WR situation is like going in with Peterman as starter last year

The way Foster came on during last year and the additions of Brown and Cole the WR group has been dramatically improved  compared to the start of last year.  And as bad as last years group produced it was not all the the WRs.  The OL was not to great as the QB situation was less than ideal either.  JA did not get a preseason to prepare as the starter and was thrown in.  

With this years WR draft class Im glad they did not use top picks on the position.  Other teams showed that they did not think too much of the WR draft class either  first WR off the board at # 15 and the second at #32.  I feel better with the 2 FA pick-ups that I would with the 2 WRs that came off the board in the 1st round.  

I get that forums are for discussion but threads like this are are a little silly.

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Maybe you should get your head out of the sand,  look at the great teams in this league. Passing game and making big plays down the field is a huge part of their success.

Josh Allen averaged the longest pass per attempt last season and we added John Brown. I’m pretty sure that won’t drop off. Go ahead and flame away and be negative about that move. Brown is a decent player. Not a number 1 but a good player. We have the boys to get downfield. Also if you heard Beane in his presser they want to run and Play action. So this draft is exactly geared in that direction. 

If if you are upset that we took Cody Ford in round 2 then I just don’t even know where to start with you. If Josh Allen has 5 seconds to throw then he will be doing terrific this season. Also McCoy is possibly getting to 12,000 this year with this line. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I share the OP's concern, but he exaggerates. They took a high risk/reward TE and a slow RB that runs on willpower. We'll see. I knew a small guy when I was young that could literally lift a car engine by hand. Maybe Singletary is one of those guys. They use lighter weights for the bench press rather than something like clean and jerk. Still... A 4.66 40? Oliver could do that with the wind at his back.

Edited by GreggTX

3 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

It is the train wreck everyone sees coming.

TBD needs to add a section on how not to post while under the influence of drugs/alcohol. It would prevent a lot of this idiotic "contribution."

1 minute ago, aceman_16 said:

TBD needs to add a section on how not to post while under the influence of drugs/alcohol. It would prevent a lot of this idiotic "contribution."

We’re trying. There appears to be some kinks in the breathalyzer/chemical content software we’re utilizing. If a perp uses gloves while typing, it sends an ‘Incomplete’ signal back. 

These kids today. So shrewd..

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Well, yes, but there would be much less participation.

• Haha (+1) 1

Dawkins/Nseke

Spain/Teller

Morse/Long

Long/Feliciano

Ford/Waddle

TE 

Croft

Dawson

Croom

WR

Zay

Brown

Beasley

Foster

Williams/McKenzie

low round draft pick

I just don’t see the argument for this unless it was Hollywood Brown in the 1st which we obviously didn’t do because we went with Ed Oliver. 

Maybe we we can pull of Hakeem Butler or Emmanuel Hall. Otherwise we still could trade I suppose. But that probably won’t happen unless there’s a legit all star that Beane wants/can get. 

Also so I can’t see how the new offensive line talent doesn’t give you a massive football bonner. Like my prostate hurts it’s so massive. Freaking get ready for some W’s boys!

Edited by Fred Slacks

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand the desire for attention and the need for hyperbole to drive it, but this is just wrong on so many ways.

Peterman, at the start of last season was rocking 49% completion, 63 ypg, 5 INT, and 2 TD pass (that's a TD/INT ratio of 0.4 where greater than 1.8 is acceptable).

He was a former 5th round draft choice who had shown absolutely no ability whatsoever to play in the pros.

Allen managed to generate 172 ypg and 53% completions on offense last year throwing to Zay Jones, Robert Foster, Kelvin "Oopsie!" Benjamin, and Jason Croom behind a rather porous OL which posed little rushing threat.  Both Cole Beasley and John Brown are genuine NFL-level players.  People seem to think well of Dawson Knox as a blocker and to feel Ole Miss has minimal passing game and a lot of hosses competing for time.

