Bills Roster Improvement during McBeane Era

Is there a position that has not improved since the McBeane Era began?

Put aside the cap factor, as far talent is concerned, I believe the Bills have improved at the following:

• Offensive Line: In general, improved with a much more depth (2019 second string could compete with the 2018 line). 
    • Center - while I love Eric Wood, Morse is a clear upgrade.
    • I believe any combination RG or RT will be better.  
    • Glenn (when healthy) and Incognito were very good but hopeful that whomever wins those positions will be pretty good. 
  • Defensive Line: I believe DT is now much more dynamic and the pieces fit better. DE might be the same but if Lawson and Murphy put it together, it could be an upgrade.  Next year is a big question mark. 
  • Secondary: 2016 roster had some good talent but I really like the 2019 roster. Verdict out on CB2 but the team seems to be comfortable with the current competition. 
  • Kickers:  Hauschka is awesome. I'm hopeful that one of the punters will emerge and be an overall upgrade over 2016 Colton Schmidt.
  • QB - Check
  • Linebackers - I liked the Brown(s) but is a clear upgrade all around. Talent, youth, depth. 
  • Coaches/GM - Check

Up for Debate: 

• RB -  2016: McCoy, Gillislee, J Williams. TBD but I like the current crop, even if Shady is a shadow of 2016.  Overall, I'm intrigued by this year's corps. 
  • WR - 2016: Watkins, Woods and Goodwin. TBD.  IMO, Allen would have done well with the 2016 group but I believe the current roster looks great. 
  • TE - 2016: Clay, O'Leary.  Argument could be made that the 2016 version of Clay was better than what we have, but this year's corps is has more depth and potential (and cheaper). 

I have been a fan since 1973. since these guys took over, i have not been this excited since polian/levy.  i don't have an in depth knowledge of all their picks, but upon reading all the bio's, these guys seem to pick some awesome players with great backstories. i was hoping to land jaylon ferguson as opposed to  a rb, but overall still happy.

• Like (+1) 1

Remember, Beane didn’t take over a team that had WRs of Sammy, Woods and Goodwin.  Woods and Goodwin has ready left via FA.  

So I think it’s safe to say the WR group overall is better now, although Sammy is better than any single WR on this roster currently.  So I think we are better and we also aren’t paying Sammy $16m a year to get 700 yards either, so that’s a win

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Remember, Beane didn’t take over a team that had WRs of Sammy, Woods and Goodwin.  Woods and Goodwin has ready left via FA.  

So I think it’s safe to say the WR group overall is better now, although Sammy is better than any single WR on this roster currently.  So I think we are better and we also aren’t paying Sammy $16m a year to get 700 yards either, so that’s a win

I have always agreed moving Sammy was a good move. It took time but I believe the 2019 WRs overall are on par with the 2016 roster. 

I didn't want to get into a debate on cap space moves but one thing I LOVE about Beane is his cap management. And yes, I know Star is haul but I think he's very reliable and worth the cost.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Our Defense under Rex was overall more talented up top. Far better D line, slightly better LBs (so far),  Better top 2 CBs, worse safeties, but probably worse depth overall.

Our offensive line was better (so far), our WRs were markedly better, TE's are unknown at this point (push), RB's were far better, QB is a push (so far) 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The roster Rex inherited was pretty damn good. I like some of the pickups but probably should actually see them play first.  We are a 6-10 that hopefully is head in the right direction.

Rex’s roster was a team of overrated, overpaid, underperforming talent.  I wouldn’t say that it was anything great

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Our Defense under Rex was overall more talented up top. Far better D line, slightly better LBs (so far),  Better top 2 CBs, worse safeties, but probably worse depth overall.

Our offensive line was better (so far), our WRs were markedly better, TE's are unknown at this point (push), RB's were far better, QB is a push (so far) 

Thats right - because Rex and Doug Whaley has a superior team (eye roll)

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Rex’s roster was a team of overrated, overpaid, underperforming talent.  I wouldn’t say that it was anything great

Thanks for your contribution.

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

They had a top defense the year before Rex and had a top 10 scoring offense.  We had the second worst offense in the nfl last year.  Could they improve? Of course, but it’s way too early to state it as a fact.  

CB1 and CB2 in 2016 were both better. Sorry, Gilmore is better than Tre and Darby is better than who ever is on the roster.  Add in Robey-Coleman and that group was just better.

McDermott improved that position by choosing not to sign/franchise Gilmore, traded Darby and let Coleman walk. 

32 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

stop making sense!!!

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

CB1 and CB2 in 2016 were both better. Sorry, Gilmore is better than Tre and Darby is better than who ever is on the roster.  Add in Robey-Coleman and that group was just better.

McDermott improved that position by choosing not to sign/franchise Gilmore, traded Darby and let Coleman walk. 

Gilmore was better than Tre'Davious? I'm not sure about that

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Gilmore was better than Tre'Davious? I'm not sure about that

Gilmore was an all pro last year and talked about as the best cb in football. White is very good but he’s not there yet.  It’s almost like Belichick knew more about a player than Bills fans. ?

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gilmore was an all pro last year and talked about as the best cb in football. White is very good but he’s not there yet.  It’s almost like Belichick knew more about a player than Bills fans. ?

Tre'Davious has locked down top receivers both of his years in the league and is barely thrown at. When has that ever been the case with Gilmore? I know people wanna blow Bill Belichick and think he can do no wrong but come on dude

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Tre'Davious has locked down top receivers both of his years in the league and is barely thrown at. When has that ever been the case with Gilmore? I know people wanna blow Bill Belichick and think he can do no wrong but come on dude

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000001007785/2018-associated-press-nfl-all-pro-team

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don't care what you post for last season. How many times was Gilmore burnt to a crisp in Buffalo? He didn't even play that well his first year in NE. He had one great season since he got drafted in 2012 and you're gonna tell me he's better than Tre'Davious when Tre'Davious has already been a better player in two years than Gilmore was his first 6 years in the league?

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 3