RD 5, Pick 147: LB Vosean Joseph, University of Florida

He's a sideline to sideline LB. Can't believe we still haven't gone with a pass rusher yet... Joe Jackson and Omenihu were still on the board.

Also would've like a silky route runner like Kelvin Harmon, who could've been a day 2 pick

• Like (+1) 1

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2019/03/22/vosean-joseph-2019-nfl-draft-profile/

Projection: Late second to early third round

Bottom Line

Joseph is a hugely athletic prospect with an above average initial burst that enables him to close on ball-carriers rather easily. He’s incredibly rangy and is stronger than his size would suggest. Those traits allow him to blow up plays in the backfield and force negative plays. He’s also functional as a coverage linebacker which hints that he has every down value.

One of the obvious concerns about Joseph is his below-average size. He’s also thinly built below the hips and might need to add some mass to his lower body without it impacting his athleticism. There are also quite a few inconsistencies in his tape, particularly with respect to his instincts and overall body control. Too often, he plows into blockers on plays that roll to the perimeter rather than take a more efficient path to the ball.

Ultimately, Joseph’s ideal role at the next level appears to be that of a WILL with the potential to develop into a three-down backer that can wreak havoc as a blitzer and contribute in coverage. Though he might not play more than a reserve role as a rookie, he’ll be a welcome addition to a team’s depth chart. His ceiling is that of a regular starter as an undersized yet immensely athletic player at his position.

Edited by PirateHookerMD
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Zierlein:

"Joseph is a narrow, underweight linebacker with excellent athleticism and outstanding closing burst but a maddening amount of negative tape. Inconsistency will follow him until he shows that discipline and control matter in his play. How teams weigh the inconsistent tape against the speed and potential could cause for wide variances in his draft grade among teams. Joseph's lack of instincts and field awareness may never leave, but a move to WILL linebacker should help as should his coverage/blitz potential on third downs. "

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Still wish we took a receiver but I won’t question ion them on defensive picks.  McBeane knows defense. 

I want offense too, but this guy is a steal in the 5th.  A steal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

I want offense too, but this guy is a steal in the 5th.  A steal.

Really? Why? Not being a smart ass I just know absolutely nothing about this guy. He makes the team?