Would it be better if we drafted the second coming of AJ Green or Julio Jones?  Sure it would. 

As for the rest: the overall success rate of 3rd round picks in the NFL is something like 30%.   If teams cheat towards the LOS, it is not the deep throw (a play which takes time to develop ) but the short pass completion that must make them pay and back them off.  It is not incidental that several of the best, winningest QB in the NFL have relatively low air yards per completion and relatively high YAC in their career.

Is it appropriate to analogize our WR to starting Peterman?  I think the above makes clear: No, no it is not.

Allen finished with 2000 yards passing last year. Receiver was a major issue (as was OL), but as the QB, Allen takes all the flak for their flaws. As far as I’m concerned this coaching staff and front office has set him up to fail over and over again.

You give all the first team reps to Peterman, then throw Allen into the fire in the 2nd half of Week 1. They failed to properly address OL, WR, and TE knowing they had a rookie QB going into last year. This is now 2 offseasons where they have failed to provide Allen with an adequate supporting cast. He looked like his confidence was nearly broken at the time of his injury last year. I hate that this team is going to let last year’s **** show around him happen again. Any success he has had so far has been in spite of the players, coaches and FO around him. 

If Allen fails, this team fails. Every time they apply their resources to defense or the running game when we are bottom of the NFL in passing just makes it more likely Allen will struggle. We were at the bottom of the NFL last year in offense and Allen was running for his life. This offense needs a lot of help and a bunch of journeymen signings don’t inspire a lot of confidence that this unit will be much better than a year ago. Weaknesses at OG, TE, RB, WR1 and WR2 remain going into this season. Bills are set at C, T, and WR3.

I agree completely with you and all posters disagreeing are homers. Just have to wait until the season starts to prove them wrong as usual. I mean 1 playoff year in 20 and it was a fluke yet still believe the Bills make great decisions. Allen is an inaccurate QB and as we saw last year no one could get separation, that is still a huge issue. I see another year with loads of INTs. We need to do what KC did with Hill/Hunt/Kelce/Watkins. Surround your young franchise QB with as many weapons as possible. Not a big fan of a slow RB either, have enough of those. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Troll Toll said:

Allen finished with 2000 yards passing last year. Receiver was a major issue (as was OL), but as the QB, Allen takes all the flak for their flaws. As far as I’m concerned this coaching staff and front office has set him up to fail over and over again.

You give all the first team reps to Peterman, then throw Allen into the fire in the 2nd half of Week 1. They failed to properly address OL, WR, and TE knowing they had a rookie QB going into last year. This is now 2 offseasons where they have failed to provide Allen with an adequate supporting cast. He looked like his confidence was nearly broken at the time of his injury last year. I hate that this team is going to let last year’s **** show around him happen again. Any success he has had so far has been in spite of the players, coaches and FO around him. 

If Allen fails, this team fails. Every time they apply their resources to defense or the running game when we are bottom of the NFL in passing just makes it more likely Allen will struggle. We were at the bottom of the NFL last year in offense and Allen was running for his life. This offense needs a lot of help and a bunch of journeymen signings don’t inspire a lot of confidence that this unit will be much better than a year ago. Weaknesses at OG, TE, RB, WR1 and WR2 remain going into this season. Bills are set at C, T, and WR3.

Over and over again?  He's been with the team for just a year.  And over the off-season they've completely rebuilt the OL and added some skill position players.

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Maybe the way the OP started the thread comes across bad but he has a point.  And before I get called a “hater” because I don’t praise every Bills pick, Oliver was my favorite Bills pick in years and while not my first choice, I like the Cody Ford choice, especially with his mindset.

but are we sure this regime can judge receiving talent:

- Jordan Matthews

- trading multiple picks for Kelvin Benjamin 

- trading up for Zay

- “discovering” Robert Foster at Alabama and then cutting him

and I like some of our guys but we don’t have a number 1 receiver or TE

- Brown, overpaid, 646 yards/ season

- Beasley, who I love, 467 yards/ season

- Kroft, 3rd stringer because he couldn’t beat out a guy with frying pans for hands, 165 yards/ season and averaged less than 10 yards per catch the last 3 years.

