SI's Benoit: Oliver pick gets a C

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...it's one guy's opinion.....was there TOTAL alignment here behind Oliver in ALL of the posted TBD mocks?.....nope......a multitude of assessments whether yes, no or maybe at 9, trading up, trading down, etc...Jesus.....

I’m talking about biscuit beefing with teef and 73 and such

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m talking about biscuit beefing with teef and 73 and such

..know EXACTLY what you meant....did not want to add fuel to the fire......made a feeble attempt to get thread back on track, but not sure why the hell I bothered....once the "pillow fight in the playpen" starts, forget it..........

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/27/2019 at 8:41 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....sure hope Andy doesn't quit his day job...........

I don’t agree with this particular take, but I regard Benoit as one of the 2 or 3 best football writers in the country. They all have to do these stupid grades to genereate views. Don’t judge him on that. All draft grades one week after the draft are by definition moronic, but people eat it up. That’s why they’re published.

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I remember when Benoit tweeted that Smith-Schuster's block on Burfict was 'thuggish' and worse than what Gronkowski did to White...he's just not very smart.

No, he’s actually really, really good. Read some of his analytical pieces. 

• Like (+1) 1

I understand his take, and we should expect this from national writers, although Benoit is actually not a bad analyst; sure he, like every other writers, gets things terribly wrong at times, almost buffoonish, in fact, but his premise, reading between the context of his statement is at least palatable.  I'm a Bills Mafia member true and blue, love my team, but I'm also, (Or try to be) objective.  We did NOT specifically "need" a DT, even one to replace Kyle, however, then one must show consistency in how GM's approach the draft.  Is it a false dichotomy?  Is it one or the other, draft for need, or draft BPA, all the time, every time?  I suspect it's a little of both for most GM's.  This years draft lined up perfectly in that, we got a top 3 player at a position of need, at great value.  Do we need Oliver?  Any Bills fan will tell you that replacing the production of Kyle would be no easy task, and many of us, including myself absolutely KNEW that Oliver sitting there at 9 was going to be the pick.  It was a good pick because it was firstly, safe, for need, and excellent value.

Benoits opinion on the matter, although understandable, is not taking any of those factors into account.  Sure we could have gotten our pick of edge rusher, but then Benoits argument would be the same for that position as well.  We have edge rushers, a lot of them, would he say the same out our pick if it had been a DE at 9?  Judging by his premise, he'd have top give a grade of C..  Beane made the right pick, and Benoits take is at the margins, in fact I'm not sure anyone else in the media has said we made a mistake?  Outlier opinions are just that.  It does question Benoits sincerity, if not his overall credibility by not thinking it through.  I like Benoit, but as I stated, they all get it terribly wrong some of the time.  :)

Tim-

At 9 I dont think it was debatable who the best player remaining was.  They would be leaving alot to chance to assume Harrison and Jordan Phillps could replace K Willaims production from disruptiveness from the 3 technique position.  Oliver should be able to step in and make an impact day 1.  His speed to power is rare from the position.  By all accounts he is a slam dunk at 9.  

8 hours ago, D521646 said:

We did NOT specifically "need" a DT, even one to replace Kyle,

“The three-tech was probably the one, losing Kyle Williams (to retirement), that if you were going to pick a hole that we really wanted to come out of there with, we did. We didn’t know if it would fall our way, but we were sure thrilled that Ed Oliver was there at nine.”

http://blog.siriusxm.com/buffalo-bills-brandon-beane-ed-oliver-university-of-houston-nfl-draft/

On 4/27/2019 at 8:33 AM, Niagara Dude said:

Wow! i hate to see what he thinks of our other picks because Oliver was the best ,  our last two picks will be off the roster once Sean and Beane are fired.  Like is Sean going to keep 7-8 RB'S on this team.

I didn't give you a "meh" because I disagree with your post (although I don't agree with the premise- obviously); I gave it to you because what you're trying requires a certain artistic skill that you just don't seem to have.  

This take by Benoit confounds me, because the guy does a ton of film work and seems at times to know what he's talking about.  But this analysis in particular really exposes a complete lack of understanding of McD's scheme and how perfect a fit Oliver is in that defense.  It also ignores the departure of Kyle and the fact that Horrible Harry really hasn't proven anything yet.  Yes, edge rusher is also a concern opposite Hughes, but if you're getting a dynamic, disrupt-the-middle player like Oliver that need is lessened somewhat.

We've all got to learn to just take these "analyst" opinions with a huge grain of salt and let the play on the field dictate our opinions.