Dion Dawkins- on the hot seat?

NewEra

What a difference one year can make.  Last year he was our young stud 2nd year franchise LT.  We had trade his successor in the prime of his career to make room for him on the blind side.  Then the 2018 season happened.  He struggled without Ritchie on his right.  The OL as a whole, was an abomination.  Most games I caught myself thinking “why would we ever run the ball behind this line”. Every shady rush attempt was met with a brick wall.  In my recollection, minus Josh Allen’s running, we had the worst running game I’ve ever seen over the course of the year.  We went from having a very good running game to the worst.  

EDIT:  hot seat = In danger of losing his currently seat, which is starting left tackle.  I don’t think he’ll be cut. 

2019 offseason begins.  Spencer long (3 year 12.6 mill, 1.2 gtd) was added in January.  Solid player in the past, but didn’t have a good 2018 season.  Maybe because he was out of postion at center? Scheme fit? Maybe both.  I viewed him as a backup that can swing between G and Center.  

Then comes the new cornerstone of our OL Mitch Morse 4 year 44.5 mill, 26.17 gtd) Stud Center will be huge for Allen’s success.  Not much more to say, but he instantly makes our OL better.  Hopefully he can stay away from injury.

a Day later, we sign Ty Nsekhe 2 year 10 mill.  1.5 mill dead cap of cut after the year) and John Feliciano (2 year 7.25 mill, 3.9 gtd, 750k dead cap after a year)  2 former backups that have produced when called upon.   Both on team friendly contracts that allow us to move on if they don’t perform.  Both hungry player looking for their break and a chance to start.  Both better than Jordan Mills, Miller and Ducasse. We keep getting better.

LaAdrian Waddle is next. 1 year 2 mill.400k gtd.  He was a very solid backup for the world champs and our nemesis.  Probably not going to be a game changer, but again, a career backup with a legit chance to start with little gtd money.

Then comes Quinten Spain (1 year 2.05 mill, 200k gtd).  Played at a high level prior to 2018, but took a step back last year.  He thought he was gonna get paid.  He settled for competing for a starting spot.  Looks to be our best guard at the moment of his signing. 

At this point we’ve signed 2 OTs, 3 guards and a center.  The OL is looking much better.  But how good are feliciano and and long?  They can be legit starting guards?  Will Spain bounce back?  Big questions.  All 3 could be slightly above serviceable. They could also be equal to the garbage we put there last year.  Long and Spain didn’t play much better than our guards last year.  

Nsekhe looks to be a clear upgrade at either tackle spot.  He prefers playing LT and says he’s better there, but we have our “young stud franchise LT” already.  That young stud took 10 penalties last year and was part of the problem along the OL.  He didn’t play much better than Mills.  He gets a pass and is still regarded as our LT because he’s the incumbent, a second rd pick that’s still improving. But is he really any better than he was last because we have Spain playing next to him?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  So keep Dawkins at LT and Nsekhe goes to RT, unless Waddle can show that he can compete with Dawkins.  Unlikely imo.  

Enter Cody Ford in a trade up in rd 2.  I had him in the top 20.  He offers versatility wit the ability to play RT or guard.  He’s. A nasty run blocker with solid pass pro.  Good mobility and athlete.  I think he’s probably our 2nd or 3rd best OL behind Morse and possibly Nsekhe.  The question is, where does he play?  Sounds like he’s going to compete at RT.  With Nsekhe?  

Hmmmm.  Now we have 2 of our top 3 (or 4) OL battle it out for the same spot.  Good for competition.....but is it the right thing in order to build the best OL possible? If Ford was drafted to be our RT of the future, why not move Nsekhe to the position he likes most,  the position he’s most comfortable playing?  Let him battle Dawkins for the LT position.  Neither Nsekhe or Ford contributed to the abomination of an OL we had last year. 

When we drafted Dawkins, I didn’t know much about him.  He was listed as a guard on the tv screen while watching the draft.  The. I read here that he’s going to be our future RT.  He was to battle Jordan Mills for the spot.....and he lost.  To Jordan Mills.  Glenn gets hurt and he filled in admirably at LT.  Then Glenn is traded and Dawkins has no competition.  He’s the man on the OL.  This is his OL.....and they were putrid.  He wasn’t much better than his teammates along the OL.  

