John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

28 minutes ago, Chemical said:

truth is, we could afford Sammy and he would be our best receiver by far.

Weird that the guy who played on the best offenses the last 2 years and made the playoffs is a “loser.” 

What would that make the 31st ranked offense?

37 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree it's a pretty good discussion. I've said that in a couple posts.  That doesn't change the fact that some people in the discussion steadfastly refuse to give McBeane positive grades for anything.  This current discussion that trading Sammy was some kind of calamitous mistake is a good example.  There were perfectly good reasons why that happened, and there is no evidence that having kept Sammy would have changed the fortunes of the Bills in any material way, and yet some people continue to point to it as some major failing.  You want to argue about a player who has had success, like Mahomes, fine. I get that.  But arguing that McBeane are failing because of Watkins is stubborn or stupid.  I will listen to that argument when Sammy has a legitimate 1000 yard season, not before.  

I dont think there is even a 5% chance McBeane are in trouble if the Bill's are 8-8 this year.  They have been completely clear that they're building for the long term and there's no evidence that the Pegulas aren't on board with that.  The Pegs could grow impatient, for sure, but I think that happens only at 6-10 or worse.  

No one is saying they are failing because of Watkins.  (Not sure how many people are actually saying they are failing; the doubters are mostly just saying that they are skeptical.)  On the other hand, it's entirely fair to criticize the way the Watkins situation was handled, starting with the team's decision not to exercise the 5th year option.  IMO, that was just a flat-out bad decision that hurt the Bill's leverage in any trade negotiations.  And Sammy averaged over 1000 yards receiving his first two seasons with the Bills, so I guess you have to listen now?

You are entitled to your opinion regarding McDermott's job security.  IMO, there is little difference between 6-10 and an 8-8 season in which the team was basically eliminated from playoff contention in early December and was non-competitive in both games against NE.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Weird that the guy who played on the best offenses the last 2 years and made the playoffs is a “loser.” 

Weird than McVay, the guy who operates the elite offense didn't keep Sammy 1 year after trading him.  Then decided to tag a Safety instead of Sammy.

Very weird.

10 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Speaking of Head and Shoulders, did you know that Sammy Watkins is head and shoulders better than any WR on our roster?

discuss.

They'll need a new spokesperson and I don't think Sammy has any current endorsements.....

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sick burn old man!  Clearly Sammy is losing out by playing out on SB contenders,  the best offense in the entire league, and making $16 million/ year.  What a loser!

Andy Reid, Sean McVay

I don't think anyone will argue that Sam keeps getting put into excellent situations and being paid well in the process.

The fact of the matter is that he's been Mr. Irrelevant on these SB contenders' best offenses in the entire league.  And that's because he's injury prone and won't play through any kind of discomfort.  Again ... fact.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't think anyone will argue that Sam keeps getting put into excellent situations and being paid well in the process.

The fact of the matter is that he's been Mr. Irrelevant on these SB contenders' best offenses in the entire league.  And that's because he's injury prone and won't play through any kind of discomfort.  Again ... fact.

$16M

Andy/Sean

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Nothing I've seen from Pegula so far suggests that Pegula knows what he's doing.  I began to suspect he wasn't the owner to bring winning football back to Buffalo when he sent most of Ralph's minions packing but not only failed to remove Russ Brandon but promoted him to head up both the Bills and Sabres organizations.  How does the CEO/President/GM of an organization that had a winning percentage of less than .400 over the length of his nearly decade tenure merit being retained by new ownership -- and then given a promotion? 

Nothing? Nothing at all? Does constructing a state of the art training and sports medicine facility for the betterment of his players not indicate at least one thing? 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What's weird is that folks can't understand comparing a player's production with the expectations arising from his draft position.

At this point in his career Sammy Watkins has stolen millions of dollars from three NFL franchises.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think that's the case.  Our entire offensive line has changed.  We added two new FA WR.  We made 3 additions to the RB position.

A whole new TE unit.  It's not the same at all.

Not to mention changes in the coaching staff.

I feel like he was referring to team management in his post.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Can we close this thread? It literally has nothing to do with the topic.

Feel free to not participate—or go post in the “Bills have the 19th best fan base” thread, or both.  

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

But if we are to do so with Sammy, why then do we have posts declaring that we need to give up on a Zay Jones?  Why do we have a thread about when to pull the plug on Allen this coming season, his second season in a very difficult position, when he showed such promise last year. Why should we have patience for other teams' players but not our own?

I have no ax to grind wrt Sammy, other than the fact that I hated the trade to draft him.

That said, Sammy is 10x more talented than Zay Jones at every aspect single aspect of the wide receiver position.

I took guitar lessons yeas ago and still have a nice acoustic I play around with every now and then. Let us not compare me to Jerry Garcia. ;)

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Either way, he was on pace for for more than 60 receptions and 750 yards. 

I do realize he gets hurt too much, but anyone watching a healthy Sammy play vs. NE in the AFC championship game could see the lights-out talent on display. He was great in that game, and anyone who denies that wasn't watching. If he stays healthy -- and yeah, I know it's a huge if given past history -- he may well have a dominant season given the quality of the QB and the absence of Hill. He is still young, remember. He turned 26 just 12 days ago, and his huge physical talent and receiving skills are readily evident to those with eyes. Anyway, the book on him hasn't come close to being completed yet. 

Most players don't play 16 game seasons, so whether we are discussing it based off of 9 or 10 games is within the margin and in between the numbers you and I put forth on a prorated basis.  Even if we were to go based off of your numbers, do 60 receptions, 750 yards, 13 yards per reception and 5 TD's justify $16 M a year?   Before you answer I think it goes without saying that the final numbers were 40 receptions which is where he should be judged.

It's not just a matter of staying healthy, it's much more than that.  It's consistency, for everyone one good game such as the one you referenced, there are 2 games where he is a complete non factor and another decent game.   He hasn't demonstrated over the past 3 years to be a consistent force on the field.  That's been his biggest hangup along with his injuries.

And no one doubts his talent, but we are way past that now.   

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Feel free to not participate—or go post in the “Bills have the 19th best fan base” thread, or both.  

Zinger, you sound super cool. This thread still has nothing to do with the topic. I suggest you focus your meager wit elsewhere

iu.jpeg.98fef693ac55ffab5ddc6af4f024f62d.jpeg

28 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do you really not understand how foolish this sounds?  What exactly did Sammy do to help these fantastic offenses?  

Just now, teef said:

Do you really not understand how foolish this sounds?  What exactly did Sammy do to help these fantastic offenses?  

Isn't it obvious?  I mean look at how the Rams offense fell apart after they lost him.

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have no ax to grind wrt Sammy, other than the fact that I hated the trade to draft him.

That said, Sammy is 10x more talented than Zay Jones at every aspect single aspect of the wide receiver position.

I took guitar lessons yeas ago and still have a nice acoustic I play around with every now and then. Let us not compare me to Jerry Garcia. ;)

So, you’re the Zay Jones of guitar playing?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Isn't it obvious?  I mean look at how the Rams offense fell apart after they lost him.

That was being predicted too. Once the hof decoy left, the rams were doomed. If I’m not mistaken, the ram’s offense improved slightly after sammy’s departure. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

But Sammy hasn't exhibited that talent level consistently.  I am not saying Jones is the same caliber athletically as Sammy.  But he can be a good #2 or #3, yet folks here wanted to give up on him year one.

Why is that?  Why is it that when guys are on other teams they get the benefit of the doubt but when they have on a Bills uni they don't?