If you had Brady, maybe this group is good enough.  But for a young qb, this is not that good of group. I trust this regime a million percent on defense.  But honestly, they kinda suck at identifying receiving talent.  

You have no idea. 2017 was a weak year for qbs supposedly.  

I'm not sure this regime can judge talent at a number of positions - OL being one of them. 

You have a point that some of our acquisitions have not worked out, although a 3rd and 7th isn't quite the haul "multiple picks for Benjamin" implies

You left out giving up a 7th round pick and worse, $3.5M guaranteed salary in a tight-cap year for Corey Coleman then cutting him less than a month later, and also signing Anquan Boldin for 13 whole days before he walked out of camp and retired.

Zay improved last year.  I still have hopes for him.  He improved his catch % to the bottom edge of acceptable, played 16 games, and pretty much drew the attention of a #1 WR as teams figured out they could safely ignore Benjamin.

You mention cutting Robert Foster, but you don't mention that he was resigned, played 13 games, started 3, and led the Bills in YPG (still a low #, but still)

(Foster started out the year with very sloppy route running habits and I view cutting him as a "mule trained with loving kindness" kind of move.)

When we have plenty of cap room, pronouncing the players we did sign "overpaid" doesn't seem like a reasonable evaluator.  Let's look at the performance.

Including seasons where Brown only played 10 games due to injury in the "646 yds per season" doesn't seem like a very useful metric.  Brown had a very good season with a healthy, not cripped-up Carson Palmer throwing to a healthy Larry Fitz ahead of him.  With a fading Palmer behind a crap OL or Blaine Gabbert throwing to him, not so much.

I think what he did last year with LJax, 45-50 ypg, is probably more representative of a reasonable expectation at this point.  Why he's here is really to set an example of how to train, work, and prepare for each game, for the younger guys.  This is what they hoped Boldin and/or Benjamin would provide, but instead they retired in fact or in place.

You have some good points, but overall the phrasing and omissions seem chosen to paint the situation as more dire than perhaps it is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

I agree completely with you and all posters disagreeing are homers. Just have to wait until the season starts to prove them wrong as usual. I mean 1 playoff year in 20 and it was a fluke yet still believe the Bills make great decisions. Allen is an inaccurate QB and as we saw last year no one could get separation, that is still a huge issue. I see another year with loads of INTs. We need to do what KC did with Hill/Hunt/Kelce/Watkins. Surround your young franchise QB with as many weapons as possible. Not a big fan of a slow RB either, have enough of those. 

Funny how most analysts say Allen is set up for success & I would agree, despite scratching my head over the Singletary pick.  

(Most likely) 2019 Starters & Depth:

QB - Allen / Barkley

OT - Dawkins / Nsekhe / Waddle

G/C - Morse / Ford / Spain / Long 

TE - Kroft / Knox / Croom

WR - Brown / Foster / Beasley / Zay

RB - Shady / Gore / Singletary / Yeldon

FB - DiMarco

The only thing I see as a weakness is the lack of a true #1 WR.   (And that is a valid weakness to point out) 

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Over and over again?  He's been with the team for just a year.  And over the off-season they've completely rebuilt the OL and added some skill position players.

This is now two offseasons and they still don’t have a proven top flight receiver or TE he can count on. Teams transform completely in 2-3 years. I just don’t understand how they can’t prioritize getting the guy a strong supporting cast that complements his skillset. I hope Allen doesn’t get ruined or run out of town because the team failed him.

8 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I don’t think RB is a weakness at all.

Guard you have Long and Spain (no long wasn’t brought in to play back up center and yes he is a damn fine guard when healthy). TE I would say it’s as good as last season (possibly better cause Charles Clay was injured). 

