WR situation is like going in with Peterman as starter last year

2 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

There was easily 1000+ yards of offense left on the field last year because we didn’t have guys that could reliably track and catch his deep passes.

I was going to ask why you are ignoring the addition of John Brown as a deep threat until I took a closer look at your screen name. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I created the topic and for the typical team I would agree with you. The difference is that we have Josh Allen. He can literally make any throw on the field from anywhere within ~85 yards. He has more potential as a passer than even Patrick Mahomes. On many teams the QBs don’t have the arms to take advantage of having #1 guys. Allen would maximize a big play receivers’ potential and said receiver would help maximize Josh’s potential. #1 receiver aside, we don’t even have a reliable deep threat like Andy Isabella to take advantage of Allen’s big arm.

Foster ran a 4.41 40 and brown ran a 4.31 40. They will give Allen plenty of opportunities to go deep. We're actually a lot deeper at wr than last year and we known what these guys can do at the nfl level. Not a given that a rookie would break out and kill it. I would have been fine with a wr drafted by now, but I think we're fine. No train wreck here and the sky is still up where it should be.

Edit: You said we'll make the playoffs this year. That is NOT happening without our wr's help. If our wr's are as bad as you claim, we're not making the playoffs.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Again they have at least two guys that can get down field fast in Foster and Brown, three if Williams pans out.  You are placing way too much emphasis on second round rookie WRs.

My emphasis is on guys that can finish the play. Running fast doesn’t mean they make the play.

8 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Keeping the receiving group from last year with no changes would have been more comparable to sticking with Peterman than this.

True, there is no number clear one receiver, but there are now four options that are Capable of 50+ catches in a year.    Our WR group was historically bad last year.  You are not going to get what the Rams and Chiefs have in just one off season.   You now have two veterans with good experience, an emerging Foster and Zay Jones even showed improvement.   That is far ahead of what we had at this time last year. 

The WR class is not strong in the draft and I have serious doubt that any receiver would have suddenly emerged as a Antonio Brown/ODB/Julio Jones caliber target right away.   If Foster or Jones don't emerge as a number one option, I have a feeling that Buffalo will get that needed receiver in the draft next year.  

Mark my words AJ Brown will be at least as good as Jarvis Landry.

4 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

I was going to ask why you are ignoring the addition of John Brown as a deep threat until I took a closer look at your screen name. 

Because he has failed to produce year after year. He is now on his third team for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

My emphasis is on guys that can finish the play. Running fast doesn’t mean they make the play.

Foster finished better as the season went on. That has never been suggested as a problem for Brown.  You want to free up the long passing game?  You give the QB protection, you give him a running game to bring safeties up so you can go play action behind them.  Give him some underneath options so guys can't just drop deep to defend.  

You want guys that just run downfield.  We have 2 or 3 already.

Edited by oldmanfan

44 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think the most stupid pick was the tiny RB who ran about 4.7 in 40,  Maholmes has guys who can make big plays on the outside and Allen has nothing.  I thought this draft would focus on getting Allen a couple of playmakers or at least one.  Fans on this board must have missed last season when announcers kept repeating how the Bills receivers could not get separation.  Other than the first round pick this draft was very disappointing and out offense will suffer this season because of it,  i am sorry but i am not interested in watching Allen take off and run 10-12 times a game or more because receivers are not open down the field.  This team does not even have a legit #2 receiver let alone a true #1/

If this was not an issue then why was Beane trying to trade for head case WR Brown,

13 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying they should have traded back into the 2nd and drafted a receiver that will maximize Allen’s talent. Brown, Metcalf, Isabella all could have done that. Foster is unreliable deep. He loses sight of the balls in the air, doesn’t have the extra gear to get his hands on the slight overthrows and bobbles every other deep pass.

I can only assume you two a) didn't see Foster play in the 2nd half of last season, b) have never seen John Brown play, and c) have never seen Cole Beasley play.  They can all get separation and even Beasley can get downfield.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

People keep forgetting about Duke Williams

Yup, Williams, Beasley, Foster, Jones, Brown, Tyler Kroft who catches well at TE.

