NFL Draft - Day 3 (put your general draft commentary here)

1 minute ago, 100DollarBills said:

No point in drafting WRs anyways, I don’t trust our ability to evaluate them anyhow. 

Do you mean “our“ in terms of the team’s front office or in terms of the posters on this board? Clearly, as some other posters of already said, unlike many of us, the brain trust feels like wide receiver, during the draft, was not that high of a priority. I just hope they are right. 

A few of my top 10 flown off the board the last few picks.... so here we go with another board update:

1. Preston Williams, WR, Colorado State

2. Cortez Broughton, DT, Cincinnati

3. Malik Gant, S, Marshall

4. Emmanuel Hall, WR, Missouri

5. Jordan Brailford, DE, Oklahoma State

6. Isaiah Buggs, DT, Alabama

7. Joe Giles-Harris, LB, Duke

8. Daniel Wise, DT, Kansas

9. Rodney Anderson, RB, Oklahoma

10. Tyrel Dodson, LB, Texas A&M

11. Gerald Willis, DT, Miami

12. Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina State

13. Jordan Brown, CB, South Dakota State

14. Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA

15. Te'von Coney, LB, Norte Dame

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

Do you mean “our“ in terms of the team’s front office or in terms of the posters on this board? Clearly, as some other posters of already said, unlike many of us, the brain trust feels like wide receiver, during the draft, was not that high of a priority. I just hope they are right. 

Our as in our front office. It’s been years since they have drafted a WR worth the money. I think they have even admitted as much. I just hope Beasley and Brown are the answer, but I’m not excited about it. I honestly have more hope for Foster than those 2. 

4 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Johnson is a little guy.

5' 10"  191lbs

4.69 40

throw-a-way pick.  Kelvin Harmon should have been selected, at least he has a chance to compete for a starting job.  This guy is lucky to make the practice squad.   

7 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

No point in drafting WRs anyways, I don’t trust our ability to evaluate them anyhow. 

Does anyone realize that we have top 3 cap space in the next 2 upcoming years? And we will be dumping Shady's giant pile also. Next year => Tyreek Hill is a FA!!!! Ok, I know he won't get there but one can dream.....

Edited by Locomark

Just now, Locomark said:

Does anyone realize that we have top 3 cap space in the next 2 upcoming years? And we will be dumping Shady's giant pile also. Next year => Tyreek Hill is a FA!!!!

Hill will probably be a FA sooner than that...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 100DollarBills said:

Our as in our front office. It’s been years since they have drafted a WR worth the money. I think they have even admitted as much. I just hope Beasley and Brown are the answer, but I’m not excited about it. I honestly have more hope for Foster than those 2. 

I don’t disagree. I was fully expecting a wide receiver drafted at least by day two. But, for now, I will trust the process.

Just now, Ice bowl 67 said:

You know much about him?

19. JAQUAN JOHNSON | Miami (Fla.) 5101 | 191 lbs. | SR. Miami, Fla. (Killian) 11/6/1996 (age 22.48) #21 B

BACKGROUND: A four-star safety recruit out of high school, Jaquan Johnson played running back and defensive back at Miami Killian (where he was teammates with fellow University of Miami safety prospect Sheldrick Redwine) before choosing to focus only on defense his junior and senior seasons. He earned First Team All-State honors three times and is one of only a few players to earn First Team All-Dade County honors four times. Johnson was considered a top-10 safety nationally and committed to hometown Miami over Florida and Florida State. He accepted his invitation to the 2019 Senior Bowl. YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES 2015: (13/0) 26 0.0 0.0 1 1 1 2016: (13/5) 38 3.0 1.5 0 3 1 2017: (13/13) 96 3.0 1.0 3 8 4 Second Team All-American; Second Team All-ACC; Led team in tackles and interceptions; Team Captain 2018: (11/11) 92 1.5 0.0 2 3 2 Second Team All-ACC; Led team in tackles; Team Captain Total: (50/29) 252 7.5 2.5 6 15 8 HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 5101 191 29 5/8 08 3/4 72 3/4 4.69 2.69 1.63 33 10’01” - - 18 (no shuttles or 3-cone – choice)

PRO DAY 4.70 2.65 1.65 - - 4.18 7.20 - (stood on Combine jumps and bench)

STRENGTHS: Enjoys getting physical in run support…looks for the jarring hit and throws his body around…most comfortable in a high-to-low role, mirroring and squaring up backs…slices through the line of scrimmage to disrupt the backfield action…quick reflexes and doesn’t play passive…rangy ball skills and makes diving interceptions look basic…two-year team captain with sterling football character and trusted leadership traits…well-versed on special teams coverages including a blocked field goal as a senior.

