RD 6, Pick 181: S Jaquan Johnson, University of Miami

19 minutes ago, d_wag said:

Meh, would rather just flip the 6th for a 5th next year if the guy just isn’t gonna make the cut (which I don’t think this guy will, barring injury). Cutting picks is a complete waste.

It’s all a crapshoot from here on.  Last year the Bills used 6th & 7th rnd picks on WRs and only one made the team while 2 undrafted players (Foster, Cam Phillips) were on the roster.

Just now, akm0404 said:

Choose to be happy and enjoy this hobby - you don't have to let it make you angry.  I promise you'll have a better time if you commit to avoiding negativity.

I do enjoy it, I’m really not that negative. It’s just upsetting these people get to make money doing this stuff when they are barely competent. I’m glad we have Josh Allen, but our WRs and our drafting abilities to find them is severely lacking. 

3 minutes ago, d_wag said:

I’ll say this draft does bode well for duke williams, he’ll get comp in UDFA but has to be considered early fav to make roster if they keep 6

It is interesting. I was hoping we'd draft a WR this year but maybe they like Duke better than I thought.

3 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

if he didnt go to college in Buffalo, would anyone really care about him?

WR ANTHONY JOHNSON, BUFFALO (OVERALL: 171ST)

Among draft-eligible FBS wide receivers with at least 100 targets over the past two seasons, Johnson ranked tied for first in receptions of 15-plus yards (61) and second in yards per route run (3.48).

He is actually a very good receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

How many WRs were signed this Offseason?  And how did their likely future UDFA No 1 WR look after coming back after being humbled a bit on the PS?

We signed Beasley and Brown, whom have been career #3s. We don’t have a WR that is capable of getting 1,000 yards a year. We need that in today’s NFL. 

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They really aren't that vital after the kicker. The rules have made returns rare and you can find a #6 WR or #10 DB anywhere to play on teams.

Returns are rare? They were still about 50% last year...ST's are still a third of the game

1 minute ago, 100DollarBills said:

We signed Beasley and Brown, whom have been career #3s. We don’t have a WR that is capable of getting 1,000 yards a year. We need that in today’s NFL. 

Who got that for the world champs?

• Like (+1) 2

How does a LBer or WR have an actual chance to make the Roster and Safety doesn’t (that is a ST ace). 

Guess you you didn’t see the play of Neal or Marlow at times last season. 

Like I said earlier, i thought neal showed very well and I also rate Marlowe (who will be facing a roster crunch himself, will they keep 5 safeties?). LB is wide open, Stanford and Lacey stunk and do not belong on the roster, thankfully Joseph will take one of their spots (Edwards, Milano, Alexander, Mo, Jospeh, and ?). 6th WR spot is also an open competition, I’m good with safety before you add another guy to the mix. Maybe they keep 5 backers only and 5/6 safeties, then this starts to make more sense (but not how i expect this to play out, expect him just to be cut and try to stash on PS)

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Religious?  What a ridiculous objection to a draft pick.

I think he meant it less as an objection and more as a “mcd might like the kid more than he should” 

may or or may not be fair. 

2 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

We don’t?  Go back and watch Robert Foster at the end of the season. 

Now which WR in the late rounds here would be that guy?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

I do enjoy it, I’m really not that negative. It’s just upsetting these people get to make money doing this stuff when they are barely competent. I’m glad we have Josh Allen, but our WRs and our drafting abilities to find them is severely lacking. 

I understand you are disappointed that they didn't pick the guys you liked.  I do wonder if you wholeheartedly believe that you could select better players than the Bills player personnel folks.  I personally don't think I could, as I'm just a layperson who enjoys football, but I think there are people here who spend a lot of time as "fantasy GMs"...

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, HarryLime said:

So if he makes the team and we have 3 Johnson's in the secondary, we can call our dime package a Bunch of *****.

I'll see myself out.

We need another you so we can have a pair of Harry Limes to go along with the bunch of Johnson's?

• Like (+1) 1

Go back and watch Robert Foster at the end of the season. 

The Bills must be high on Foster. At the very least they are going to give him an opportunity to prove he is a #1. If not, next year's draft is supposed to be a strong WR class.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

We don’t?  Go back and watch Robert Foster at the end of the season. 

Now which WR in the late rounds here would be that guy?

There isn’t any, but we can at least try instead of drafting people who will be lucky to make PS with our current roster. 

Just now, 100DollarBills said:

There isn’t any, but we can at least try instead of drafting people who will be lucky to make PS with our current roster. 

Ummm John Brown got 1000 yards. Just saying. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

Returns are rare? They were still about 50% last year...ST's are still a third of the game

Take away extra points and touchbacks, its actually closer to 15% of the plays. 

Not saying it isn't a part of the game but special teams are not on the same level as the offense and defense units.

Penalties cause more harm than players actually making or missing plays on returns.

And this goes for the coordinator importance too. 

Just build a high quality roster and reserve maybe one guy designated as a gunner type after PK, P and LS of course.

Maybe this kid is that guy. Likes to be physical and special teams is played in space so any size mismatch won't be an issue.