Dion Dawkins- on the hot seat?

NewEra

48 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Im higher on Spencer Long than a lot of people here, except for a few. He can play, and to me he is not a natural center. He started at right guard for three years at Nebraska before he was a third round pick. He's a really strong phone booth player, he isn't about quickness. He sat the bench in Washington for a year and was penciled in as their starting right guard. After drafting Brandon Scherff in the top ten to play RT, they decided to move Scherff to guard where he beat out Long. After that, Washington converted him to center and he played well which led to a big contract with the Jets. He struggled playing for O line coach Rick Dennison, and he was injured. He is not a zone player. It was a poor match from the start. I believe that the Bills need to let him compete at RG where he is most comfortable and let him play to his strengths. I think he wins then RG spot, and I believe Quinton Spain will be the left guard. I think Feliciano has a shot, but I don't think he is as talented as the others. Both Feliciano and Long can play center, though neither are natural centers. 

that'd be a nice bonus if Long came and won the job... 

• Like (+1) 1

2 starting tackle positions. Beane himself said that Cody Ford was drafted with the thoughts of him being on the right side. He said that doesn't mean he starts at RT but will compete for the position. 

I believe Ford will solidify the RT position in camp which means the only real competition will be between Nsekhe and Dawkins for the left side... I think McDermott knows there's something special brewing this season and will put Dawkins at the guard position (which most fans want him at anyway). 

The 2nd battle will be between Teller and Spain... I dont see the other players as competition. They will serve as depth...

My guess will be:

LT Nsekhe

LG Spain

C Morse

RG Dawkins

RT Ford

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc said:

After drafting Ford, who they are pencilling-in at RT, I think Nsekhe is just there in case Dawkins doesn't improve and in case of injury to either OT.  I still think they want Dawkins to be their LT. 

This is technically true but not completely.  Beane said RT will be his 1st position, BUT that doesn't mean he will be running with the 1's.  So to me, it's about if Ford can handle that spot.  If he can then I wouldn't be surprised if there is a competition at LT.  In any case, I think the only solidified spot at this point is C.

Edited by NewEraBills

16 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If anyone listened to Beane's presser last night, I would say that they still have Dawkins penciled in as the starter at LT. Which agree with. I assume that they were unhappy with his play at the end of the season and after Bobby Johnson watched film, Johnson must feel he can help Dion. Dawkins is very naturally gifted with long arms and good agility. He's a left tackle until he proves he can't do it. 

He essentially said this in his interview with Simon on GR this morning.  Howard asked him specifically if Dawkins might be considered as a guard.  Beane said that he would start at left tackle, but certainly made it clear that there will be a competition and that he could be moved inside if that is how it plays out.  So it's his job to keep as the incumbent, but no guarantees.

He also did say Ford would start out at right tackle, but he could play guard as well.  Except for center, the competition for the other four spots should be very strong.

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBob said:

He essentially said this in his interview with Simon on GR this morning.  Howard asked him specifically if Dawkins might be considered as a guard.  Beane said that he would start at left tackle, but certainly made it clear that there will be a competition and that he could be moved inside if that is how it plays out.  So it's his job to keep as the incumbent, but no guarantees.

He also did say Ford would start out at right tackle, but he could play guard as well.  Except for center, the competition for the other four spots should be very strong.

Key word is competition.  I really hope he has to compete and win his job, unlike his first 2 years.  First year, he lost to Jordan Mills. 2nd year there was no competition. I think Nsekhe gives him a run for his money, although they may see him as most valuable as swing tackle, similar to Groy 2 years ago, not being able to compete with Ducasse for RG because he was more valuable as backup

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Key word is competition.  I really hope he has to compete and win his job, unlike his first 2 years.  First year, he lost to Jordan Mills. 2nd year there was no competition. I think Nsekhe gives him a run for his money, although they may see him as most valuable as swing tackle, similar to Groy 2 years ago, not being able to compete with Ducasse for RG because he was more valuable as backup

Last year there was NO competition for the LT spot....nothing to really challenge Dawkins at all....that is not the case this year.

This is a good thing

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Last year there was NO competition for the LT spot....nothing to really challenge Dawkins at all....that is not the case this year.

This is a good thing

For sure, that’s my point.  Everything has been handed to him so far.  

I think he can be a fine LT, I just question how bad he wants it and if he’s willing to put in the work to make it happen.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think a guy like Nsekhe with his experience can be both the starter and the swing tackle. If say he starts and Ford starts and Ford goes down, then Dawkins comes in at LT and Nsekhe goes to RT. A guy like Groy, without the game and years experience, needs the practice on both sides so in theory at least, its smarter for him to not start but be able to fill in if a guard or center goes down. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think a guy like Nsekhe with his experience can be both the starter and the swing tackle. If say he starts and Ford starts and Ford goes down, then Dawkins comes in at LT and Nsekhe goes to RT. A guy like Groy, without the game and years experience, needs the practice on both sides so in theory at least, its smarter for him to not start but be able to fill in if a guard or center goes down. 

While Ducasse was getting put on his asse week after week I would’ve rather seen you out there over Ducasse.  Whether or not you knew how to play RG or not 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If anyone listened to Beane's presser last night, I would say that they still have Dawkins penciled in as the starter at LT. Which agree with. I assume that they were unhappy with his play at the end of the season and after Bobby Johnson watched film, Johnson must feel he can help Dion. Dawkins is very naturally gifted with long arms and good agility. He's a left tackle until he proves he can't do it. 

Yep, Eps.

Again, as a result of the article after the season I truly believe that Dawkins has learned his lesson.  He took for granted his role as a pro and thought he could just show up.  He is immensely talented and can do better and has expressed his desire to do better.

• Like (+1) 2