BillyWhiteShows

John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

39 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Zay is in the top hundred WRs in the world right now. 

Hmm. If he is it is by the skin of his teeth. He is, by my reckoning, the 4th best receiver on the Bills - not reknowned as a team staked with receiving talent. Repeated across the 32 NFL teams that would have him outside the top 100. That is before we factor in kids who are still in college who would start in the NFL already if they were eligibile to / had wanted to come out. 

Not that it devalues you point. That it isn't like comparing an amateur to the best in the world at something... but still... 

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Nearly 89 pages of this thing and it still all comes down to a simple issue no one can prove:

Group A:   Going into the 2016 offseason (after they fired Rex) the Bills were talented and a new coach/GM didn't need to tear down the roster.  They should have continued to build with Sammy, Dareus, re-signed Gilmore, kept Darby, and drafted Mahomes or Watson.  If they had done that we wouldn't be going into year 3 "hoping" things work out.

Group B:  A new coach and GM should have the right to mold a team in their image, and many players who were on the Bills' roster when McBeane arrived didn't fit what they want to build so they moved those players out and began a reshaping of the roster.  They drafted their QB a year later and have now completely overturned the personnel.  With solid drafts and lots of FA activity this offseason the team is poised to take a large step forward.

That's it.  Group A will never be proven right or wrong because what they want didn't happen.  If the Bills don't show marked improvement this season and become a regular playoff participant none of it will matter and Group B will be disappointed as well.

The biggest gripe I have in this whole discussion is with those who act as though McBeane are not following through on a specific plan -- as if they're just shooting from the hip and are clueless.  Whether you like or agree with the plan is irrelevant; there is most certainly a plan, and these are not stupid men.

Either option was possible.  Nobody is absolutely right or absolutely wrong.

Let's try and get another 50 pages out of this thing.

A. So what?  This is a discussion board and there is a lot of good discussion here.

B.  This is not even close to an accurate summary of the views expressed in this thread.

31 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. The Rams paid Cooks the same money that could have brought them Sammy ... but they also threw in their first round pick. They thought Cooks was worth a first-rounder more than Sammy was.

And based on production, they may well have underestimated that difference.

No, they did not pay Cooks the same money.

Cooks got the same $16M AAV, but he got $20M guaranteed over 5 years, while Watkins got $30M guaranteed over 3 years.

That's actually a HUGE difference.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

A. So what?  This is a discussion board and there is a lot of good discussion here.

B.  This is not even close to an accurate summary of the views expressed in this thread.

I think they have got close to eball's version of B in the last 30 pages or so...... (😂 yep, the last 30 pages folks....) ..... but you are right that is certainly not where the argument in B started out. It started as complete faith in the regime and theirs was the one true path and all none believers should be banished from the kingdom. I do think the debate has generally improved though. 

The thread should be renamed "The State of the Bills: 2019" because we have pretty much dissected and debated every one of the key decisions made by this regime from minute 1 and their impact on the present and future. I have enjoyed it. I just hope the thread doesn't fall tantilisingly short of 3 figures in page count....

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No, they did not pay Cooks the same money.

Cooks got the same $16M AAV, but he got $20M guaranteed over 5 years, while Watkins got $30M guaranteed over 3 years.

That's actually a HUGE difference.

I think Cooks got $50M guaranteed...