RD 6, Pick 181: S Jaquan Johnson, University of Miami

1 hour ago, 100DollarBills said:

What gets my blood boiling is losing and not having a WR worth a F over the last 10 years due to ineptness. Some of us have high standards, thankfully Beane seems to be fairly competent, but so far it doesn’t appear to be so for the WR department. 

Maybe you need to take a break from the Bills.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you guys really think it's realistic that a 6th or 7th round pick is going to turn into a reliable, 1000+ yard per season  #1 WR?

I don't think we fans really have a clue who will or won't turn into even a capable NFL player at this point in the draft.

Even for guys who get paid to do this, the odds of success at this point in the draft are 5 or 10% (depending upon what you count as success - and that's not "becomes star" just "makes the team/active on game day/sees the field"

Depends on the player & the team taking a chance on them... Steve Smith, AB, Heck Stevie Johnson all develop into #1 WR's 

I was just being open minded about it.

59 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

We signed Beasley and Brown, whom have been career #3s. We don’t have a WR that is capable of getting 1,000 yards a year. We need that in today’s NFL. 

Damn the Bills for not picking one of those #1 WRs in the 6th and 7th round. Pretty sure they're all better than anything the Bills have on the roster.?

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Not all teams have a legit #1 WR because they are hard to come by. If the Bills thought that Johnson could be that guy, they would have picked him already. 

Not nitpicking...but these are the same people that was high on Kelvin Benjamin, Brought in Anquan Boldin, chose to start Andre Holmes & Trade Sammy Watkins, Drafted Ray Ray McCloud & Austin Prohel like they would make an impact. 

Maybe WR isn't they're strong suit... #ImJusSayin 

So yea, I wouldn't say "if the Bills thought he was a #1 WR they would have picked him already."  

Edited by Scorp83
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

So yea, I wouldn't say "if the Bills thought he was a #1 WR they would have picked him already."  

I would definitely say that if the Bills thought a #1 WR was available in the 7th round, they would take them.  Doesn't feel like a stretch to me :)

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you guys really think it's realistic that a 6th or 7th round pick is going to turn into a reliable, 1000+ yard per season  #1 WR?

I don't think we fans really have a clue who will or won't turn into even a capable NFL player at this point in the draft.

Even for guys who get paid to do this, the odds of success at this point in the draft are 5 or 10% (depending upon what you count as success - and that's not "becomes star" just "makes the team/active on game day/sees the field"

Not sure if statistics bear it out, but it would seem the odds of a UDFA/6th/7th round pick sticking are roughly the same.

Maybe a draft pick has a better chance of making the roster year 1, but long term, doubt it's much different.

41 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I think that job goes to Taron Johnson or EJ Gaines if Levi Wallace wins the job opposite Trae'Davious.

It's nice to be 3/6 deep at CB

White

Gaines

Wallace

all real NFL capable starters

T Johnson

K Johnson

L Pitts

all with NFL potential and playing time in real games

I expect a CB in UDFA since one wasn't selected!

I guess getting K Johnson and EJ Gaines are the additions there.

Good additions IMO

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not sure if statistics bear it out, but it would seem the odds of a UDFA/6th/7th round pick sticking are roughly the same.

Maybe a draft pick has a better chance of making the roster year 1, but long term, doubt it's much different.

It's a good question.  It would depend upon how one defines "sticking" and UDFA - not "Is is" ing ya here-

A lot of UDFA are brought into camp just for a "cup of coffee" audition at rookie minicamp.  If you count those, the odds for an UDFA are much lower. 

If you say "what are the odds of a UDFA vs 5-7th round guy making the roster, after he's been in the NFL (scout team or roster) 1 year?" you may be right.  I think because the teams invest *something* in a draft pick, they tend to give those guys a bit more of a look/chance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Seems like he is more of a Nickel Corner than safety. Which is a need

I feel he'll be used in the big Nickel package over Bush if he has a great TC. 

If Taron Johnson stays healthy he's a stud at the slot , but ya there's not much behind him.

