John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I think they will be better.... but it is absolutely possible that that they struggle again offensively, because again, IN MY OPINION, I didn't think they did enough on offense for Allen....

It's a message board brotha. Different opinions on the team are allowed.

Yep.  I offer mine in response to yours.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh I completely agree. That was where I started in this whole debate in respect of whether the Bills' approach to this rebuild was a choice.

I don't understand the issue of a choice or not. When McDermott took over the reigns he repeatedly publicly stated what he was going to do. It was going to be a complete rebuilding not only of the roster and restructuring the cap but also the organization. He had a vision of the type of people and players he wanted and quickly executed it. 

I understand that there were other approaches to take. That's as obvious as A is the first letter of the alphabet and Z is the last letter. No one  needs to be constantly reminded that there are different strategies to run an operation. From day one there was no deviation from what the new HC stated he was going to do. What's the point of rehashing the rehash? What's the point of ad nauseum haranguing about the same point that another approach could have been taken when we are entering into year three following the declared strategy made upon assuming the job? It gets to be tiresome.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

STOP SAYING NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT MY FAVORITE FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!?

It's just hypothetical thoughts based on my opinion of the football team. That's all. Sorry it bothers you.

Hypothetical thoughts don't bother me at all. They actually spur interesting conversation at times. 

But when those thoughts come off as incessant whining about the state of affairs and over several seasons to boot, they are more than just hypothetical thoughts and that tends to bother people. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Hypothetical thoughts don't bother me at all. They actually spur interesting conversation at times. 

But when those thoughts come off as incessant whining about the state of affairs and over several seasons to boot, they are more than just hypothetical thoughts and that tends to bother people. 

What isn't hypothetical is that the new coach in his first year took a stripped down team and made the playoffs for the first time in nearly a generation. That seems to be forgotten in the evaluation of this regime's performance in its young tenure. Chuck Knox is arguably the best coach that this franchise has had in its distinguished and not so distinguished history. Yet, in my opinion McDermott accomplished more with less in his inaugural year. You never here a peep about that from the snarling critics.  

No one is suggesting that this administration hasn't made mistakes. They certainly have. But if one is fair-minded and put things in perspective the overview is that they have done good job and have successfully laid the groundwork for more success. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What isn't hypothetical is that the new coach in his first year took a stripped down team and made the playoffs for the first time in nearly a generation. That seems to be forgotten in the evaluation of this regime's performance in its young tenure. Chuck Knox is arguably the best coach that this franchise has had in its distinguished and not so distinguished history. Yet, in my opinion McDermott accomplished more with less in his inaugural year. You never here a peep about that from the snarling critics.  

No one is suggesting that this administration hasn't made mistakes. They certainly have. But if one is fair-minded and put things in perspective the overview is that they have done good job and have successfully laid the groundwork for more success. 

Didn’t I read that they were lucky to sneak in and they weren’t real contenders? I thought I read that, so they do comment...... ?

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Why do you and others constantly spin things in a negative direction?

I don't have to defend my opinions to you or anybody else.   I don't continually ask you why you pretend that badly McDermott and Beane didn't mismanage the QB situation in 2018?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Per the bold, abso friggen lutely!

The inherited roster was largely played out, especially at the most critical position in sports (never mind some were and continue to be convinced that all TT needed was a better supporting cast). Now I expect to see the usual suspects chime in with, "Well, if the roster was so played out, why are so many ex-Bills having such great success elsewhere." Not an honest question, imo, as the answer lies in they went to better teams and situations. 

But it's really only a few players. But honestly, had we kept those players, especially with TT at the helm, can anyone really suggest with a straight face that they'd have experienced the same success? No. And Woods and Gilmore were leaving, anyway. 

BUT WE DIDN'T DRAFT MAHOMES OR WATSON!!! While that's fair, especially with the required 20/20 hindsight goggles, I cannot fault a front office that didn't have either rated highly enough, especially with the 2018 QB draft class on the horizon. And again, that assumes the absurd notion that either would have had the same kind of success in Buffalo. 

I gotta stop now. I just started enjoying a nice Sunday afternoon pour and rehashing the same crap ruins a nice scotch. 

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't have to defend my opinions to you or anybody else.   I don't continually ask you why you pretend that badly McDermott and Beane didn't mismanage the QB situation in 2018?

No you don't.  They're illogical and make no sense most of the time but you're entitled to them, just as I and others are entitled to point out how ridiculous you get.

