RD 5, Pick 147: LB Vosean Joseph, University of Florida

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I follow Gator football closely here. The ‘knock’ on him during the Draft was that he was reckless and often out of position, while being an animal in hitting and talking. To a large degree, this is accurate, but it was the designed scheme of the Gator D to play disciplined DL and let the LBs roam free to attack as they saw fit.

So ‘Process education’ is what the Bills are doing with him as he’s a natural LB fit for our D. He’ll need to focus hard on STs to make the team this year because I fear he’ll be scooped up before we can sign him to PS if he’s cut. jmo.

I have read some scouting reports stating that he has a tendency to roam and even create his own zones. Joseph will benefit from strong coaching of course, and as one scout said, "You may have to staple a $50 bill on each page of his playbook to get his attention!"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Joseph was the most impressive player on the field last night, if you wanna take anything out of a preseason game.

Joseph makes amazing flash plays, but also misses assignments like crazy on D.

He's strictly a ST'er to start, IMO

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Joseph makes amazing flash plays, but also misses assignments like crazy on D.

He's strictly a ST'er to start, IMO

Another member here pointed that out. Start Joseph on special teams, then gradually give him more assignments until he has the confidence of the coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I follow Gator football closely here. The ‘knock’ on him during the Draft was that he was reckless and often out of position, while being an animal in hitting and tackling. To a large degree, this is accurate, but it was the designed scheme of the Gator D to play disciplined DL and let the LBs roam free to attack as they saw fit.

So ‘Process education’ is what the Bills are doing with him as he’s a natural LB fit for our D. He’ll need to focus hard on STs to make the team this year because I fear he’ll be scooped up before we can sign him to PS if he’s cut. jmo.

Oh yeah...he would definitely be snatched up by another team. Now that you mentioned it, most scouts did not mention the fact that the Gator Linebackers had the autonomy to act on their own. That may explain some of the recklessness. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

So this guy has to make the 53, right?  No way he makes it to the practice squad.  

He needs to be coached up, but from the looks of Thompson, our staff clearly knows what they’re doing at the LB position in terms of coaching/development.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So this guy has to make the 53, right?  No way he makes it to the practice squad.  

He needs to be coached up, but from the looks of Thompson, our staff clearly knows what they’re doing at the LB position in terms of coaching/development.  

Hopefully he is helping his cause by performing on Special Teams.  If he stands out there, he is harder to let go.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I thought since the night we drafted him that if he can be good on ST he will make this team.  He’s trending that way now IMO, so I think he’s got a decent shot at the 53.  Kid could be another Milano type find IMO in terms of value.

• Like (+1) 6

31 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I thought since the night we drafted him that if he can be good on ST he will make this team.  He’s trending that way now IMO, so I think he’s got a decent shot at the 53.  Kid could be another Milano type find IMO in terms of value.

I agree. Joseph is extremely talented. He just needs experience and good coaching. I can't see the Bills getting rid of him. 

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am thinking Joseph is a special teams monster this year......and makes the team.

This is Lorax future replacement here

We may be looking at a future star...not a scrub.

2 hours ago, Magox said:

The focus this year will be for him to be "process" oriented, to play more intelligently, better technique etc etc

First year he will struggle and overthink.  Once he settles down and absorbs the "process", he'll end up being a significant contributor.

I see him as a big time player...you are right on!

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Watched him closely last night, he flashed two or three times -- but this was the most important play for his immediate future imo. He's going to make the roster this year on his abilities on Teams above all else. And this was a beauty. 

:beer: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I am thinking Joseph is a special teams monster this year......and makes the team.

This is Lorax future replacement here

Yup. Between Joseph and Thompson things are looking good for life after Zo.

8 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Watched him closely last night, he flashed two or three times -- but this was the most important play for his immediate future imo. He's going to make the roster this year on his abilities on Teams above all else. And this was a beauty. 

:beer: 

This will probably be a regular Sunday occurrence!

• Like (+1) 1