Cap Space

Hebert19

18 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

According to over the cap we still have 30M in space right now.  We could use another WR, DE and maybe CB.  

Not to jump ahead but did we not add a DE because Ziggy is still in play.  We have the cap room.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Whats the difference between cap and effective cap? I see our numbers match which I think is probably a good thing.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Like someone said. 

30 - 10 for rookies and 10 for “emergency spending / rollover leaves 10 in cap space.  

If the Bill extend anyone it will tap into that 10.  

It's right around$26.8 when the rookies sign. The top 4 will count against the cap

18 hours ago, d_wag said:

Who are you binning off to make room for Ansah? Hughes, murphy, shaq, and now harold are your 4. Yarborough is unlikely to make it. Did we sign Harold just to cut him? Nah. I think they moved on from Ansah. 

Also think we have our 5 at CB and no one worth a damn out there at WR. 

I agree. 

There have been so many changes with the team this year, at this point I'm good to go into mini-camp and training camp with what they have. A lot of competition and hopefully a lot of improvement already over last year. I want to see how the current roster shakes out.

7 hours ago, d_wag said:

I don’t think they love him so no point turning this in to a strawman. I simply think they didn’t sign him just to cut him. Signing free agents just to cut them in camp is not a way good teams run things. If they were to add Ansah it is clear he would have to go. 

Signing cheap insurance policies to flexible contracts you can get out of with only 90k dead money is very much how good teams operate. That’s less than a half of a tenth of 1% of our cap. 

Its akin to the effect on your annual budget of deciding to grab a dozen eggs at the store when you aren’t positive if you are out. Even if you don’t use a couple it’s not the end of the world and better than running out for pennies risked.

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Whats the difference between cap and effective cap? I see our numbers match which I think is probably a good thing.

Did you notice they all match? Looks like they define effective cap as the max remaining if carrying a full roster (so for future years a team with 21 players signed doesn’t appear to be sooooo far ahead of the cap because it factors in another 30 league minimum placeholders but in 2019 every team already has 51 guys calculated in)

Edited by NoSaint

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Like someone said. 

30 - 10 for rookies and 10 for “emergency spending / rollover leaves 10 in cap space.  

If the Bill extend anyone it will tap into that 10.  

The brush you’ve painted with is so broad that it actually hindered people from understanding the cap situation if they take you at the surface 

11 hours ago, d_wag said:

It’s not about what I think of Harold, it’s what the bills think of him, and I don’t think they signed him just to cut him in camp. I appreciate they have the cap flexability to get out of any deal but that surely would be a waste when unspent dollars can just be rolled over. I don’t see a roster spot available for Ansah, barring injury in that group.

I absolutely see it.  If he is better than the guys we have and we can get him at the right price then you grab him.  Beane would say something similar but would likely say something that includes "if it makes sense".  

I seem to recall hearing something about Anzah possibly being signed by us after the draft.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The brush you’ve painted with is so broad that it actually hindered people from understanding the cap situation if they take you at the surface 

That may be true but it is not outlandish.  

Teams try to have a reserve for emergencies.   

I’m not a capologist but from what I’ve seen recently I don’t expect any changes in their methodology.  

25 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Signing cheap insurance policies to flexible contracts you can get out of with only 90k dead money is very much how good teams operate. That’s less than a half of a tenth of 1% of our cap. 

Its akin to the effect on your annual budget of deciding to grab a dozen eggs at the store when you aren’t positive if you are out. Even if you don’t use a couple it’s not the end of the world and better than running out for pennies risked.

Did you notice they all match? Looks like they define effective cap as the max remaining if carrying a full roster (so for future years a team with 21 players signed doesn’t appear to be sooooo far ahead of the cap because it factors in another 30 league minimum placeholders but in 2019 every team already has 51 guys calculated in)

Oh that makes sense! No I didn’t notice my bad. Thanks for explaining the cap rules are very confusing.

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Oh that makes sense! No I didn’t notice my bad. Thanks for explaining the cap rules are very confusing.

No worries! And that ones not even a cap rule, it’s just a metric that website uses to give a clearer picture. I hadn’t noticed it before but makes some sense for quick references

19 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That may be true but it is not outlandish.  

Teams try to have a reserve for emergencies.   

I’m not a capologist but from what I’ve seen recently I don’t expect any changes in their methodology.  

You widely misstated the cap needed for the rookie class, ignored that often extensions keep flat or even can lower this years hit for a player as they want signing bonuses and those amortize and then picked a relatively arbitrary number for emergency funds. 

Basically you rounded everything up drastically and made it look like we are substantially tighter then we really are. We have incredible flexibility based on a huge amount of space left. We are nowhere near a situation where we going to run up to the cap with extending a guy or two.

• 4 weeks later...