So, talent wise, it looks as if Morse is our leader and best player.  He’s our center. Our next best OL asset is Ford, who was drafted to be our RT.  He had a 1st rd grade imo.  He’s our best option at RT going forward imo.  Next best OL would be Nsekhe followed by Dawkins.  Both fighting for the same spot.  Let them battle it out.  If Dawkins wins, he’s our LT and Nsekhe is our swing tackle.  Nsekhe doesn’t really play guard, so we have one of our top 4 OL on the bench.  If Nsekhe wins, Dawkins is our swing tackle?  I don’t think that’s the best usage of our OL talent.  Dawkins has experience playing guard and, according to most, was projected to be a better fit at Guard than Tackle. So give him a shot at guard,  let him battle it out with Spain, long, feliciano and Teller.  

That will put Dawkins in a legit competition throughout training camp.  First with Nsekhe and if he loses he’s gets another shot bs a bunch of hungry vets.  As a Bill, he’s had one competition.  He lost to Jordan Mills.  He was gifted the starting LT spot after performing well filling I for Cordy.  Now we’ve added 2 tackles that can legitimately challenge him.  We’ve added several guards that can do the same.  We should do just that.  Challenge him.  Let him win a competition and prove that he deserves to be a bodyguard for our franchise, Josh Allen.  It’s up to you Dion.

Im just SO excited to have a running game again.  While it’s not a sure thing, I’m confident that the additions on the OL will allow us to do so much more on offense.

sorry for the long post,

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

If the Bills are serious about building a nasty line, they will go with:

Nsekhe, Dawkins, Morse, Spain, Ford

I'm saying it now, if Dawkins is the LT over Nsekhe, this team isn't serious about open competition an building the best line.

I agree that this looks like the best OL on paper,  The unit that is the most talented.  I don’t think we should start out with Dawkins at guard. I think they should let all these guys compete and let the best man win.  If they just move Dawkins inside from the start, we could be thin at tackle.  He’s also going to be pissed.  Can waddle backup right and left tackle efficiently?

The competition is healthy and brings out the best.  If we can’t bring out the best in Dawkins, he’s just another guy,

5 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I'm saying it now, if Dawkins is the LT over Nsekhe, this team isn't serious about open competition an building the best line.

Seeing that potential line in writing gets me very excited.

Nsekhe 6' 8", 325 lb

Dawkins 6' 5", 320 lb

Morse 6' 6", 305 lb

Spain 6' 5", 335 lb

Ford 6' 4" 329

Time to get nasty upfront!

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I think I will wait for camp before making such a decision and such a statement.  

I think it is dumb to say if player X does not win there was not a competition.

• Like (+1) 3

One of the toughest jobs in preseason is going to be sorting out a starting offensive line.  Fortunately the guy making the decision will have fresh eyes & won't be tied to any of the players.  He & McDermott will decide on the best 5 and who will be the backups.  What a difference a season makes!  Last year the starters were chosen as the lessors of multiple evils.  This year there will be real competition among some pretty talented players.  Guys who are still on the roster like Vlad should be expecting a pink slip soon & Teller should get ready to compete for a practice squad spot or a team in the XFL.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

So Dawkins can't beat-out Nsekhe?  That's presumptuous, and I like Nsekhe. 

I think he is on the hot seat, that they are bringing in competition and want him to earn his spot. That's good imo. He needed a push and a new line coach and we got both. If he doesn't win the competition at LT he's gone imo. I don't think they are just going to move him to guard. He deserves an opportunity to fight for his spot and I just can't fathom replacing my hand picked just turned 25 year old tackle with a soon to be 34 year old swing tackle tag who had a few nice blocks against Jadeveon Clowney. 

Dion has not yet proven that he can't play LT. He's been up and down. Yes he destroyed guys in his 6 plays at guard his rookie season, but that doesn't mean he is a guard. He has great feet and super long arms. The only think that screams guard is his height, and to me that doesn't matter much. 

Until Dion proves that he can't play tackle, don't move him. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

They've certainly made a point in making sure they bring all kinds of alternatives. Dion better bring it at camp.

...safe to say McDermott issued TWO wake ups calls last year to Foster & Zay........Foster certainly heeded the message and Zay tepidly did......with the 2019 talent brought in, BOTH should understand that 2019 is a new year......sure as hell have to believe Dawkins "gets the message"......53 coveted spots at OBD and 1,696 league wide makes it a privileged membership.....show up or pack up.....

• Like (+1) 1