WR is better than what we finished with last season. Could be better still yes. But no reason to think Josh can’t improve with the additions. 

Lastly you started the argument with Josh a Allen threw for 2,000 yards. He also missed multiple games and was probably not ready to go from the begging long. However the kid has the make up to succeed. If we run for over 2,500 yards and he passes for 3,500 yards then he is developing just nicely. Also we are playoff bound. 

2 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

This is now two offseasons and they still don’t have a proven top flight receiver or TE he can count on. Teams transform completely in 2-3 years. I just don’t understand how they can’t prioritize getting the guy a strong supporting cast that complements his skillset. I hope Allen doesn’t get ruined or run out of town because the team failed him.

Last year was about getting Allen and there weren't any amazing TE prospects (while they got a steal in Foster), and this wasn't the draft for getting a top-flight WR or TE. 

3 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

The guys they have now are all roughly #3 receivers, not even #2 guys. It was a disaster last year and it will be a disaster this year. Allen is going to have to run the ball himself again to move downfield.

All four receivers get separation.  Did you see anyone cover Foster since week 10 last year?  Nope.  Put up elite numbers.  Beasley gets crazy open, and Zay/Brown are both good players.  Daboll wanted a blue chip Oline, a good TE and an elusive young back.   He knows our WR's are good.

10 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

"Over and Over again" is more hyperbole - he's a second-year player and while mistaken, it was clear they actually felt he wouldn't start going into last season.

You seem a bit contradictory.  First of all, the off season isn't done yet.  We aren't even done with the draft.  Second, you want them to properly address OL - well, what does signing all those FA (including Mitch Morse from KC, who is not a journeyman) and drafting an OL in the 2nd round then constitute in your mind?  Third, that's where they traded back in after a TE.   If draft picks are being used on one position, they can't be used on another, that's just logic.

You write as though Allen's success was entirely limited by his supporting cast.  Allen was a work in progress throughout last season.  Kyle Williams pretty much came out and said on radio after the embarassing GB loss that Allen needed to learn how to prepare in the NFL week in week out (translation: put on a party hat after the Vikes smashing and didn't take it off and grind in his prep for GB as he needed to do).  Did Allen develop and show promise at times, yes, but at other times plays were there to be made with a better- placed throw or a better read, and he missed them.  This isn't intended to trash on Allen - he was a rookie, growing pains are expected, but let's not write a "Allen needs only a world-class supporting cast which the Bills have failed to provide to be great" script.

This is truly a moronic take. The WR's are 10 times better. You added two legit NFL receivers in John Brown and Cole Beasley. You have Foster coming back in year two after showing considerable development in year 1. They added other depth signings as well. Zay Jones goes from your #1 WR to your #3, at best. It's way better.

Yeah, we don't have a legit #1 elite receiver, but you can't fix everything in one off season.

1 hour ago, cage said:

I take the point and I liked AJ Brown as well.  However, we do have talent, coupled with a much improved OL and hopefully revitalization of the running game

In addition to the free agents who are all good players, we should expect improvement from Robert Foster.  I think he caught a spark and lights are turned on for him.  If we extrapolate his production in the last 7 games when he came back from the practice squad to a full season, its impressive.  Lets also assume a 10% improvement just from gaining a year of experience and going into that 2nd year.  That seems a reasonable baseline.  Coaches for years have told us that your biggest improvements come from last year's rookies.  If that stays true to form then his season might look something like this.  Is that #1 WR territory?

image.png.76eed11cc906feccc86fd2e6898f3483.png

Great points, cage.

Honesty goodness, I believe we are better at 8 positions on offense.  4 new offensive linemen, a TE, a WR, and with two existing positions including a renewed commitment by Dawkins and Allen I believe will improve on his own and with the cast around him.

if you want to throw in Zay and Foster?  Man, then things are looking so up.