John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Life is a rich tapestry teef and glass half empty people are just as important as glass half full people. I tend to consider myself pretty balanced (though who knows what others think) and I can find people who are always down on everything tiring to be around, but I often feel exactly the same about uber positive people. I manage a woman at the moment who is always positive, to what I consider an unrealistic level. I struggle with that too. Sometimes you need to say things as they are when they are bad rather than spinning them. She is good at her job, but she is an awful manager of her team as a result. Because their expectations as a team are never in accordance with the reality of the context in which we are working. 

i completely agree.  balance is good, but the uber extremes are bad.  i'm definitely more of a casual reader of this board, mostly because i like the entertainment, but also because i learn a lot from some of the more knowledgeable posters.  that being said, i think there's something we've all realized from the uber negative side.  there's such a shocking need to be correct.  why...i have no idea, but it's like they just can't let themselves believe things may have actually changed.  they may not have changed at all, but their constant message of anti-optimism isn't nearly as important as they think it is.

i made the tongue and cheek comment that i found someone's posting to be depressing, and the first place that poster went was thinking that their message is so powerful, that it actually alters my mood.  that just seems to be the way that group rolls.  in this thread alone, i've seen some of these posters twist words, change arguments, and even lie for the sake of being right.  i like to read all viewpoints...it's how we learn, but some posters have just shown not to be worth the time.  not because of the message they push, but more because they're just plain unreasonable.

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

And im sure none the overly positive posters settle for less in their personal lives. 

i don't think it has anything to do with settling.  it's just more the glasses some choose to view life through.

56 minutes ago, Magox said:

Glass half empty posters are valued, Glass with just backwash remaining.........

Not so much

exactly.  there's a difference.  i think most realize that the posters we're referring to aren't your typical poster that just leans towards the doubtful side.  they like to lump themselves into that group, but they're easy to pick out.  hell, you can't avoid them.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, teef said:

i completely agree.  balance is good, but the uber extremes are bad.  i'm definitely more of a casual reader of this board, mostly because i like the entertainment, but also because i learn a lot from some of the more knowledgeable posters.  that being said, i think there's something we've all realized from the uber negative side.  there's such a shocking need to be correct.  why...i have no idea, but it's like they just can't let themselves believe things may have actually changed.  they may not have changed at all, but their constant message of anti-optimism isn't nearly as important as they think it is.

i made the tongue and cheek comment that i found someone's posting to be depressing, and the first place that poster went was thinking that their message is so powerful, that it actually alters my mood.  that just seems to be the way that group rolls.  in this thread alone, i've seen some of these posters twist words, change arguments, and even lie for the sake of being right.  i like to read all viewpoints...it's how we learn, but some posters have just shown not to be worth the time.  not because of the message they push, but more because they're just plain unreasonable.

i don't think it has anything to do with settling.  it's just more the glasses some choose to view life through.

exactly.  there's a difference.  i think most realize that the posters we're referring to aren't your typical poster that just leans towards the doubtful side.  they like to lump themselves into that group, but they're easy to pick out.  hell, you can't avoid them.

I think you need a hug.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think you need a hug.

i mean...if you're handing them out.  that being said, if you're going to offer, don't half ass it.  i expect it to be a full embrace.  

• Haha (+1) 1

It is undoubtedly frustrating at times to be a BIlls fan.  But I try to remain optimistic each year. I think the only times I can recall going into seasons knowing It as going to be terrible was the era from around '68-'72 when we had coaches who had no clue like John Rauch (using OJ as a decoy!!) and Harvey Johnson, QBs like Dan Darraugh, Marlin Briscoe, James Harris,.  Those years were very difficult to be a fan to be sure; much, much more difficult than today.  And then of course the Kay Stephenson/Hank Bullough, Bruce Matheson years - another lovely time in Bills history.

This year you have a young promising QB, promising guys on defense, a revamped O line, et.  So I honestly don't get the negativity in some quarters.  Sure, it might not work out.  But I'm forced to conclude it's either some kind of psychological defense mechanism to avoid being disappointed again this coming year, or folks just trying to be snarky for the purpose of being so.

And yes, those who are claiming the opposite, that we're a Super Bowl contender, the ones that dig through the manure pile because there has to be a pony under there can be just as difficult to deal with.

Ultimately we all have opinions, and the fun of this place is to express those and debate those.  Just two things I wish folks would keep in mind:  1.  opinions are not facts, and as such don't express you opinions as such, and 2.  try to be consistent and use some form of logical framework in postings.  Some folks will say that black is white, and when you explain why it isn't they then start talking about how the sky is blue.  State an opinion, base it in some logical framework, and then stand behind it.

21 minutes ago, teef said:

i mean...if you're handing them out.  that being said, if you're going to offer, don't half ass it.  i expect it to be a full embrace.  

Beware! I think you can expect him to go whole ass on you! 

• Haha (+1) 1

I try to be realistic. 

I mean, the uniforms suck, the team rarely wins, and the food in the stadium is pretty bad.  Even the name is stupid.  Buffalo Bills?   Buffalo Bill didn't have anything to do with Buffalo.  And the logo is just as bad - those are bison, not buffalo, and there weren't any bison in Buffalo.  The whole thing is stupid if you ask me. 

The quarterback was awful last season and hasn't shown me a thing yet this season.  EJ manual and JP Losman were exactly the same story.

The running backs are ridiculous.  I mean, why not sign Franco Harris and Crazy Legs Hirsch (or is he dead?)?  The Bills have no pass receivers who have led the league in either (1) receptions, (2) yards, (3) TDs or (4) sideline shouting matches with coaches and quarterbacks.  On defense, no one compares with Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett or Butch Byrd.  

The whole thing is just pointless.  

Like I said, I'm just being realistic.   I can't deal with the knee-jerk negativity we see around here some of the time.   And the optimists?   What's with THOSE people?

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I try to be realistic. 

I mean, the uniforms suck, the team rarely wins, and the food in the stadium is pretty bad.  Even the name is stupid.  Buffalo Bills?   Buffalo Bill didn't have anything to do with Buffalo.  And the logo is just as bad - those are bison, not buffalo, and there weren't any bison in Buffalo.  The whole thing is stupid if you ask me. 

The quarterback was awful last season and hasn't shown me a thing yet this season.  EJ manual and JP Losman were exactly the same story.

The running backs are ridiculous.  I mean, why not sign Franco Harris and Crazy Legs Hirsch (or is he dead?)?  The Bills have no pass receivers who have led the league in either (1) receptions, (2) yards, (3) TDs or (4) sideline shouting matches with coaches and quarterbacks.  On defense, no one compares with Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett or Butch Byrd.  

Like I said, I'm just being realistic.   I can't deal with the knee-jerk negativity we see around here some of the time.   And the optimists?   What's with THOSE people?

THAT’S the spirit!!!

Now you’re being “objective”. 

I’ll say it again, I think the “optimists” are far more willing to admit what is wrong than the “pessimists” are willing to admit what is right. Hats off to the few who can see both sides fully. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I try to be realistic. 

I see what you did there, good show. 

• 5 weeks later...