RD 5, Pick 147: LB Vosean Joseph, University of Florida

Value-wise, this was our best pick of the draft. If we can get him to see more of the field, he'll not only be a starter, but he'll be a probowler. He needs to bulk up a bit, but that's the easy part.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Value-wise, this was our best pick of the draft. If we can get him to see more of the field, he'll not only be a starter, but he'll be a probowler. He needs to bulk up a bit, but that's the easy part.

Like Kiko,I think he's too high motor to put beef on...and I'm fine with that because his skill/mind set is to avoid and attack.Thankully,he not nuts like Kiko..but he plays like him.He's going to be a Bill for decade...great pick by Beane and his southeast scout.How much credit should Keith Jennings get for this selection?

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

...patience and developmental time....thought Milano was smallish even in the 5th....back under my rock on THAT one period....

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Like Kiko,I think he's too high motor to put beef on...and I'm fine with that because his skill/mind set is to avoid and attack.Thankully,he not nuts like Kiko..but he plays like him.He's going to be a Bill for decade...great pick by Beane and his southeast scout.How much credit should Keith Jennings get for this selection?

Agreed. I think we tend to overvalue size. There are limitations(can't play LB at 190 pounds) but simply being 6-3 250 doesn't make a guy an effective football player. Joseph is 6-1 226. Zo is the same height and about 20 pounds heavier. I think Joseph can put on 10 pounds of MUSCLE, but it's his motor that makes him a really interesting prospect. I think he's gonna fit in perfectly at Zo's spot and he'll have a season to add SOME bulk.

• SDS unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks Yolo! I thought he showed well for the short time he was in. Surprised no one else cared to post about him.?

Give Joseph some time. He just effortlessly lays people out! He just needs to work on his game! I like the toughness that he brings.

Edited by Rocket94

Our LB depth is looking better and better.  Dodson and Joseph both look solid.  LB, WR, CB, OL will be very tough cuts.  Whomever we cut at those positions will be picked up by another team.  I'm not used to having this much depth!

On 4/27/2019 at 3:11 PM, Sig1Hunter said:

Buddy of mine that is a Gators season ticket holder said  “he lays people out. But, he also misses a lot of tackles. All or nothing.”  

Guess my buddy was at least half right. Vosean was laying some people out last night!

17 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Give Joseph some time. He just effortlessly lays people out! He just needs to work on his game!

I follow Gator football closely here. The ‘knock’ on him during the Draft was that he was reckless and often out of position, while being an animal in hitting and tackling. To a large degree, this is accurate, but it was the designed scheme of the Gator D to play disciplined DL and let the LBs roam free to attack as they saw fit.

So ‘Process education’ is what the Bills are doing with him as he’s a natural LB fit for our D. He’ll need to focus hard on STs to make the team this year because I fear he’ll be scooped up before we can sign him to PS if he’s cut. jmo.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks Yolo! I thought he showed well for the short time he was in. Surprised no one else cared to post about him.?

I thought there was a thread about him earlier this week but couldn’t find it. In it, I mentioned that the reviews of him out of practices had not been great, that he was buried on the rep chart. I also said that he could make up ground in the preseason games if he takes advantage of his opportunities. I haven’t seen the game yet and need to wait for the replay, but it sounds like based on some of what I’ve read, he showed up last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought there was a thread about him earlier this week but couldn’t find it. In it, I mentioned that the reviews of him out of practices had not been great, that he was buried on the rep chart. I also said that he could make up ground in the preseason games if he takes advantage of his opportunities. I haven’t seen the game yet and need to wait for the replay, but it sounds like based on some of what I’ve read, he showed up last night. 

Replay tonight/tomorrow morning @ 2:00am, NFLN.

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I follow Gator football closely here. The ‘knock’ on him during the Draft was that he was reckless and often out of position, while being an animal in hitting and tackling. To a large degree, this is accurate, but it was the designed scheme of the Gator D to play disciplined DL and let the LBs roam free to attack as they saw fit.

So ‘Process education’ is what the Bills are doing with him as he’s a natural LB fit for our D. He’ll need to focus hard on STs to make the team this year because I fear he’ll be scooped up before we can sign him to PS if he’s cut. jmo.

Completely agree with your last paragraph. I think he is competing with Maurice Alexander for the final LB spot (assuming they keep 6 and Stanford and Thompson are your other depth guys) so showing up on ST is paramount. He just has so much potential in this defense to risk on waivers. 

EDIT: I like Dodson for PS

• Like (+1) 1

The focus this year will be for him to be "process" oriented, to play more intelligently, better technique etc etc

First year he will struggle and overthink.  Once he settles down and absorbs the "process", he'll end up being a significant contributor.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2