RD 7, Pick 225: OLB/EDGE Darryl Johnson, N. Carolina A&T

23 hours ago, hemma said:

Lock him in the weight room with 300 lbs of spam and peanut butter.

I'm not sure about that tactic, but he does need to hit the weights hard and stick to a 5000 calorie diet for a while.  I wish I needed to do that.  I could be a grand champion at eating. I like things that are good for me  My only problem is, I like them too much.  I doubt Johnson makes a huge contribution this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he came back next season at about 270.

25 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What is a projectable frame?

He is long, tall, long arms etc, but he hasn't lifted a ton of weights. You can kind of see that if he adds like 20 lbs of muscle he will gave an NFL body. Right now, he doesn't, and Beane said as much in his presser. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He is long, tall, long arms etc, but he hasn't lifted a ton of weights. You can kind of see that if he adds like 20 lbs of muscle he will gave an NFL body. Right now, he doesn't, and Beane said as much in his presser. 

There is unfortunately ample opportunity for even Darryl Johnson to make the final 53 in the Bills DE rotation the way it stands now.

Hughes is the only stud and the only relative "lock" to be more than a 50% snap player.

Shaq and Murphy are next and not pillars of durability.

Then there are Eli Harold, Eddie Yarbrough and Mike Love and Johnson.  

One injury and TWO of those last 4 end up in the rotation.

Ezekiel Ansah is more likely at the end of his productive years than he is to return to them........but it would be re-assuring to have him in the mix.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So, projectable means that he can add muscle?

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, projectable means that he can add muscle?

That's how I always understood it. And that he doe t have a body for NFL now but he hasn't a good enough frame where he get add some size to it. Add muscle like you said. 

On 4/27/2019 at 2:45 PM, Chandler#81 said:

I’m old. (as if that needs repeating) But I remember 17 Rounds of the Draft. Before that was in the high 20’s. I used to think 7 Rounds was no where near enough to capture the market. Granted, UDFAs make most teams every year, but the dearth of talent left after 7 rounds now clearly explain the reasoning. 

So how did Tom Sestak last to the 17th Round??

Sestak was a 17th round pick in the 1962 AFL Draft.  There were only 8 teams then.

Bart Starr was a 17th round pick in the 1956 NFL Draft, but there were only 12 teams back then.  That would be about a 6th round pick now.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Why would a kid like this declare early?  

I heard a crazy stat on Sirius that like a third of kids who come out early don’t even get drafted. I wish I could remember the details, but it was shocking. More than I expected, but as we know some kids aren’t really made for loving college. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I heard a crazy stat on Sirius that like a third of kids who come out early don’t even get drafted. I wish I could remember the details, but it was shocking. More than I expected, but as we know some kids aren’t really made for loving college. 

I think a lot of them have degrees already. They are just early in the sense they could play another year. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah but one year from finishing. Not to mention another year of play probably helps this type of kid with his NFL dream. 

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

...sadly Augie, I'd bet in some cases the money is primary and the degree is secondary if even that.....the pomp, glitz & glitter of collegiate ball which puts butts in the seats, keeps mega boosters happy happy and leads to mega millions in bowl games trumps the athlete's training for true life skills...graduate with a degree on two sheets of Charmin', and if you're lucky enough to sign any type of NFL contract, best you can do is an "X"......NCAA version of a puppy mill...sad stuff......

• SDS unpinned this topic