By the way I have posted that they mismanaged the QB situation, and that I give credit to Beane for acknowledging that.  On more than one occasion last year I said the problem was they didn't bring a vet like Anderson in earlier.  But, as is normal with you, facts are difficult for you to grasp.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That is your opinion. You are entitled.

If my posts bother you, you and other people can put me on ignore. They obviously do. So give it some thought.??

Gee, thanks. 

But putting people on ignore really doesn't work as one can view those posts when others respond. 

Besides, it would deprive me the cathartic relief of calling you out when needed. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold, abso friggen lutely!

The inherited roster was largely played out, especially at the most critical position in sports (never mind some were and continue to be convinced that all TT needed was a better supporting cast). Now I expect to see the usual suspects chime in with, "Well, if the roster was so played out, why are so many ex-Bills having such great success elsewhere." Not an honest question, imo, as the answer lies in they went to better teams and situations. 

But it's really only a few players. But honestly, had we kept those players, especially with TT at the helm, can anyone really suggest with a straight face that they'd have experienced the same success? No. And Woods and Gilmore were leaving, anyway. 

BUT WE DIDN'T DRAFT MAHOMES OR WATSON!!! While that's fair, especially with the required 20/20 hindsight goggles, I cannot fault a front office that didn't have either rated highly enough, especially with the 2018 QB draft class on the horizon. And again, that assumes the absurd notion that either would have had the same kind of success in Buffalo. 

I gotta stop now. I just started enjoying a nice Sunday afternoon pour and rehashing the same crap ruins a nice scotch. 

I wanted Watson.  Mahomes had a lot of questions with respect to his footwork, the fact that he came out of a one read spread offense, and such.  No one admits that now, of course.  

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Do you give them any credit at all for admitting to that mid stream and correcting the situation? 

Never mind. That was rhetorical. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I wanted Watson.  Mahomes had a lot of questions with respect to his footwork, the fact that he came out of a one read spread offense, and such.  No one admits that now, of course.  

I would have been fine with either QB as we really needed one. But I don't hold that against them. They had their sights set on a better QB class in 2018. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yea. You are really putting me in my place.?

Nobody is capable of putting you in your place. The hope is that when confronted with enough rational thought, you can achieve the requisite level of wisdom and do that all by yourself. 

Good luck with that. We’ll be watching. 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Do you give them any credit at all for admitting to that mid stream and correcting the situation? 

Never mind. That was rhetorical. 

I would have been fine with either QB as we really needed one. But I don't hold that against them. They had their sights set on a better QB class in 2018. 

For quite a while I thought the age of great QB play would be done, what with the single read offenses and such.   The last couple years tell me how wrong I was.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Nobody has said they made the wrong choice? Really? Then why all the complaining about how they shouldn't have cut this guy or shouldn't have traded that guy? Whenever one uses the word "shouldn't" they are by extension saying "that's wrong." If saying the rebuild wasn't the "right" choice, they are saying it's the "wrong" choice. It's a pretty binary proposition for those that do that. 

Any idiot should know we won't be able to say quantitatively whether or not anything was wrong until it all plays out and the final chapter on this regime is written. 

I have not seen anyone saying they "shouldn't" have traded or cut anyone. I have seen lots of people saying they didn't need to trade or cut certain players - Watkins, Dareus, Glenn whoever. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

What's the point of rehashing the rehash? What's the point of ad nauseum haranguing about the same point that another approach could have been taken when we are entering into year three following the declared strategy made upon assuming the job? It gets to be tiresome.

To you it is tiresome. I understand that. To me it isn't. It is fascinating. I am, pardon the pun, a "process" guy. I always have been in every facet of life. That is why McDermott is my kind of coach. To me analysing the strategic choices made and the alternative options and trying to surmise the range of possible outcomes is genuinely more interesting than arguing about who our number 1 receiver is going into training camp. That is the little stuff. I want to worry about the big questions. It is just the way I am wired. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To you it is tiresome. I understand that. To me it isn't. It is fascinating. I am, pardon the pun, a "process" guy. I always have been in every facet of life. That is why McDermott is my kind of coach. To me analysing the strategic choices made and the alternative options and trying to surmise the range of possible outcomes is genuinely more interesting than arguing about who our number 1 receiver is going into training camp. That is the little stuff. I want to worry about the big questions. It is just the way I am wired. 

...and again, often it’s less about what you do than how you do it. I doubt  anyone here has any problem with you or your position on any given matter.