John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

17 minutes ago, eball said:

What's weird is that folks can't understand comparing a player's production with the expectations arising from his draft position.

At this point in his career Sammy Watkins has stolen millions of dollars from three NFL franchises.

He's basically Sam Bradford.

20 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Isn't it obvious?  I mean look at how the Rams offense fell apart after they lost him.

16 minutes ago, teef said:

That was being predicted too. Once the hof decoy left, the rams were doomed. If I’m not mistaken, the ram’s offense improved slightly after sammy’s departure. 

I know you guys don't follow the NFL............but when the Rams couldn't reach a deal with Watkins they traded their first round pick for Brandin Cooks to replace him.

I get not being CLOSE followers of the NFL but for fuxake the Rams played in the Super Bowl............did you catch that game?:flirt:

And I don't remember anyone predicting the Rams offense was going to fall apart...........Watkins signing with KC and Cooks being traded to LA happened pretty close together.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

24 minutes ago, Magox said:

Most players don't play 16 game seasons, so whether we are discussing it based off of 9 or 10 games is within the margin and in between the numbers you and I put forth on a prorated basis.  Even if we were to go based off of your numbers, do 60 receptions, 750 yards, 13 yards per reception and 5 TD's justify $16 M a year?   Before you answer I think it goes without saying that the final numbers were 40 receptions which is where he should be judged.

It's not just a matter of staying healthy, it's much more than that.  It's consistency, for everyone one good game such as the one you referenced, there are 2 games where he is a complete non factor and another decent game.   He hasn't demonstrated over the past 3 years to be a consistent force on the field.  That's been his biggest hangup along with his injuries.

And no one doubts his talent, but we are way past that now.   

Let's see what he does this year. I'm not passing judgment yet. I won't be shocked if he gets hurt again, but I also won't be shocked if he puts up 1400+ yards and 12 TDs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think that's the case.  Our entire offensive line has changed.  We added two new FA WR.  We made 3 additions to the RB position.

A whole new TE unit.  It's not the same at all.

Not to mention changes in the coaching staff.

Billfrom NYC is correct.  My point was that the two senior leaders of football ops - McBeane - are the same ones here for all 3 seasons.

In short, the dudes who make final decisions and have charted a course for this organization remain in power.

The one subject that's impossible to convince people about, hence this 80+ page thread, is a criticism of strategic decision making.  I see people talking throughout who simply do not understand that, absent result, McBeane's decisions will be scrutinized and "trust the process" isn't sufficient.    

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know you guys don't follow the NFL............but when the Rams couldn't reach a deal with Watkins they traded their first round pick for Brandin Cooks to replace him.

I get not being CLOSE followers of the NFL but for fuxake the Rams played in the Super Bowl............did you catch that game?:flirt:

And I don't remember anyone predicting the Rams offense was going to fall apart...........Watkins signing with KC and Cooks being traded to LA happened pretty close together.

Yes, they signed Brandon Cooks, but he filled a different role- to the tune of 80 grabs and 1,200+ yards.

Who replaced Sammy as the master decoy?

• Haha (+1) 1

I think it's too early to write the book on McDermott and Beane.

At the very least, let's see how this season shakes out.  Then I think it's fair to begin grading their overall tenure.

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

nah.  the rams let him go.  he was unproductive so buh bye.  you may not remember it, but many times the comment was made to just watch how the ram's offense falters after sammy leaving.  many, many times.

again, i don't dislike sammy at all, and i think he's wildly talented.  there's no reason he should be better than he is, but i do understand part of it has been his health.  i don't want the guy to fail, but he does have to be better this year or his career is in trouble.  same can be said for a number of people and players on the bills.  it's a prove it year for many.

18 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Billfrom NYC is correct.  The two senior leaders of football ops - McBeane - are the same ones here for all 3 seasons. 

When you post stuff like this it really appears as if you have an agenda.  Yes, McBeane are still here and have been turning over the roster.  Do you think it is intellectually honest or productive to suggest that the offensive production for this year's team will be the same as last year or 2017 simply because the HC and GM are same but probably 2/3 of the offensive starters are different?

Come on, dude.

52 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I feel like he was referring to team management in his post.

And if he was, it's an agenda-driven post.

Edited by eball

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why couldn't the Rams reach a deal with Watkins when they could with Cooks?  They signed for the same amount of money per year, just less years.

So the Rams were willing to pay Cooks $16 million a year, but not Watkins.  That $16 million a year is what Watkins got in KC.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Billfrom NYC is correct.  My point was that the two senior leaders of football ops - McBeane - are the same ones here for all 3 seasons.

In short, the dudes who make final decisions and have charted a course for this organization remain in power.

The one subject that's impossible to convince people about, hence this 80+ page thread, is a criticism of strategic decision making.  I see people talking throughout who simply do not understand that, absent result, McBeane's decisions will be scrutinized and "trust the process" isn't sufficient.    

Yes they have been here.

It seems like this FO is being criticized for not winning with Rex Ryan/Doug Whaley's team.  They obviously didn't like the make up of the team so they cleaned house, cleaned the cap.  They are taking the "you gotta break a couple eggs to make an omelette approach".  If they feel that was the best approach, then do it.  We weren't winning before, so why continue going down the old regimes path?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Just tell me your theory on why they couldn't get a deal with Watkins.  The Rams were able to get Cooks under contract for $16 million.  The Chiefs were able to get Sammy at $16 million.  Why couldn't the Rams get Sammy done at $16 million? 

On top of having to give up a 1st for Cooks...

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just tell me your theory on why they couldn't get a deal with Watkins.  The Rams were able to get Cooks under contract for $16 million.  The Chiefs were able to get Sammy at $16 million.  Why couldn't the Rams get Sammy done at $16 million? 

they decided to move on from him...that's really the point.  they used a draft pick to get him, and still let him walk, only to use another pick to replace him, and give him the same kind of money.  if they thought sammy was worth it, i'm sure they would have kept him.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Maybe they wanted injury protections and the Chiefs were more flexible?  Maybe they didn’t want to commit the $30 MILLION guaranteed that the Chiefs ponied up?  The Rams (and other teams, including I believe the Cowboys) also were bidders.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

26 and we drafted him when he was 20! We forget how young these guys are sometimes. Still kids in the grand scheme of things but that’s often hidden under their prodigious talents. It’s a shame we didn’t get a fully baked Sammy, but that’s nothing to hold against him forever. I wish him well.

What's your opinion of the decision to decline Watkins's fifth-year option?  I think it's a pretty tough decision to defend.