RD 6, Pick 181: S Jaquan Johnson, University of Miami

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Ummm John Brown got 1000 yards. Just saying. 

You know what i mean. I’m talking about consistently. I’m not saying I don’t think they aren’t capable under Allen, it’s just risky. It would have been nice to develop a WR this year, worst case is you cut them and draft another next year until we find someone. 

4 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

We signed Beasley and Brown, whom have been career #3s. We don’t have a WR that is capable of getting 1,000 yards a year. We need that in today’s NFL. 

The New England Patriots* (you may have heard of them) did not have a 1,000 yard receiver last year with the best QB of all time. I’d love a HOF WR, but so would everybody else. It’s OK if we spread the ball around. I’ll give our guys a chance while still looking under every rock for better options. 

• Like (+1) 2

So there isn’t a 6th round WR that can do it consistently either (your words). So again what is the point?  

News Flash. Knox will help Allen more than any 6th round WR that likely won’t make the Roster 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Take away extra points and touchbacks, its actually closer to 15% of the plays. 

Not saying it isn't a part of the game but special teams are not on the same level as the offense and defense units.

Penalties cause more harm than players actually making or missing plays on returns.

And this goes for the coordinator importance too. 

Just build a high quality roster and reserve maybe one guy designated as a gunner type after PK, P and LS of course.

Maybe this kid is that guy. Likes to be physical and special teams is played in space so any size mismatch won't be an issue.

No sir....your info is twisted. Returns were about 50%. I'm not counting anything other than kickoffs

20 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

What gets my blood boiling is losing and not having a WR worth a F over the last 10 years due to ineptness. Some of us have high standards, thankfully Beane seems to be fairly competent, but so far it doesn’t appear to be so for the WR department. 

OK, I think you've made your opinion known, now let it go.

As for "not having a WR worth a F over the last 10 years", two former Bills WR faced off in the Super Bowl last year.  One of them, our 2013 2nd round pick, led his team in receiving yards with >1200.  When he was here, the New Guard didn't think too much of him - hardworking 40-45 ypg guy - so they let him move on in FA.   The other, wearing a superbowl ring to go with two AFC Champ rings, was undrafted, and actually IS a hardworking  40-45 ypg guy, though strangely he only managed 20 ypg when with Buffalo.

Possibly the problem is not just the WR, but the guy throwing to them?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Projection: Fourth to fifth round

Bottom Line

Johnson brings quite a bit of experience to the table having received significant starter-level reps at both high school and college level. He’s a type-A personality and the type of player who’ll inspire his teammates to go into battle with him. On the field, he plays with an aggressive, physical demeanor and tracks ball-carriers like a heat-seeking missile. And his tackle numbers as a junior and senior highlight how sound he is at bringing players down once they’re in his grasp.

One of the biggest knocks on Johnson centers on his physical traits as he’s far from the tallest safety prospect. And given these size concerns, can he continue to play as physical as he did in college given the power he’ll see at the next level? His play speed might also be a bit of an issue which showed up during the Combine as he ran a 40 that ranked in the 11th percentile. All those weak suits might serve to limit his ceiling.

There’s no doubting Johnson’s intangibles. That much is certain given the leadership he demonstrated for his Miami squad. And there are elements of his skill set that hint at him eventually developing into a starter in the NFL. Concerns over height and overall length likely push him into day three of the draft. But that could classify him as a possible late round steal.

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2019/04/23/jaquan-johnson-2019-nfl-draft-profile/

Idk, I like the kid (Johnson is quickly becoming the new Williams, dare I say). Overall, depth is fine and ST help is much needed, but I honestly would’ve rather taken a flyer on Kelvin Harmon here to add to the corps. I get next year has more depth of talent at the skill positions but for the value in the sixth he was there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

WR ANTHONY JOHNSON, BUFFALO (OVERALL: 171ST)

Among draft-eligible FBS wide receivers with at least 100 targets over the past two seasons, Johnson ranked tied for first in receptions of 15-plus yards (61) and second in yards per route run (3.48).

He is actually a very good receiver.

how do you know he fits what the Bills are doing? Has anyone on this page talked to him personally about X's and O's? Every team has passed on him multiple times. WR's are being drafted that were ranked way below him. Harmon dropped to the 6th round when everyone thought he was a 2nd rounder. Never know what teams are looking for. 

33 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Why do people harp on and on about a player just because they played college locally?

Oh I wasn't harping on him cause of his local status... I'm looking to add someone that can turn into a potential #1 threat! Right now at this point...its slim pickings... Anthony Johnson is the only one left that with good coaching can turn into that player for us. Our WR's just isn't enough... like someone else posted "The WR position is like Nate Peterson... we can see the train wreck about to happen"

31 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

if he didnt go to college in Buffalo, would anyone really care about him?

See my other post ⬆️

Edited by Scorp83

The Bills have spoken about this publicly, that there are two ways to look at a WR corps: 1) to have a clear #1 WR who gets a huge number of targets (which doesn't just mean he's your team's best but a true #1, of which there may be only 15), and then a clear #2 and #3, etc)... OR... 2) You have no true #1 so you have several varied components and try to beat the other team with 4-5 different kinds of receivers and cogs.

The Bills went after a #1 in Antonio Brown to some degree. When that didn't work, and no other #1 was likely available or would be a smart pick at #9 in the draft, they went the second route. They signed a deep threat and a solid slot guy. They have a possible #1 in Foster who has not proven anything yet, and a couple interesting prospects in Duke and Mackenzie, along with Zay. It makes a lot of sense. IMO we could use a big guy that can go deep, because that is the cog we don't have in the five components strategy. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Oh I wasn't harping on him cause of his local status... I'm looking to add someone that can turn into a potential #1 threat! Right now at this point...its slim pickings... Anthony Johnson is the only one left that with good coaching can turn into that player for us. Our WR's just isn't enough... like someone else posted "The WR position is like Nate Peterson... we can see the train wreck about to happen"

See my other post ⬆️

Not all teams have a legit #1 WR because they are hard to come by. If the Bills thought that Johnson could be that guy, they would have picked him already. 

Antonio Brown was a 5th round draft choice, believe it or not those guys are out there.

On 4/27/2019 at 1:59 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

The Bills have spoken about this publicly, that there are two ways to look at a WR corps: 1) to have a clear #1 WR who gets a huge number of targets (which doesn't just mean he's your team's best but a true #1, of which there may be only 15), and then a clear #2 and #3, etc)... OR... 2) You have no true #1 so you have several varied components and try to beat the other team with 4-5 different kinds of receivers and cogs.

The Bills went after a #1 in Antonio Brown to some degree. When that didn't work, and no other #1 was likely available or would be a smart pick at #9 in the draft, they went the second route. They signed a deep threat and a solid slot guy. They have a possible #1 in Foster who has not proven anything yet, and a couple interesting prospects in Duke and Mackenzie, along with Zay. It makes a lot of sense. IMO we could use a big guy that can go deep, because that is the cog we don't have in the five components strategy. 

Hakeem Butler had more 20 yd plus catches than any receiver in the draft. He is 6'5" and ran 4.48. 

Edited by Turk71

22 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

See my other post ⬆️

Do you guys really think it's realistic that a 6th or 7th round pick is going to turn into a reliable, 1000+ yard per season  #1 WR?

I don't think we fans really have a clue who will or won't turn into even a capable NFL player at this point in the draft.

Even for guys who get paid to do this, the odds of success at this point in the draft are 5 or 10% (depending upon what you count as success - and that's not "becomes star" just "makes the team/active on game day/sees the field"

• Like (+1) 1