "cost" to trade up.  Nicely worded :)

Even before Sammy I had a debate with someone here once about JP Losman being three first round picks....... the two that we spent to get him and the one that we gave up in 2005. I tried, gallantly to explain that one of the two we used to get him was the one from 2005..... but it wasn't computing. I can't remember who the poster was and I think they have left the forum now to be honest but it went on for about 3 hours. He wasn't having that it was two first round picks. He was insistent it was 3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

First Bills 2 TE draft in a long time.

Bobby Collins and wasn’t the other the nail polish wearing Sheldon Jackson, anyone remember? 

Thats about all I remember about Jackson. Bobby Collins looked like a footballer...

So as sad as my memory for Bills, these TE’s are Dawson Creek and Sweeney Tom.

No doubt that Buffalo does not have a great history of drafting or acquiring TEs. 

We had Ernie Warlick in the championship mid 60’s teams, he was very good.  We also had Paul Costa who we converted to OT.  

The 70’s an md 80’s did not yield much.  We drafted Rueben Gantt in round 1 and he was very slow to develop.   Paul Seymour was converted to OT and was very good. 

We had had few good TEs that got injured such as Mark Brammer and Keith McKeller (early SB years), Tony Cline (mid 80’s) and Kevin Everett.   Pete Metzellars was a reliable receiver and a great blocker, we did not draft him. 

Charles Clay was ok for awhile but not worth the  big contract.  Jay Riemersma ok.  

Lonnie Johnson meh ...  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

No doubt that Buffalo does not have a great history of drafting or acquiring TEs. 

We had Ernie Warlick in the championship mid 60’s teams, he was very good.  We also had Paul Costa who we converted to OT.  

The 70’s an md 80’s did not yield much.  We drafted Rueben Gantt in round 1 and he was very slow to develop.   Paul Seymour was converted to OT and was very good. 

We had had few good TEs that got injured such as Mark Brammer and Keith McKeller (early SB years), Tony Cline (mid 80’s) and Kevin Everett.   Pete Metzellars was a reliable receiver and a great blocker, we did not draft him. 

Charles Clay was ok for awhile but not worth the  big contract.  Jay Riemersma ok.  

Lonnie Johnson meh ...  

Mid-90's.  And he sucked.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:29 AM, GunnerBill said:

Even before Sammy I had a debate with someone here once about JP Losman being three first round picks....... the two that we spent to get him and the one that we gave up in 2005. I tried, gallantly to explain that one of the two we used to get him was the one from 2005..... but it wasn't computing. I can't remember who the poster was and I think they have left the forum now to be honest but it went on for about 3 hours. He wasn't having that it was two first round picks. He was insistent it was 3.

The only thing I remember about the first round of that draft was that we had one first rounder which we drafted Lee Evans with and then we gave up our 2005 first rounder to move back up into the first round to get Losman. So we only we only gave up one first for him which would have been the 2005 first. If I remember correctly

32 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The only thing I remember about the first round of that draft was that we had one first rounder which we drafted Lee Evans with and then we gave up our 2005 first rounder to move back up into the first round to get Losman. So we only we only gave up one first for him which would have been the 2005 first. If I remember correctly

Yes sorry you are right I am remembering. I was saying it was one he was saying it was two. 

I was remembering us as having traded up in the first but we didn't did we, we traded back in. 

• SDS unpinned this topic