RD 5, Pick 147: LB Vosean Joseph, University of Florida

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I’ve looked at a couple different pre-draft ranking sites, and it seems we’ve gotten our guys later than their expectations, for the most part. I’d like to think there’s a bunch of steals in there! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At 230 pounds he sounds like a hybrid safety/LB who could play the mike LB in a cover 2,3 5-2 type formation.  He would have pass defense responsibility in the medium middle zone.   That could be a start and an easier learning experience and introduction to the pro game.  Rest a 1st two down LB and put him in.

From nfl.com:  

"His tape has no middle ground, it's either really impressive or really ugly. Now go look at his production this year and you realize you can coach some ugly out of his play. He's a '5' right now but we can turn him into a '9.'" - AFC defensive coach

• Like (+1) 4

I read the tape on him has no in between. It's really good or really ugly. Hopefully a year on the bench and he'll be a very pleasent surprise. In the meantime, he's a nice upgrade for LB depth and ST. He can block and tackle in the open field.

4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Dont mistake me. I do love the pick and I did watch the tape. Did you spot the missed tackles? 

Probably correctible by Bills coaches and yes I do agree he is good value.

Yeah he misses tackles, and if you watch closely all LBs do.  Im a Florida alum and watched him his entire career.  I thought him and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson were their best defensive players on a consistent basis this past year.  Polite was really good but would disappear sometimes.  

I really think he is a perfect situational OLB that could be sent to blitz (especially blindside) or cover TEs this year and could step in for Milano really well if there is an injury.  He has a lot of instinct and big play ability, and plays his best in big situations.  Does he make mistakes and is he in need of work?  No doubt, but he will be a guy you want on the field when it matters. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

49 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

McDermott does like wrestling

That or MMA!

I am defensive minded...love this kid already. Speed, Twitching and he is aggressive! I really hope he develops well and responds to coaching. This is what I have been talking about. We need to get after people!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Yeah he misses tackles, and if you watch closely all LBs do.  Im a Florida alum and watched him his entire career.  I thought him and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson were their best defensive players on a consistent basis this past year.  Polite was really good but would disappear sometimes.  

I really think he is a perfect situational OLB that could be sent to blitz (especially blindside) or cover TEs this year and could step in for Milano really well if there is an injury.  He has a lot of instinct and big play ability, and plays his best in big situations.  Does he make mistakes and is he in need of work?  No doubt, but he will be a guy you want on the field when it matters. 

Yes...we can see where he over pursues and misses tackles. Nothing that experience and coaching can't fix. Just like Singletary he is sudden...you don't coach that. If he adds a few pounds of muscle he can be a force. I love linebackers, and this kid is special.