Cap Space

Hebert19

Couple points:

1.) Beane's post draft presser briefly discussed Ziggy, and sounds like they are staying in touch with the agent.  Perhaps now that the draft is finished, we will see a team (hopefully us) move forward with signing him

2.) I think it is safe to say we are staying pat at CB.  With Johnson and Gaines signed, and Taron coming back from injury, I think we'll be ok.  Post draft presser made it sound like McDermott likes the corner out of UB, possibly for competition at nickle

Be nice if we could get a #1 WR, but I think that's out of the cards until 2020.  They took a swing with AB.  Just hope Beasley and Brown can stay healthy, b/c I think they have a serviceable group, just nothing spectacular.

7 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Let it roll any carry over to next year.

Then we can have another FA run next year, and stagger the contracts so everybody isn't due at the same time.

Not saying we can't sign anyone else right now, but let's not allow it to burn holes in our collective pocket.

Might be able to take care of Jerry before the season and give him his bonus this year provided there are no other big signings...

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

A couple of things. We will probably see a bunch of guys realeased in the next few days so that teams can add their draft classes and UDFAs to their 90 man rosters. That said, even now Ansah isn't the only guy around. 

Shane Ray, Nick Perry, Sam Acho, Josh Martin, Andre Branch are all names still out there. Personally, I'd take a shot on Shane Ray. But I would really wait to see what shakes free before signing Ansah. 

Can he play a 4-3 DE. 

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

A couple of things. We will probably see a bunch of guys realeased in the next few days so that teams can add their draft classes and UDFAs to their 90 man rosters. That said, even now Ansah isn't the only guy around. 

Shane Ray, Nick Perry, Sam Acho, Josh Martin, Andre Branch are all names still out there. Personally, I'd take a shot on Shane Ray. But I would really wait to see what shakes free before signing Ansah. 

I'd consider Kyle Rudolph/Clowney hunting.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Can he play a 4-3 DE. 

Ray was a RDE as Missouri and that is probably his best position. He is best with his hand in the ground and imo, he was was miscast in Denver's scheme. He's only 25 years old. While he only weights 245 lbs, his arms are long enough and he is very strong. He's about the same size as Eli Harold and I think he still has upside. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Fans are hungry... Who we cutting trying to add receivers and ends?? This is a tough team to crack now. Not sure what I’m missing but the squad looks pretty impressive to me.

You cut whoever is worst. We can definitely use some high end talent at both positions, but I doubt that happens this off season. We need elites, not more depth.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ray was a RDE as Missouri and that is probably his best position. He is best with his hand in the ground and imo, he was was miscast in Denver's scheme. He's only 25 years old. While he only weights 245 lbs, his arms are long enough and he is very strong. He's about the same size as Eli Harold and I think he still has upside. 

Living out in Donkeyland I only seen him as OLB.  He does look light.

Didn't know about Missouri.

Thanks

Like you said though, still lot's of DE options and that's why I think Beane let it go in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

You realize you’re talking about Eli Harold right?  The same Eli Harold that........I forgot.  The Eli Harold that hasn’t done anything other than being touted out of college

It’s not about what I think of Harold, it’s what the bills think of him, and I don’t think they signed him just to cut him in camp. I appreciate they have the cap flexability to get out of any deal but that surely would be a waste when unspent dollars can just be rolled over. I don’t see a roster spot available for Ansah, barring injury in that group.

4 minutes ago, d_wag said:

It’s not about what I think of Harold, it’s what the bills think of him, and I don’t think they signed him just to cut him in camp. I appreciate they have the cap flexability to get out of any deal but that surely would be a waste when unspent dollars can just be rolled over. I don’t see a roster spot available for Ansah, barring injury in that group.

We know what they think of him

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eli-harold-16803/

they think he’s worth 895k with 90k guaranteed.  They think that he can compete with Yarbrough for our 4th DE. If you look at our OL, you’d realize they they aren’t afraid to add more competition to positions that need help.  If you think they they won’t be signing any DE’s because they love Eli Harold, you should think again

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

We know what they think of him

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eli-harold-16803/

they think he’s worth 895k with 90k guaranteed.  They think that he can compete with Yarbrough for our 4th DE. If you look at our OL, you’d realize they they aren’t afraid to add more competition to positions that need help.  If you think they they won’t be signing any DE’s because they love Eli Harold, you should think again

I don’t think they love him so no point turning this in to a strawman. I simply think they didn’t sign him just to cut him. Signing free agents just to cut them in camp is not a way good teams run things. If they were to add Ansah it is clear he would have to go. 

13 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

you spend about$10 on the draft - so it is about 20ish

yes and then teams generally leave $8-$10 going into the season to cover signings for replacements if guys get injured or if other needs come up.  Additionally, The Bills will want to carry some into next year for FA signings.  Hughes is likely the biggest contract to take care in the next offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

yes and then teams generally leave $8-$10 going into the season to cover signings for replacements if guys get injured or if other needs come up.  Additionally, The Bills will want to carry some into next year for FA signings.  Hughes is likely the biggest contract to take care in the next offseason.

They'll have $26-$27 million after signing rookies--top 51 count until the season starts. 

Current salary @51=$645k, so bottom 4 draft picks will not impact top 51 rule. 

Top 4 picks projected at $6.36 mil, but the current lowest 4 salaries will be bumped off, which is about $2.6 mil.

the net increase is About $3.8 mil., leaving them with about $26.8 mil.  Plenty of room for another signing if they want.

53+PS will bring it down about $3 million, so roughly $24 mil going into the 2019 season. There will be a few more costs like injury settlements. 

There will be some cost-saving cuts too. Ducasse and Bodine will save $3-4 mil. 

Edited by TPS

4 hours ago, d_wag said:

I don’t think they love him so no point turning this in to a strawman. I simply think they didn’t sign him just to cut him. Signing free agents just to cut them in camp is not a way good teams run things. If they were to add Ansah it is clear he would have to go. 

He’s a minimum salary player with no gtd money.  Of course they’ll cut him if they can add someone better.  They’re running a business.  They are going to improve this team anyway they can without screwing up their salary cap situation. 

The premise that “they aren’t going to cut someone they just signed” is ridiculous.  For the most part, every single team does it every single year. 

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Bills GM Brandon Beane said Saturday that he has yet to decide whether to exercise DE Shaq Lawson's fifth-year contract option for 2020. Beane said he will meet with his staff this week ahead of the May 3 deadline to extend Lawson, the previous regime's first-round pick in 2016.

Something to factor in 

39 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Bills GM Brandon Beane said Saturday that he has yet to decide whether to exercise DE Shaq Lawson's fifth-year contract option for 2020. Beane said he will meet with his staff this week ahead of the May 3 deadline to extend Lawson, the previous regime's first-round pick in 2016.

Something to factor in 

JMO, but I doubt they pick up his 5th year option.  Really not a fit here in Buffalo.  Rotation DE at best who does not excel at rushing the QB?  I could see trying to extend him at a very reasonable price, but he’s probably going to want to test the FA market after this season.