RD 5, Pick 147: LB Vosean Joseph, University of Florida

25 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Now when he does that to a guy, AND sends him through a burning table, I'll be impressed. Until then, McBeane ruined the draft! We are #doomed! Wasted pick! 

I kid... I kid... Joseph was ranked much higher than he was selected by a solid majority of the draft media (for whatever that's worth). From the little tape I've seen, he is very fast, plays violent, and just needs to hone his focus and aggression into more quality plays. He also needs to put on a few pounds of good weight, but with that new training facility, the opportunity will be his for the taking. I expect a bit of a learning curve, too, in terms of diagnosing plays, but a player like Joseph is the direction that NFL LB's are taking: smaller, faster, coverage-capable guys. Have him learn under Milano, and I feel like he can be a really productive piece of this D. 

Definitely a lot to learn but hopefully he won’t be thrust into a lot of action before he’s ready. He’s got great support/opportunity to become a late round contributor with the aging Alexander in front of him, young talents in Edmunds/Milano and a coaching staff that has experience working with quality linebackers. Rooting for him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Definitely a lot to learn but hopefully he won’t be thrust into a lot of action before he’s ready. He’s got great support/opportunity to become a late round contributor with the aging Alexander in front of him, young talents in Edmunds/Milano and a coaching staff that has experience working with quality linebackers. Rooting for him

Agreed, on all points.

On 4/27/2019 at 11:12 AM, BoBills20 said:

He's a sideline to sideline LB. Can't believe we still haven't gone with a pass rusher yet... Joe Jackson and Omenihu were still on the board.

Also would've like a silky route runner like Kelvin Harmon, who could've been a day 2 pick

Could've been a Day 3 pick...

I'm okay with the safety depth considering I don't find Bush to be a great replacement, nor is Siran Neal quite ready for the coverage safety role as much. But I really would've liked to have taken a flyer on Harmon as early as the 4th and I would've been okay with it. While I would've liked to have seen Butler, Harmon would've added a different profile of receiver to the corps that could push the benchmark for making the roster.

That being said, to keep in the topic of this thread - I'm optimistic about this year's 5th round backer pick. Milano kicked that off and now hopefully Vosean keeps it up since he appears to have a similar motor.

Edited by ctk232

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

People have said he's a backup for Milano.  Can he not also play Zo's side?

No. He doesn't have the strength or the pass rush skills to fill the position Zo plays for the Bills. He had 4 sacks in 3 years at Florida.

He's strictly a WLB who's best in space. Darryl Johnson has a much better chance of playing LB on the strong side in a Zo role.

18 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

People have said he's a backup for Milano.  Can he not also play Zo's side?

This is what Beane said on Sirius yesterday

Vosean if you watch him is a very instinctive player, a little undersized maybe – but he makes a lot of plays, he plays bigger than his size.  In this league you can have 2 down or 3 down backers and we feel this guy can match up and cover RBs and TEs .  We just like his upside, he played with his hair on fire – we think he’ll help us on special teams to start out and then kind of learn – we go Lorenzo Alexander here who’s a veteran who can teach him and hopefully in year 2 he can compete to start at one of our outside spots.

He reminds me of Jerome Baker who was drafted by Miami last year in the 3rd. 

On 4/27/2019 at 3:11 PM, Sig1Hunter said:

Buddy of mine that is a Gators season ticket holder said  “he lays people out. But, he also misses a lot of tackles. All or nothing.”  

Just saw this and yep, Jerome Baker.

4 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I trust McDermott with LB's more than anything. If there's a player here and I think there is he's going to get it out of him. Love the idea of having Edmunds, Milano and Joseph as a core.

That sounds excellent. Milano and Edmunds will only get better, and if Joseph gets the kinks out and progresses, he will be a very dangerous LB. Look at the speed of this group!

Edited by Rocket94