42 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Depends on the player & the team taking a chance on them... Steve Smith, AB, Heck Stevie Johnson all develop into #1 WR's 

I was just being open minded about it.

Steve Smith, 3rd round pick.  Antonio Brown, I grant you. 

Stevie Johnson was an interesting case.  No doubt he was the Bills #1 for a time, but was that just a case of "I've seen ya #1 when nobody else was around", competing with other goonies (Dave Nelson, Donald Jones, Roscoe Parish)?  When he went off to SF and then to (then) SD, he was #3 on the wideout chart.  Still, he was good for a 3-peat of 1000 yd seasons, which is more than any Bills WR has managed since**, so give the man his propers.

**though contrary to low opinions, Sammy Watkins came within 1 penalty of back-to-backers with Orton and TT throwing to him for which he ought to get props IMO

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a good question.  It would depend upon how one defines "sticking" and UDFA - not "Is is" ing ya here-

A lot of UDFA are brought into camp just for a "cup of coffee" audition at rookie minicamp.  If you count those, the odds for an UDFA are much lower. 

If you say "what are the odds of a UDFA vs 5-7th round guy making the roster, after he's been in the NFL (scout team or roster) 1 year?" you may be right.  I think because the teams invest *something* in a draft pick, they tend to give those guys a bit more of a look/chance.

I wouldn't define sticking as remaining on the roster for a season and then winding up driving for UPS. That's pretty much what I expect for Ray Ray. We struck gold with Foster.

The Proehl/Ray Ray/Foster angle would be really short sighted. I'm talking big picture. It seems like there has been just as many if not more UDFA receivers "stick" in comparison to 6/7th round picks. The sample size is a little unfair to the draft picks because there are far more UDFA's.

Overall, the point I'm trying to get across is that it doesn't really concern me that they didn't take a flier on a late round WR. Wouldn't have minded seeing one taken earlier, but it is what it is. There will be UDFA's that can contribute. It's up to regime to identify those guys. Another Foster is unlikely, but you gotta dig.

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I feel he'll be used in the big Nickel package over Bush if he has a great TC. 

If Taron Johnson stays healthy he's a stud at the slot , but ya there's not much behind him.

Not much behind S or CB?

very deep at CB

only Bush at S

that's why I like that they addressed S

Edited by RocCityRoller

51 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

It's nice to be 3/6 deep at CB

White

Gaines

Wallace

all real NFL capable starters

T Johnson

K Johnson

L Pitts

all with NFL potential and playing time in real games

I expect a CB in UDFA since one wasn't selected!

I guess getting K Johnson and EJ Gaines are the additions there.

Good additions IMO

Absolutely. We are deep pretty much at every position group!!

It's pretty amazing really, they totally rebuilt this roster , since McD took over , only Shady, Hughes and Lorax are starting from the previous regime! I think Shaq and Dimarco are the only other players left on this roster from the Rex Regime. 

That's 48/53 new players on this team since early 2017, which is a total tear down and rebuild. And expectations are sky high imo. That's a great accomplishment for McBeane .  They added a young , legit core - Edmunds,Allen, Tre , Milano , Levi , Taron , Foster are all impact players drafted since 17.

Plus Harrison Phillips , Dawkins and Zay have the potential and are close to getting to that point and Ed Oliver, Ford and Knox likely start in their rookie year . Just phenomenal drafting , which is how you build great teams that have long term success. 

I love this staff. We struck gold imo and 2019 is the beginning of an era imo , which was their blueprint and vision the whole time

43 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Not much behind S or CB?

very deep at CB

only Bush at S

that's why I like that they addressed S

Well I meant slot, but we can have guys fill in if needed, we are VERY talented and deep at CB .

We do have Neal also at S, who is a question mark but got some play time last year and hopefully can make a jump. Also Maurice Alexander at S but he's listed as LB so I'm not sure. 

Either way, I'm also glad we got a S

• Like (+1) 2

Bottom of the draft it's either high character workers or Athletes with potential.  This sounds like a guy who can learn from Hyde.  Who was not a high pick either, who ran slow.  

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1