SI's Benoit: Oliver pick gets a C

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ah!  Glad you ask.  He gave the Bills a C+ for Josh Allen and the Cardinals an A- for Josh Rosen.

To do him some credit, he did correctly call out Josh Allen's mobility as an underlooked factor and correctly call out inconsistent ball placement as a gap in Allen's game.

About Rosen he said " the most polished QB in this draft " and "Rosen was an acute field-reader at UCLA and plays a timing-and-rhythm brand of football, which usually translates well to the pros. It’s one reason he’s known for his ability to throw receivers open. He is a great fit for offensive coordinator Mike McCoy"

Time will tell.

To provide some factual substrate for further discussion, here are the stats of each rookie QB normalized to 16 games:

image.thumb.png.24c8f666a95414ce12aa2545edc9031e.png

This is what I thought it was without having to do a Google search.

Swing and miss!

He sucks. You know who I like? Matt Miller!

I’d give the the 3rd round picks a C but giving the Oliver one makes no sense.  It was our best pick in years. 

44 minutes ago, billspro said:

Benoit hates Allen and hates the Bills. I had to unfollow him on twitter because he says things just to rile up the Billsmafia and get views.

You really are this sensitive?  If a guy doesn’t love everything the Bills does, he’s a hater?  Grow a pair.  He could be wrong but it’s his opinion and I guarantee he doesn’t hate the Bills. 

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Wow! i hate to see what he thinks of our other picks because Oliver was the best ,  our last two picks will be off the roster once Sean and Beane are fired.  Like is Sean going to keep 7-8 RB'S on this team.

giphy-downsized.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

I think Oliver was great value and as soon as he fell to us, I knew we would take him (regardless). I think he has a chance to be a very good player for us and his attitude has been a breath of fresh air. The grade for this pick is a point of contention but I do not totally disagree with the premise. I actually also felt like DT was far from a need and felt we already had some big time assets invested into the position. Between Star, Harry and Phillips, I think we were in pretty solid shape at the position. We also often move The Lorax around and at times kick him in to add some speed from inside. I do believe we needed to add to the pass rush and if Oliver can do that from the inside, then that’s great. I’m not upset with the pick at all. I understand the way the draft fell, it was hard to pass up on a top 5 talent. We also at least needed depth at the position. I’m totally on board with Oliver and I think the grade is certainly to low....I just don’t want to kill a guy for thinking DT wasn’t a priority. I can’t kill him because I don’t completely disagree with it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He sucks. You know who I like? Matt Miller!

I’d give the the 3rd round picks a C but giving the Oliver one makes no sense.  It was our best pick in years. 

You really are this sensitive?  If a guy doesn’t love everything the Bills does, he’s a hater?  Grow a pair.  He could be wrong but it’s his opinion and I guarantee he doesn’t hate the Bills. 

I don’t have to follow people on Twitter that don’t come out with good information. I’m all for intelligent discussions, it won’t ever happen with that guy. I don’t waste my time with people like that. 

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think Oliver was great value and as soon as he fell to us, I knew we would take him (regardless). I think he has a chance to be a very good player for us and his attitude has been a breath of fresh air. The grade for this pick is a point of contention but I do not totally disagree with the premise. I actually also felt like DT was far from a need and felt we already had some big time assets invested into the position. Between Star, Harry and Phillips, I think we were in pretty solid shape at the position. We also often move The Lorax around and at times kick him in to add some speed from inside. I do believe we needed to add to the pass rush and if Oliver can do that from the inside, then that’s great. I’m not upset with the pick at all. I understand the way the draft fell, it was hard to pass up on a top 5 talent. We also at least needed depth at the position. I’m totally on board with Oliver and I think the grade is certainly to low....I just don’t want to kill a guy for thinking DT wasn’t a priority. I can’t kill him because I don’t completely disagree with it.

Your analysis misses the point, Oliver is a 3T and Harry is not.  Maybe a poor man’s 3T but more likely to line up over the center.

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

Your analysis misses the point, Oliver is a 3T and Harry is not.  Maybe a poor man’s 3T but more likely to line up over the center.

My point is between the 3 guys I mentioned and the $ and high picks we already have invested..DT was probably not the place we HAD to spend a top 10 pick on. Again, I am excited about Oliver. We certainly needed at least 1 more guy to throw into the rotation. I just can understand how someone feels this way. I also realize the way the draft fell to us, Oliver was a no brainer. I wanted Hock but once he was gone, I knew we wouldn’t pass on Ed.

3 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

This take just exposes how little he understands our roster and scheme. 

He has every right to make his judgement call.  Not everyone need to praise the Bills for their picks.  Everyone's view is different.

4 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

This take just exposes how little he understands our roster and scheme. 

Or how much this board over-values all things Bills.

Every pick is an "A".  Every off-season is won.  Every draftee is going to be amazing and none of them will ever bust.

Watch when people start giving record predictions days before the start of the season.  Most will have us in the playoffs with 10 and more wins.

Meanwhile, back in this place called reality, this organization hasn't won a playoff game in nearly a quarter-century.  

So which is it again please?

4 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

He just wants to be "that guy"...

2019 social media outlets know that negativity becomes more of a headline than positivity...

So....he gave every teams first round pick a “C” as well?

5 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

https://amp-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.si.com/nfl/2019/04/25/buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-picks-selections-grades-list-analysis?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F04%2F25%2Fbuffalo-bills-nfl-draft-picks-selections-grades-list-analysis

Gives us B's and an A- for the other picks, but had an interesting take on the Oliver pick:

Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

Andy Benoit's grade: C

"Most likely, the Bills saw this as a value pick. And after signing Star Lotulelei for big money in free agency last year, to pair with 2018 third-rounder Harrison Phillips and gifted (though mercurial) ex-Dolphin Jordan Phillips, they didn’t have a glaring need at defensive tackle. But outside, they badly need an edge rusher, as 2016 first-rounder Shaq Lawson is not that guy and Jerry Hughes could be in his last year with the club. That said, you can make room for a dynamic gap penetrator. Oliver relies on quickness and elusiveness within confined areas, which is a unique style of play. But considering his having had an up-and-down 2018 season and Buffalo not badly needing a defensive tackle, overall this is a high-risk, high-reward pick for a team looking to add talent in multiple places."

Moron take. Oliver is a franchise player.  What, your going to skip out on a franchise player because of Jordan Phillips?

Idiot