WEAKNESSES: Undersized and occasionally plays like it…tight ends tower over him in man coverage…lacks the length to recover when he arrives too hot, missing tackles…needs to tighten his angles in the middle of the field…route anticipation is average-at-best, getting burned when he vacates his zone…lacks the long-speed to close the gap in pursuit…makes plays in front of him, but needs to expand his tunnel vision…lack of size leads to durability concerns, missing two games as a senior due to a hamstring issue (September 2018).

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Miami (Fla.), Johnson entered the starting lineup as a sophomore safety and led the team in tackles as a junior and senior, earning defensive MVP honors in 2018. He was described as the “heart and soul” of the Hurricanes and the type of leader the other 10 players on the field look to for guidance. Johnson plays quick and decisive and covers a lot of ground, accounting for 14 turnovers (eight interceptions, six forced fumbles) in 29 starts. He is an eager run defender with the toughness required for downhill work, although his overaggressive appetite and lack of length lead to mistakes. Overall, Johnson is the type of tone-setter who affects the game with his passion and intangibles, but his lack of ideal size and speed will create limitations in the pro game, projecting as a special teamer and back-up safety.

GRADE: 6th Round

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

19. JAQUAN JOHNSON | Miami (Fla.) 5101 | 191 lbs. | SR. Miami, Fla. (Killian) 11/6/1996 (age 22.48) #21 B

BACKGROUND: A four-star safety recruit out of high school, Jaquan Johnson played running back and defensive back at Miami Killian (where he was teammates with fellow University of Miami safety prospect Sheldrick Redwine) before choosing to focus only on defense his junior and senior seasons. He earned First Team All-State honors three times and is one of only a few players to earn First Team All-Dade County honors four times. Johnson was considered a top-10 safety nationally and committed to hometown Miami over Florida and Florida State. He accepted his invitation to the 2019 Senior Bowl. YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES 2015: (13/0) 26 0.0 0.0 1 1 1 2016: (13/5) 38 3.0 1.5 0 3 1 2017: (13/13) 96 3.0 1.0 3 8 4 Second Team All-American; Second Team All-ACC; Led team in tackles and interceptions; Team Captain 2018: (11/11) 92 1.5 0.0 2 3 2 Second Team All-ACC; Led team in tackles; Team Captain Total: (50/29) 252 7.5 2.5 6 15 8 HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 5101 191 29 5/8 08 3/4 72 3/4 4.69 2.69 1.63 33 10’01” - - 18 (no shuttles or 3-cone – choice)

PRO DAY 4.70 2.65 1.65 - - 4.18 7.20 - (stood on Combine jumps and bench)

STRENGTHS: Enjoys getting physical in run support…looks for the jarring hit and throws his body around…most comfortable in a high-to-low role, mirroring and squaring up backs…slices through the line of scrimmage to disrupt the backfield action…quick reflexes and doesn’t play passive…rangy ball skills and makes diving interceptions look basic…two-year team captain with sterling football character and trusted leadership traits…well-versed on special teams coverages including a blocked field goal as a senior.

WEAKNESSES: Undersized and occasionally plays like it…tight ends tower over him in man coverage…lacks the length to recover when he arrives too hot, missing tackles…needs to tighten his angles in the middle of the field…route anticipation is average-at-best, getting burned when he vacates his zone…lacks the long-speed to close the gap in pursuit…makes plays in front of him, but needs to expand his tunnel vision…lack of size leads to durability concerns, missing two games as a senior due to a hamstring issue (September 2018).

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Miami (Fla.), Johnson entered the starting lineup as a sophomore safety and led the team in tackles as a junior and senior, earning defensive MVP honors in 2018. He was described as the “heart and soul” of the Hurricanes and the type of leader the other 10 players on the field look to for guidance. Johnson plays quick and decisive and covers a lot of ground, accounting for 14 turnovers (eight interceptions, six forced fumbles) in 29 starts. He is an eager run defender with the toughness required for downhill work, although his overaggressive appetite and lack of length lead to mistakes. Overall, Johnson is the type of tone-setter who affects the game with his passion and intangibles, but his lack of ideal size and speed will create limitations in the pro game, projecting as a special teamer and back-up safety.

GRADE: 6th Round

That is 250 words. I can do it in much less.

Best case scenario: Gunner

Worst case: he is broken on the first day of contact in camp. 

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

All I can think is they want to spread the ball all over the place so no one can key on one play and everyone can contribute. It will also open up lanes for Josh to run and throw deep and with 3 TE's who can catch they feel JA will have a good safety valve.  They must be high on Foster, Zay  McKenzie and  Duke Williams  and  feel Cam Phillips, Ray Ray and DaMari Scott are better than what was available. (Harmon, Johnson, Sills)  It will be interesting to see what happens in RD 7 and UDFA. They may see what's left and feel they can let the competition, injuries and camp sort it out.  

• Like (+1) 1