RD 7, Pick 225: OLB/EDGE Darryl Johnson, N. Carolina A&T

Another FULLBACK?!!

We need pass rushers. Didn't happen early in the draft. Either they didn't view it as a top priority or BPA never met pick. He's got some upside and there is certainly an opportunity for an "edge" to unseat either Shaq or Murphy. 

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Another FULLBACK?!!

We need pass rushers. Didn't happen early in the draft. Either they didn't view it as a top priority or BPA never met pick. He's got some upside and there is certainly an opportunity for an "edge" to unseat either Shaq or Murphy. 

Fullback?

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Fullback?

Moose! Simple joke.

I will say that I trust Beane with these late round D picks more than I do their offensive picks. He's certainly got a shot if he can play. Outside of Hughes, our ends can easily be pushed out of a job for the right youngin.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

I like his height.  Obviously not super fast or explosive off the edge and a lower level of competition.  It will be interesting to see if he can develop some explosion and speed with NFL strength and conditioning training.  It's safe to think he didn't have world class strength and conditioning work in college.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just waiting for someone to come along and say the Bills messed the pick up because they didn't take Anthony Johnson, then claim to know a bunch about this Darryl Johnson kid and how he stinks. Any time now...

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

I would bet money we had Nauta targeted on this pick, but the Lions stole him from us.

Then you didn’t see the NFL network clips of Nauta. Dude looked slow and disengaged early on both blocks they showed..

Just now, Locomark said:

Then you didn’t see the NFL network clips of Nauta. Dude looked slow and disengaged early on both blocks they showed..

Nauta visited with us pre-draft. Beane liked him that much, it's not about how I feel about the player, but hey, it's just a guess.

33. DARRYL JOHNSON JR. | North Carolina A&T 6060 | 253 lbs. | rJR. Kingsland, Ga. (Camden) 4/4/1997 (age 22.07) #40

BACKGROUND: A no-star recruit out of high school, Darryl Johnson Jr. played basketball and football at Camden County, lining up at defensive end and tight end. At only 205 pounds, he wasn’t highly recruited, with a few Division-II programs offering partial scholarships. Georgia Southern, where Johnson’s father (Darryl Sr.) played running back, offered him a preferred walk-on opportunity. FCS-level North Carolina A&T swooped in and made him a late addition to their 2015 recruiting class. Johnson elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2019 NFL Draft. YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES 2015: Redshirted 2016: (12/0) 26 6.5 2.0 0 0 0 2017: (12/11) 40 15.5 6.5 4 0 0 First Team All-MEAC 2018: (12/11) 50 19.0 10.5 1 3 0 MEAC Defensive Player of the Year; First Team All-MEAC Total: (36/22) 116 41.0 19.0 5 3 0 HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP

COMBINE 6060 253 33 7/8 10 77 7/8 - - - - - - - 20 (no run, jumps or shuttle – hamstring) PRO DAY 4.80 2.78 1.65 32 1/2 09’04” 4.56 6.97 - (stood on Combine bench)

STRENGTHS: Flexible athlete who can bend, dip and corner…loose-jointed movement skills, allowing him to cleanly redirect in space…moves well laterally to sidestep blockers and regain his momentum…skilled at making himself skinny through gaps…owns long arms and large hands…looks comfortable standing up and covering tight ends…puts in the “extra time and effort,” according to his coaches…excellent backfield production with 41.0 tackles for loss over 36 games played.

WEAKNESSES: Lean-limbed frame and lacks ideal body armor…doesn’t have the shed strength to detach once blockers engulf him…sets a soft edge…physical defenders are able to jostle him mid-rush, easily slowing his arc momentum…below-average contact balance, not powering his way through the outside shoulder of blockers…predictable rush with little diversity to his attack plan…ends up on the ground too much…had a tough time when matched vs. better competition.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at North Carolina A&T, Johnson was the field defensive end in the Aggies’ multiple front, leading the MEAC in sacks and tackles for loss in 2018. The past two MEAC defensive players of the year both landed in the top-100 draft picks (Javon Hargrave, Darius Leonard) and Johnson is attempting to make it three in a row. He has a straight-forward pass rush plan: upfield quickness, bend and turn, which worked often vs. FCS-level competition, but it won’t be quite that easy in the NFL, struggling vs. the FBS competition (East Carolina) on the schedule. He doesn’t consistently create his own pass rush lanes and his rush stalls quickly once blockers are able to get their hands on him. Overall, Johnson is a rangy athlete with his long, flexible strides, but his lack of power and balance are obvious, projecting best to a stand-up rush linebacker role in the NFL where he can use space to his advantage.

GRADE: 7th Round

I’m old. (as if that needs repeating) But I remember 17 Rounds of the Draft. Before that was in the high 20’s. I used to think 7 Rounds was no where near enough to capture the market. Granted, UDFAs make most teams every year, but the dearth of talent left after 7 rounds now clearly explain the reasoning. 

So how did Tom Sestak last to the 17th Round??

• Like (+1) 2