I think the ball will be caught plenty by these guys, IMO Allen goes for 4500 and 30+ this year WR won't be an issue.

Comparing it like NP situation last year is nonsense and stupid!

48 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

If this was not an issue then why was Beane trying to trade for head case WR Brown, 

Because he’s smart enough to realize he would have been getting HOF talent at a fire sale price?

1 minute ago, Troll Toll said:

Williams was the number 1 receiver in the CFL last year, an extremely pass heavy league. Has had a couple years to mature past his college issues. Is certainly one of those guys that can track and high point a football down the field. Once Foster came back from being cut he was the most productive rookie wide receiver in the NFL over the last 7 games and was good for at least 1 big play per game. And you mentioned Allen making him looking good but he played with Barkley as well and had 3 catches for 105 yards.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can only assume you two a) didn't see Foster play in the 2nd half of last season, b) have never seen John Brown play, and c) have never seen Cole Beasley play.  They can all get separation and even Beasley can get downfield.

I read somewhere Beasley was a 3rd down machine for Dallas. Kind of like an Edelman/Welker guy. That will be tremendously helpful for Allen.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

John Brown’s 43% catch percentage puts him as almost the worst in the league, Robert Foster is marginally better at 60%. Michael Thomas topped the league at 85% for reference. As I’ve said, we need someone who can finish. Our receivers couldn’t finish deep last year and that will remain an issue this year despite the optics of signing a fast guy in John Brown.

With the FA pick ups, the situation isn't that dire imo.  John Brown and Cole Beasley were great additions.  Add to that the two WRs that we had last year that played okay (Zay and Foster) and we're okay.  Certainly not great, but definitely much better off than last year.  

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They. Are. Not. Top. Receiver. Prospects.  

They would have gone day one if that was the case.

And, this is precisely why your OP was hyperbole, a melodramatic overreaction. This is why no wide receivers were taken in the first two rounds. There was no BPA/value when they picked. Would you rather have Cody Ford or a WR rated lower? It’s just a bad year for them. A team can’t filll every single need in the first three rounds of a draft. Let it play out. The wide receiver corps will be just fine when the season starts

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it is safer to assume they did not get what they wanted and they are going to let everyone know how unhappy there are...over...and over...

Facts do not matter as much as the need to express their unhappiness

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, pop gun said:

I read somewhere Beasley was a 3rd down machine for Dallas. Kind of like an Edelman/Welker guy. That will be tremendously helpful for Allen.

He was.  And he should be.

1 minute ago, Troll Toll said:

John Brown’s 43% catch percentage puts him as almost the worst in the league, Robert Foster is marginally better at 60%. Michael Thomas topped the league at 85% for reference. As I’ve said, we need someone who can finish. Our receivers couldn’t finish deep last year and that will remain an issue this year despite the optics of signing a fast guy in John Brown.

Again Foster was a completely different receiver in the 2nd half of the season than the first half.  And catch percentage depends on a lot of factors, just like completion percentage does.

6 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

And, this is precisely why your OP was hyperbole, a melodramatic overreaction. This is why no wide receivers were taken in the first two rounds. There was no BPA/value when they picked. Would you rather have Cody Ford or a WR rated lower? It’s just a bad year for them. A team can’t filll every single need in the first three rounds of a draft. Let it play out. The wide receiver corps will be just fine when the season starts

Juju, Cooper Kupp, Michael Thomas, Jarvis Landry, Robert Woods are all top flight NFL receivers that were drafted recently in Round 2.

35 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They. Are. Not. Top. Receiver. Prospects.  

They would have gone day one if that was the case.

That's ridiculous. GMs are far from infallible. Some of the top receivers in the league were drafted day 2 and 3, including Antonio Brown in the 5th. Was he not a top prospect simply because GMs missed it?

Not supporting or defending the OPs premise, but what you said is simply not true.

Edited by Turk71

4 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Juju, Cooper Kupp, Michael Thomas, Jarvis Landry, Robert Woods are all top flight NFL receivers that were drafted recently in Round 2.

Fair point.  Although some are possession guys and not the deep threat you claim we need.

• Like (+1) 1